STOP ME! Is there AA for Impulsive Handgun Buying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Especially because the formula written as:

LTCH -> BRD -> NFA!

Could be calculated easily as:

$300 -> $800 -> $3000
    :n00b:

I think you are WAY LOW on your estimates! :draw:
    You didn't include the ammo, accessories, holsters (and more holsters), training, extra guns you see at the gun shops and shows, the second and third black rifles, trying other types of black rifles, training, etc. I won't even begin to talk about the NFA bug....it starts with suppressors, moves to full auto and never ends!!

It's probably best not to do a real accounting or people would be shocked....especially our significant others!

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Words of advice from a recovered gun buying addict

I can't tell you how relieved I am to read this!! I'm not kidding in the least when I say I was really getting worried because I spend WAY too much time on INGO and researching my next purchase(s). I'm 56 and I've bought my first five guns in six months!! I have the next two picked out: a 380 and 9mm......I'm REALLY hoping to hold out on those....I don't NEED them!!
    For this "illness" I'm blaming my friend who took me shooting in March, my baby brother who's competing with me, my work husband-friend who talks guns with me every day and Greg at my favorite store: Beech Grove Firearms. Oh, yeah....all but one are INGO members!

I moved to IN from NY State where I did not have any handguns because in my county it was almost impossible to get a permit. Soon as I moved to IN I want out and bought a couple cheap handguns and in 97' when I got my FFL I started buying whatever I saw that looked neat to own. I ended up with nine different calibers and a bunch of safe queens. I usually shot five or six of my twentyfive guns.

Last month I started to downsize my collection and sold those guns I hardly ever shot and I am buying a few higher quality guns in calibers I settled on as my primary ones, .22LR for target shooting and 40SW for PP. I also have some .357's and one .25 and one 45ACP. I have a 30.06 and 30 carbine rifles but they will be my exceptions as any other rifle will be .22's.

My suggestion to you is give a lot of thought to what you want to use your guns for and buy with specific calibers in mind for you usage. If target practice is your primary goal you can have as much fun shooting .22's and will save a lot of $$.

Buy quality firearms for a specific reason (CC, hunting or target) and you will not end up with a lot of money invested in firearms taking up safe space; that money could be used to upgrade from the start with higher quailty firearms. I have been there so am speaking from experience.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Last month I started to downsize my collection and sell those guns I hardly ever shot and I am buying a few higher quality guns in calibers I settled on as my primary ones, .22LR and 40SW...

You keep selling and INGO'ers will keep buying!

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    A word from the wise.

DO NOT KEEP AN ACCURATE COUNT OF THE MONEY YOU HAVE SPENT ON YOUR DISEASE.

This is especially true if you are married.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A word from the wise.

DO NOT KEEP AN ACCURATE COUNT OF THE MONEY YOU HAVE SPENT ON YOUR DISEASE.

This is especially true if you are married.

Are you kidding? lovemywoods has his on a spreasheet!! hahahaha

Password protected, of course. . . :D

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    They have, thank you.

You keep selling and INGO'ers will keep buying!

Two thirds of my sales/trade were to INGO members and I want to thank each and every one of you. :chest: They got a good deal and I sold every gun for more than I paid for it so I am happy.

I still have my Ruger Cyclops listed so go back and take another look at it as it is a real deal. I sold 13 guns and bought four new ones and have one new trade. Still need to cut back some more but you know how it is; it's hard to part with some guns even though you really don't shoot them that much; fondling safe Queens is not crime, is it? :D

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Last month I started to downsize my collection and sold those guns I hardly ever shot and I am buying a few higher quality guns in calibers I settled on as my primary ones, .22LR for target shooting and 40SW for PP. I also have some .357's and one .25 and one 45ACP. I have a 30.06 and 30 carbine rifles but they will be my exceptions as any other rifle will be .22's.

My suggestion to you is give a lot of thought to what you want to use your guns for and buy with specific calibers in mind for you usage. If target practice is your primary goal you can have as much fun shooting .22's and will save a lot of $$.
    I concur with that. I decided early on that the majority of my handguns would be 9 and 45 with a couple .22's and .38/357 revolvers, rifles in 5.56, 7.62NATO, 7.62x39, and .22LR+. Only exception is the Barrett 98-Bravo that found its way onto the wish list.

There is no cure. It is hopeless. The only thing you can do is try to ration your purchases, but even then it is impossible.

Stay away from auction sites like Gunbroker
    Stay away from gun shows
    Stay away from gun stores

IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!
    You forgot one other important thing: Stay away from B/S/T parts of the gun forums.

Lovemywoods is absolutely on with his note that LTCH -> BRD -> NFA!
    I'd concur with that . . . I've already been eyeballing an SBS, SBR, and a 5.56 can (a transferable M16 or FNC would be a pipe dream right now). Probably a good thing I don't make enough to play the NFA game yet.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I concur with that. I decided early on that the majority of my handguns would be 9 and 45 with a couple .22's and .38/357 revolvers, rifles in 5.56, 7.62NATO, 7.62x39, and .22LR+.

I dumped .32cal, 9mm, .380, .38 special, 45LC, 410ga; still have a Beretta flip top in a .25 I just can't part with and a few .357mag and my old 1911 .45 that was my uncles. I used to carry a .357wheelgun with either my NAA .22 mini or my Beretta as a backup but I decided to go with .40SW as my choice for PP and forget a backup. It is almost up there with the 45 and will stop anyone that needs stopping.

I learned over time that I am out to have fun and couldn't care less if I am impressing the person next to me by blasting off $50 worth of 44mag ammo when I can shoot $5 worth of .22LR and have just as much fun and work on my accuracy.

Same with the amount of guns I own. if I want to try different guns I can trade or sell a exisiting one and buy new without building up a huge collection of safe Queens. I will stay with .40SW for my large cal, and .22 for the majority of my target guns. K.I.S.S.

This plan might not work for everyone but I think it will work well for me considering I went the "buy anything and everything" route already,

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The worst part is how they seem to get lost in tragic boating accidents before you can even get them home.

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    I was doing fairly well with my gun buying obsession. Gun shops in this area have used firearm pricing that boggles the mind. So I've been buying at shows only. THEN they build a Cabela's within 2 miles of my place. If you stop there every 3 days or so you see some real deals. EXP. Like new S&W 915 for $245. LNIB Colt Cobra $400. The monkey on my back is alive and well.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Just as "Permalink" has more or less stated. The cure will come with the purchase of pattern 1911 pistol.

1) "permalink" follows every post number......
    2) a 1911 pattern pistol purchase is yet another side effect of the same disease! :n00b: To allude to the thought of it being a cure, in any capacity is just wrong. :):

Top Bottom