Stocking firewood without chainsaws, what works best?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    This is just like comparing a gerber/fiskars multi tool to a leatherman/victorinox. Or gerber knives to even a kershaw.

I'll put my Gerber 600 multi-tool up against a Leatherman any day of the week.
    All big knife manufacturers have a less-expensive and less durable line of products.... even Kershaw.

I hand split all of our firewood, 2-3 cords per year.
    I got tired of replacing axe handles and went with a modern-day splitting axe, similar to the Fiskars, and have no problems or complaints.
    Old school tools are nice but there have been advancements made in design, materials and manufacturing processes.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I'll put my Gerber 600 multi-tool up against a Leatherman any day of the week.
    All big knife manufacturers have a less-expensive and less durable line of products.... even Kershaw.

I hand split all of our firewood, 2-3 cords per year.
    I got tired of replacing axe handles and went with a modern-day splitting axe, similar to the Fiskars, and have no problems or complaints.
    Old school tools are nice but there have been advancements made in design, materials and manufacturing processes.

well you may have gotten lucky with your multitool lol. The older gerbers were solid. The new ones from about 2006 on suck. We were issued them in the army and I don't think any lasted 2 months. They were so bad our supply guys started only buying leatherman. We still broke a few if them but the warranty process was much easier and the vast majority of those tools are still well and being used.

As far as splitting axes go gransfors is awesome but if you read their own description they say made for softer woods not hard stuff. I have 2 small forest axes and they are one of the most useful woods bumming/camping tools out there. All their stuff is quality though and sharper than almost any axe out there.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    What works best? Strong children. ;)

Especially if you can get a couple of them competing as to who can split wood better.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I am going to say some things that will come off as dickish but really I'm just trying to explain quality/quantity.

Do you stock up on HiPoints they have the same warranty as your fiskers and are also 1/3 the price of a quality firearm. This is just like comparing a gerber/fiskars multi tool to a leatherman/victorinox. Or gerber knives to even a kershaw.

Some people like dollar store tools, some people like stanley, some people like craftsman, some people like snapon.

Gerber/Fiskar cant even make a decent pair of scissors anymore. Remember when people sharpened scissors now they are thrown away because they fall apart.

Some people are willing to pay for quality and knowing stuff is going to work and usually do a better/easier job. Granted anything and everything can break. But if you just want stuff to rust in your shed by all means they do the same.

Comparing a Fiskars splitting axe to a high-point is pretty off-base IMHO... the high-point has some pretty serious ergonomics issues, low-cost manufacturing, and reliability problems. Compare that to the Fiskars axes (axes are still made in Finland unlike their cheap scissors), the ergonomics trump the Gransfors, they are made with state-of-the art manufacturing materials and processes, and they are extremely reliable...

I think you've become a bit confused. Cost does not equate to quality and you seem to be attributing "cheap quality" as going hand-in-hand with "cheap cost" and that simply isn't true especially when your reference item for cost is a gransfors axe. Gransfors still makes their axe heads the old-fashioned way, forging and hand-finishing IIRC, they use shaped/contoured wood handles that are extremely expensive to manufacture but are no better than a properly injection molded composite handle. All of the "extras" you get with the Gransfors are just that, EXTRAS; things you don't need in order to perform the job at hand. You're paying for the extras.

Lets turn this around into a different analogy; lets use cars for example. Say you buy a used truck that has 22" hand polished chrome wheels, super mud tires, massive lift-kit, roll-bar, lights all over the place, grill gaurd, custome hand-painted art on the side, you name it, the whole gauntlet of goodies. You paid $18,000 for this truck. I go out, buy a truck that is the exact same year, has similar mileage, was maintained just as well as yours, but mine just didn't come with all the extras and may have a few dings and dents, and rust spots on it, I paid $7,000. Does the fact that you paid extra for a trucks with all the extra "bling" on it make your truck any better at getting you to/from work? No, it does no such thing, the extra bling just makes you stand out a bit, gets you noticed, and it's something to talk about. Strictly speaking from the utilitarian aspect all your extra goodies like personalized paint and hand-polished chrome wheels didn't improve your truck a single bit. It still gets you to work just the same as mine. That is the prime purpose that most people buy a truck. If you buy your truck to show off and have a conversation piece, then by all means, you're free to spend that extra money. Just like shiny, nice vehicles have a cult following with some, Gransfors products also have a cult following with some. You can do what you want with your money. But the fact that the extras don't really gain you anything utilitarian in most cases cannot be avoided. My Fiskars will split wood just a easily as your Gransfors; I paid less than 1/3 the cost though. I work hard for my money, I DON'T give it away freely; your product better offer me something (better usability, customer service, comfort, service life, warranty, etc) to justify a higher cost over the competitor.

