• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    What would constitute a history of violence, and who decides? Getting in a fight at school? Being in a bar fight when you're young? What mental illnesses? Were already seeing some of the fallout from this line of thinking with veterans. Last I knew in MI if you have been treated for depression this can count against you for a CPL also.

The mental illnesses that immediately pop into my mind are things like schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder, granted that not everyone who has these illnesses is dangerous. One of my good friends is a diagnosed schizophrenic and as far as I know has never had a history of violence and probably never will.

My main point in my original statement was that some people are for lack of a better word, crazy. My opinion has always been that if you're talking to dogs, or hearing voices in your head, and have been deemed seriously mentally ill by a healthcare professional, than you shouldn't own a gun.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    But you're okay with these apparently highly dangerous and unstable people walking the streets, and with having full access to the ability to kill and maim dozens if not hundreds of people?

Are you aware that the third largest mass murder in America which killed about a hundred people was done with a gallon can of gasoline that was purchased 30 minutes earlier?
    Yes I am aware of that. And what would you do with these people?

What would I do with them?!

That is If they are that big of a threat to Society and/or Humanity Incarcerate or Execute them...
    Problems solved...

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    I know a cop who has been threatened to be sued hundreds of times.

Never once did someone go thru with it.

Never threaten to sue. In fact don't say anything. If you're going to do it, do it. When he gets notice from the court should be the first time he hears about the lawsuit.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The mental illnesses that immediately pop into my mind are things like schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder, granted that not everyone who has these illnesses is dangerous. One of my good friends is a diagnosed schizophrenic and as far as I know has never had a history of violence and probably never will.

My main point in my original statement was that some people are for lack of a better word, crazy. My opinion has always been that if you're talking to dogs, or hearing voices in your head, and have been deemed seriously mentally ill by a healthcare professional, than you shouldn't own a gun.

I agree, I know what you are saying. The problems arise when you have bureaucrats arbitrarily deciding what is "crazy", oftentimes it gets set at the lowest common denominator.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Because making it illegal for an "improper" person to carry and/or possess a firearm will stop that person from doing so, correct?

I am very concerned about you becoming a police officer, after reading your postings.

I never referred to these people as "improper." And as far as I'm aware there is no 100% surefire way to make sure that an individual, mentally ill or otherwise, from committing a crime short of incarceration.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    What would I do with them?!

That is If they are that big of a threat to Society and/or Humanity Incarcerate or Execute them...
    Problems solved...
    ^This^ If they can't be trusted with owning a firearm then why should they be trusted at all?

If they are prone to violence and wanna shoot someone they will do it whether they can legally posses a firearm or not.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I agree, I know what you are saying. The problems arise when you have bureaucrats arbitrarily deciding what is "crazy", oftentimes it gets set at the lowest common denominator.

Ideally people trained and experienced in dealing with the mentally ill should be the only people allowed to define "crazy" in a legal or medical sense of the word. Congress has no idea or understanding of how mentall illnesses work, and it's different depending on the illness and the individual.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ideally people trained and experienced in dealing with the mentally ill should be the only people allowed to define "crazy" in a legal or medical sense of the word. Congress has no idea or understanding of how mentall illnesses work, and it's different depending on the illness and the individual.
    There are a LOT of Servicemembers scared to get help for their PTSD due to the Mental Issue that gets attached to it. As posted earlier, in Michigan it is a Flag against their CPL. Who gets to draw the Line on what is Crazy and what is Sane?!

Out of Curiosity, due you know why the Original Gun Control Laws stemmed from here?!

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    There are a LOT of Servicemembers scared to get help for their PTSD due to the Mental Issue that gets attached to it. As posted earlier, in Michigan it is a Flag against their CPL. Who gets to draw the Line on what is Crazy and what is Sane?!

Out of Curiosity, due you know why the Original Gun Control Laws stemmed from here?!

That makes me sad. Sad because those brave men and women fought for their country and are too afraid to get help for the psychological trauma they suffered doing so. I don't know alot about PTSD, but I'd guess that the majority of the people who are unfortunate enough to suffer from it aren't violent, and with treatment can overcome it.

And to answer your question Good Sir, no I do not.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    That makes me sad. Sad because those brave men and women fought for their country and are too afraid to get help for the psychological trauma they suffered doing so. I don't know alot about PTSD, but I'd guess that the majority of the people who are unfortunate enough to suffer from it aren't violent, and with treatment can overcome it.
    I think it is sadder that they are being treated like Criminals for Voluntarily seeking out treatment. By the way did you know that the Lautenberg Act can be used against them in some cases depending on how their State words the Denial for a Permit/License. Which may destroy the rest of their Career...

And to answer your question Good Sir, no I do not.
    We'll call that your home work assignment.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I think it is sadder that they are being treated like Criminals for Voluntarily seeking out treatment. By the way did you know that the Lautenberg Act can be used against them in some cases depending on how their State words the Denial for a Permit/License. Which may destroy the rest of their Career...

We'll call that your home work assignment.

Oh no! I don't go back to school till August and until then NO HOMEWORK! :rockwoot:But seriously, I'll add that to the list of things I want to read. I haven't had time to read anything that isn't a textbook in a long time.

On a more serious note, I think that if you've served your country, and provided you weren't dishonorably discharged while in service to this great nation of ours, then we should do everything we possibly can to help you adjust back to society, including helping you with your PTSD.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    On a more serious note, I think that if you've served your country, and provided you weren't dishonorably discharged while in service to this great nation of ours, then we should do everything we possibly can to help you adjust back to society, including helping you with your PTSD.
    A lot of times it isn't the ability to get help, it's the willingness for the servicemen to admit that it is a problem. Most of the time this is because of the stigma that has been associated with it, calling them crazy.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Oh no! I don't go back to school till August and until then NO HOMEWORK! :rockwoot:But seriously, I'll add that to the list of things I want to read. I haven't had time to read anything that isn't a textbook in a long time.
    It is interesting and starts somewhere around 1833 in Baltimore...
    The help is out there and even readily available. The problem is when you have persons inadvertently causing second, and third order effects to the treatment by including crap like Mental Illness Clauses to legislation. In some places once that title is hung on you, you reputation may be scared for life.

Once again, I'll ask who gets to decide what is crazy and what is sane?!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    A lot of times it isn't the ability to get help, it's the willingness for the servicemen to admit that it is a problem. Most of the time this is because of the stigma that has been associated with it, calling them crazy.
    Between the Stigma of being called crazy, and the BS from the G'ment you will receive OUTSIDE of the Military...

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    People here need to understand the distinct and unique difference between the Indiana Code and Terry.

Top Bottom