• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    guns are useless without the ammo. as long as you have propper storage for it and can keep it in usable condition.. i would but as much as i wanted. one day i'll have a place to put it i do hope!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    how much ammo is enough ammo? is their a limit on how much you can buy or keep in stock? let me know

If you live in a free state, the limit is how much you can afford. I will offer the caveat that the feds are spying on you and you never know what they may get their panties in a bunch over, but generally you have buy what you can afford. As for how much, I would say that there is no real limit. It isn't like you have to feed it and God only knows what the future may bring. My guess is that there was no one in Sarajevo complaining that they had too much on hand when the SHTF there. I would say that the limit comes in form of competing with other preps you also need, like food and water for example. Don't forget the bandaids. Hygiene items make a bad situation a whole lot more tolerable as well. Keep it all in balance and it will work out.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Suggestions: buy from different sources, buy in bulk at one, in smaller quantities at another, and then in bulk again later. Unless you have time to shoot a lot, you should be able to stock pile a load of ammo in no time. Consolidate calibers, and buy ammo for those guns in different weights and varieties, but only the ones that work for your guns you own. If you sell a gun that is your only that likes a particular ammo, don't go shoot it up. Instead, work to use it slowly while adding what your other guns prefer, or trade/sell it to a private party for other ammo you need. I myself have several hundred rounds of one ammo on hand because it worked well in a gun I have on long term loan to someone. I'll get it back someday, and when I do, I have ammo for it.

Keep your ammo dry, and secure. Gather it together, and put it all in a place where you can find it quickly if you need it. Be sure that you do not forget where it is, and be sure to mark the ammo cans with the caliber of what is contained in the can.

The Feds do watch...even here. The above will probably bring their ire, but the truth of the matter is that you can never have too much ammo, and you can always buy more (for now). Shop while you can....

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    1000 rds, 500 plinking 500 SD give or take for all pistol calibers and AR types
    250-500 rds for all rifles.
    100 rds 00 buck, 100 rds No 4, 50 slug rds for all shotguns

Replenish as soon as shot, or order ahead if you know you are going to be shooting a bunch.

Feel free to go above those numbers if you find a great deal.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    1000 rds, 500 plinking 500 SD give or take for all pistol calibers and AR types
    250-500 rds for all rifles.
    100 rds 00 buck, 100 rds No 4, 50 slug rds for all shotguns

Replenish as soon as shot, or order ahead if you know you are going to be shooting a bunch.

Feel free to go above those numbers if you find a great deal.

Probably a very reasonable amount if add a few thousand 22LR and a case of bird shot for the shot gun (number six high brass works for everything more or less and could live with 7.5 trap loads if had to).

One can have too much ammo, one of the guys cracked his garage floor with 8mm ammo and other bunch (including this guy) cracked a barn floor with a couple of lots of ammo (this is semi truck and train car lots ;-).

Probably an upper limit of all you will "need" ammo is 10,000 rounds 5.56 and/or 308. Anything more than that and one probably not buying for "personal use" for non hobby shooting, or you have like friends enough firearms for all the neighbors ;-). Figure if ammo is ever hard to get / controlled, then the days of blasting hundreds of rounds in an afternoon for grins maybe done also.

For a well working pocket gun, 200 rounds is probably enough (50 for SD, 50 for back up and the other half for practice over most of the rest of one's life .... replace as used.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Depends. Are you stocking up for practical shooting? How much do you shoot? Are you preparing for the Zombocolypse?

Although I'm not there, I have a goal of 2,500 rounds of 45acp target loads, 500 rounds of 45acp SD ammo, 5,000 rounds of 9mm target loads, 500 rounds of 9mm SD loads, and 10k or so 22LR. This would be STOCKPILE loads - long term storage. It would be used during a component drought, SHTF, Zombocolypse, etc.

Ideally, I would like to keep an additional 1,000 rounds of both larger calibers and a couple bricks of 22LR on hand for target practice.

I'm sure this amount of ammo would be a drop in the bucket compared to some stockpiles on this forum, but it would give me a warm fuzzy feeling to know I had at least that much in reserve. It might sound like a lot but depending on the situation may very well not be at all.