I, for one, am a strictly utilitarian person, I hate getting gifts from people because half the time it's gimmicky junk; give me something I can use and you'll give me something I will remember! Give me a useless gift and I'll just wish you had kept your hard-earned money instead of spend it on me.

That is MUCH more comparable to Gransfors vs Fiskars Axes.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Comparing a Fiskars splitting axe to a high-point is pretty off-base IMHO... the high-point has some pretty serious ergonomics issues, low-cost manufacturing, and reliability problems. Compare that to the Fiskars axes (axes are still made in Finland unlike their cheap scissors), the ergonomics trump the Gransfors, they are made with state-of-the art manufacturing materials and processes, and they are extremely reliable...

I think you've become a bit confused. Cost does not equate to quality and you seem to be attributing "cheap quality" as going hand-in-hand with "cheap cost" and that simply isn't true especially when your reference item for cost is a gransfors axe. Gransfors still makes their axe heads the old-fashioned way, forging and hand-finishing IIRC, they use shaped/contoured wood handles that are extremely expensive to manufacture but are no better than a properly injection molded composite handle. All of the "extras" you get with the Gransfors are just that, EXTRAS; things you don't need in order to perform the job at hand. You're paying for the extras.

Lets turn this around into a different analogy; lets use cars for example. Say you buy a used truck that has 22" hand polished chrome wheels, super mud tires, massive lift-kit, roll-bar, lights all over the place, grill gaurd, custome hand-painted art on the side, you name it, the whole gauntlet of goodies. You paid $18,000 for this truck. I go out, buy a truck that is the exact same year, has similar mileage, was maintained just as well as yours, but mine just didn't come with all the extras and may have a few dings and dents, and rust spots on it, I paid $7,000. Does the fact that you paid extra for a trucks with all the extra "bling" on it make your truck any better at getting you to/from work? No, it does no such thing, the extra bling just makes you stand out a bit, gets you noticed, and it's something to talk about. Strictly speaking from the utilitarian aspect all your extra goodies like personalized paint and hand-polished chrome wheels didn't improve your truck a single bit. It still gets you to work just the same as mine. That is the prime purpose that most people buy a truck. If you buy your truck to show off and have a conversation piece, then by all means, you're free to spend that extra money. Just like shiny, nice vehicles have a cult following with some, Gransfors products also have a cult following with some. You can do what you want with your money. But the fact that the extras don't really gain you anything utilitarian in most cases cannot be avoided. My Fiskars will split wood just a easily as your Gransfors; I paid less than 1/3 the cost though. I work hard for my money, I DON'T give it away freely; your product better offer me something (better usability, customer service, comfort, service life, warranty, etc) to justify a higher cost over the competitor.

I, for one, am a strictly utilitarian person, I hate getting gifts from people because half the time it's gimmicky junk; give me something I can use and you'll give me something I will remember! Give me a useless gift and I'll just wish you had kept your hard-earned money instead of spend it on me.

That is MUCH more comparable to Gransfors vs Fiskars Axes.

No i don't confuse cost with quality. But i also don't confuse cheap with a deal. I wouldnt call foraging "gimicky junk". nor would i call sharpening the edge "bling". Your example of car options is laughable chrome wheels = forged metal. Do you realize how silly that sounds. A press foot hickory handle = grill guard lol. Hand sharpened = lights all over the place. What is not utilitarian about it. Simple and works.

So in my tool analogy, you would be stanley kinda guy. Nothing wrong with it they mostly work and most people wont wear them out a good choice for people that do a little but not much. The problem is you think your stanleys are just as good as snapons for 1/10 the cost and will attack anyone that says otherwise.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm old and way past the manual labor wood cutting and splitting era. Two Stihl saws, tractor, and a Timberwolf splitter make short work of that job and I heat my house with wood.:)

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    I appreciate all the input! As I mentioned in my first post I have a Fiskars X27, and it is an amazing splitting axe. It certainly doesn't have the craftsmanship of a Gransfors, nor does it have the price-tag. Robjps, if you haven't used a Fiskers splitting axe, you're welcome to take a swing or two with mine anytime ;). I can't personally compare it to a Gransfors, but I think you might be surprised. I do share your sentiment about Gerber knives, my experience has been less than stellar. I guess that's what you get from baby food knives/tools...

