• ...and so much more!
  • henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Several weeks ago a friend lost an AR, MAK, and a riot style shotgun. I posted online about it for him but nothing turned up. Yesterday I was talking with a mutual friend who told me the guy's neighbor, an elderly lady had taken them. Apparently she's hoplophobic due to having been robbed while working at a bank. Eventually her conscience got to bothering her and she turned herself and the guns in to the police.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Several weeks ago a friend lost an AR, MAK, and a riot style shotgun. I posted online about it for him but nothing turned up. Yesterday I was talking with a mutual friend who told me the guy's neighbor, an elderly lady had taken them. Apparently she's hoplophobic due to having been robbed while working at a bank. Eventually her conscience got to bothering her and she turned herself and the guns in to the police.

What is hoplophobic?

Glad to hear they are at least accounted for. Hope he doesn't have too much trouble getting them back.

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wow. There's got to be more going on in her head than hoplophobia. She carries off three heavy irons - it's a strange mental picture.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    WTF thats just weird ? She's scared of guns so she goes next store, and steals a few so she can have them in her house ? Yea, don't get it.....

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    What is holophobic?

The term was coined by Jeff Cooper. It means irrational fear of weapons. It's not at Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com but there's a nice write up on it at wikipedia.

Firearms instructor Colonel Jeff Cooper coined the word in 1962 to describe a "mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons". Cooper employed the term as an alternative to slang terms, stating: "We read of 'gun grabbers' and 'anti-gun nuts' but these slang terms do not (explain this behavior)." Cooper attributed this behavior to an irrational fear of firearms and other forms of weaponry. He stated that "the most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user."

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Uponfurther thought....sounds like she cured her hoplophobia on her own by a technique called "flooding"
    Unlikely. Maybe has an irrational fear of her neighbor or some klempto going on.
    Missing any lawn ornaments, underwear, etc?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Is there more than meets the eye with this story? :dunno:

How old is the "old lady"?
    Does she have young kids i.e. teenage boys or early 20's grown men
    (her kid) living with her that pulled a B & E and took the guns
    and she did not want them to get sent to prison so she took
    the wrap hoping for "poor old robbery victim" status?

Just wondering as this sounds weird to me. :dunno:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well, I learned a new word today.

Hoplophobic ---> :runaway::shoot:

Glad he got his guns back.:woot:

Hoplophobia is REAL!

Why, just yesterday I caught my EBR (Evil Black Rifle) trying to sneak out. He said he was just going down to the gas station for some smokes... You know what I think? I think he was gonna rob the place.

I use (2) Ø3/8-16" SHCSs with Loc-Tite & a Master combination lock to secure my XDm CCW within my holster. I estimate it to be retention level 7...and he still wriggles about & tries to get free.

Gotta keep an eye on those guns.
    :rolleyes:

Top Bottom