Ammo will be a real bartering commodity during a societal collapse. I hope I never see such a day, but if one can squirrel a little here and a little there, I just don't see a practical reason NOT to do it. Hell, pass it down to your kids. If it doesn't cost you a second mortgage, or diminish YOUR trigger time, I say go for it. It will outlive you if kept cool and dry...

:twocents:

Damean-m44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    N.W. Indiana
    Depends. Are you stocking up for practical shooting? How much do you shoot? Are you preparing for the Zombocolypse?

Although I'm not there, I have a goal of 2,500 rounds of 45acp target loads, 500 rounds of 45acp SD ammo, 5,000 rounds of 9mm target loads, 500 rounds of 9mm SD loads, and 10k or so 22LR. This would be STOCKPILE loads - long term storage. It would be used during a component drought, SHTF, Zombocolypse, etc.

Ideally, I would like to keep an additional 1,000 rounds of both larger calibers and a couple bricks of 22LR on hand for target practice.

I'm sure this amount of ammo would be a drop in the bucket compared to some stockpiles on this forum, but it would give me a warm fuzzy feeling to know I had at least that much in reserve. It might sound like a lot but depending on the situation may very well not be at all.

Ammo will be a real bartering commodity during a societal collapse. I hope I never see such a day, but if one can squirrel a little here and a little there, I just don't see a practical reason NOT to do it. Hell, pass it down to your kids. If it doesn't cost you a second mortgage, or diminish YOUR trigger time, I say go for it. It will outlive you if kept cool and dry...

:twocents:

just wondering if there was a limit the government has, that i had no idea.
    or if their's a limit at gun stores. like i went to the big r store in michigan they had a sign i believe it said 3 boxes per customer. and if not and shtf what would be amount you would have

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    500 times every caliber (.380, 9mm, .40, .45, 7.62, .22) makes me feel pretty good... Realistically that is probably more than one (big) person could carry... not to mention you're missing all those guns/gear as well. In SHTF I'm not staying around my place for very long, so getting 10,000 rounds is useless. Now, the bunker that I would go to...

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    The amount of ammo you can buy & store is only limited by the square footage of where you live! :ar15:

Now...if you have more ammo than all departments of the U.S. government combined...some might say that is excessive. :dunno:

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    just wondering if there was a limit the government has, that i had no idea.
    or if their's a limit at gun stores. like i went to the big r store in michigan they had a sign i believe it said 3 boxes per customer. and if not and shtf what would be amount you would have

It's a limit per customer per transaction. Certain stores limit it to "x" number of boxes per day (Walmart!!!) Which is stupid, because you can buy 3 bricks of 525 22LR or you can buy 3 20 round boxes of 30-06 - both considered a "box".

Best idea - get a press and start reloading. You can do it for a fraction of the cost per round of factory ammunition - especially if you load a lead bullet. I couldn't afford to shoot 45 like I do if I didn't have the benefit of a good buddy with a Dillon XL650. If I already have the brass I can reload a thousand rounds for right at 150 bucks. Fifteen cents per shot beats the hell out of 40+ cents per shot...

But, I digress. When you buy ammo for regular use, pick up an extra box for the stash. Build it up a little at a time and it's not so hard on the old wallet!

If it were true SHTF - like a long term societal collapse SHTF, I would hope to have MANY thousands of 22LR rounds and several thousand 9mm and 45acp. I don't yet own a tacticool 22LR "assault" rifle, however it's on the list. Maybe an M&P 15-22. I would also try to have at least two identical firearms in each caliber, plus as many extra parts as I could accumulate. Guns don't run forever regardless of how much you baby them. A spring is a spring and once it's sprung, it's sprung.... YMMV.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    To my knowledge there is no limit as to how much ammunition one can keep in stock. And if there is, I don't care. You can never have too much ammunition!!

Buy as much as you can while you still can!

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I reload my own and as of recently i have not had the time to grow my stockpile. My goal for right now is to get 10k rounds of .223/5.56 and 5k rounds of 9mm. I keep about 2k of 22LR at all time but i need to get more of that stockpiled and would like to have about 10k or more of that sitting around. I have consolidated down to just those and my 30-06 (which i need more rounds stockpiled for sure). But i kind of think that even if i hit all the goal/numbers i want to i might change those numbers to more because as has been said before...there is no such thing as "enough".

Top Bottom