Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    A buddy of mine's house got broken into today, a couple of guns were stolen
    1) mini 14 blued
    2) Ruger MK1 blued
    3) AK 47 chambered in .223
    All were stolen today just outside of Walkerton. Sadly he does not have any of the serial numbers.
    If I get more information I will post it.
    Where the guns were located we believe it was someone who has been to the house before.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's tragic and unlikely to have a happy ending.

I keep a list of all of my serial numbers on several flash drives and computers. Which reminds me that I need to make a current hard copy too.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Wow, sorry to hear about that. This should be a good WARNING for all to record every serial number of every firearm they have. My son & I took inventory again a couple months ago. We took at least 2 pictures of every firearm we own. In at least one picture we included the serial number printed on a scrap of paper large enough to read in the photo. I saved these on my HD and also made 3 DVD's - one went to his house - I kept one and Wife filed one. I have added a couple guns since - have the description and SN listed but no pics yet - need to get that done.

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    Is written serial numbers confirmation enough or is pictures including serial numbers better. I have not done either yet but will as soon as I get home. I would like to thank all INGO members as I new owner I have learned much from you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I created a spreadsheet that has tabs, one for each firearm. In each tab I record the make, model, caliber, purchase date, amount paid, serial number, current value and insert a picture.

This resides on my computer, back-up HD and the cloud.

In the event I sell something, I add in red: Sold on: insert date here.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I created a spreadsheet that has tabs, one for each firearm. In each tab I record the make, model, caliber, purchase date, amount paid, serial number, current value and insert a picture.

This resides on my computer, back-up HD and the cloud.

In the event I sell something, I add in red: Sold on: insert date here.

We think alike!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We think alike!

I noticed that! Except I don't have a hard copy. I have been on a quest for a year now to go paperless. I have so far shredded a 4' stack of paper. I still have some to go, but I am getting closer to my goal.

Now if I could just get my wife on board...:rolleyes:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The paper copy is to carry with me. I have multiple redundant digital copies (like you), but I like to have paper for things that are absolutely essential to have.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The paper copy is to carry with me. I have multiple redundant digital copies (like you), but I like to have paper for things that are absolutely essential to have.

I can see no real reason to go totally paperless. To many things can go wrong. Call me paranoid but a hard copy of the important things are absolutely required.
    Phone numbers/passwords/addresses/SS info/vehicle info/firearms info/add as needed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm in between. I have one of those Neat scanners and software and I try to scan just about everything I intend to keep. Then I keep the paper for important things at least a year before it gets shredded or burned. For some things, like tax records, it gets kept forever.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I can see no real reason to go totally paperless. To many things can go wrong. Call me paranoid but a hard copy of the important things are absolutely required.
    Phone numbers/passwords/addresses/SS info/vehicle info/firearms info/add as needed.

I'm in between. I have one of those Neat scanners and software and I try to scan just about everything I intend to keep. Then I keep the paper for important things at least a year before it gets shredded or burned. For some things, like tax records, it gets kept forever.

No reason to go paperless. It's just my minimalist personality that is driving me. I have a few important papers(SS cards, passports, birth certificates, vehicle titles, original LTCH, upon death papers,etc) that fit in a small safe that is in my gun safe. I keep most other paper for one year, then at tax time I shred it. I have a few owners manuals that I can't find in electronic form so I have them.

I hope one day to have no more than one file drawer filled with paper. When I started I had 6 file drawers filled.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I agree with Churchmouse. You can go digital all you want but a hard copy is still a must in my opinion.
    I keep a copy in the home safe and a couple other locations.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No reason to go paperless. It's just my minimalist personality that is driving me. I have a few important papers(SS cards, passports, birth certificates, vehicle titles, original LTCH, upon death papers,etc) that fit in a small safe that is in my gun safe. I keep most other paper for one year, then at tax time I shred it. I have a few owners manuals that I can't find in electronic form so I have them.

I hope one day to have no more than one file drawer filled with paper. When I started I had 6 file drawers filled.

I think that a hard copy back up to all the things we all have listed is so important. What if (always a "what If") the grid failed or some other electronic night mare (insert reason) and all you have saved is gone even if only temporary. I did not update my hard copy of contacts for a long time and lost my phone. My world was in there. It took a long time to get all of it back.

I like the safe in a safe....is there another lock box inside the one inside the main one................:D

Top Bottom