Churchmouse, I have seen the Fiskers X27 splitting axe in the Greensburg Wal-mart, so it may be in other suburban or country Wal-mart stores. I got mine online at another retailer for $40.

Timjoebillybob, I am working on my wood splitting army, but they'll need a few years. One 16mo and one due int Oct. both boys. :)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have felling axes from both Granfors and Wetterlings. Both are top notch, but I would give the nod to the Granfors. The balance is better and the bit is a little wider. I haven't used either for anything bigger than 12"-18" in diameter, I tend to use my chainsaw for that work.

I'm sorry, you use an axe to cut down a 12" tree? Man I feel old.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I'm sorry, you use an axe to cut down a 12" tree? Man I feel old.

It is, after all, a Felling Axe. :D I spent good money on the things and I do use them for what they were designed for once in a while. It's good exersize, which I can use. (Jumping to conclusions, dodging issues, and flying off the handle here online just doesn't do my body that much good LOL) and there may just come a day when there is either no gasoline and 2 cycle oil for the chainsaws or I do not wish the noise to draw attention.
    Besides, we here on INGO tend to promote the idea that we should use our SHTF items before they are needed. ;)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    No i don't confuse cost with quality. But i also don't confuse cheap with a deal. I wouldnt call foraging "gimicky junk". nor would i call sharpening the edge "bling". Your example of car options is laughable chrome wheels = forged metal. Do you realize how silly that sounds. A press foot hickory handle = grill guard lol. Hand sharpened = lights all over the place. What is not utilitarian about it. Simple and works.
    I assume instead of "foraging" you mean "forging". Please show me where I said forging is gimmicky junk. As a matter of fact, that line wasn't even directed at this axe comparison just laying out a base to establish the type of person I am when it comes to tools of the trade.

As far as your comparison, I'm not sure where you got all that, but fyi, Fiskars axe heads are also forged, heat-treated tool steel. Other than small variations in geometry they are comparable to Gransfors. They just aren't polished up nice and pretty (IE, the chrome wheels on the truck). And the handle; please enlighten me to the benefits of a "press foot hickory handle". Because from my perspective it's a special, expensively made handle that requires a strike guard (IE, brush guard) to prevent damage when you abuse it. The only advantage I see is the nostalgia of a wood handle; the disadvantage is less durability. FWIW, the Fiskars can handle the abuse of a handle-strike without a strike-guard. Hand-sharpened is a complete waste of money, IMHO; sharp is sharp, and it won't be hand-sharp after the first swing or 2. You're electing to pay additional money for an expensive service performed by skilled craftsman that drives the cost up yet won't improve the function at all. My Fiskars is likely just as sharp, or even sharper than your Gransfors so what did you benefit by hand-sharpenign? Once again, enlighten me to the benefits the Gransfors has over the Fiskars. You've done a great job parroting what their advertising says, and if that floats your boat then more power to you. But I'm curious, when it comes down to where the rubber meets the road, where the edge meets the wood, what am I getting with a Gransfors that I can't get with a Fiskars that can justify the additional cost?

So in my tool analogy, you would be stanley kinda guy. Nothing wrong with it they mostly work and most people wont wear them out a good choice for people that do a little but not much. The problem is you think your stanleys are just as good as snapons for 1/10 the cost and will attack anyone that says otherwise.
    Stanley? Nah, I can probably count the number of Stanley tools I own on a single hand. I buy quality tools, but there are plenty of quality tools that don't cost a fortune. You can buy snap-on all you want. But I work hard for my money. Why spend more of it to get a tool that will perform the job just the same? If there is a true difference in tool performance then by all means, I'm in the buy-once, cry-once camp. But when performance (especially performance under normal use0 is equal, why spend more?

FWIW, even most lower end tools like Stanley perform just as well as Snap-on if you don't abuse them. Its when you abuse tools beyond their design that the differences become apparent. I'll just elect to not abuse my tools; and save my hard-earned money because I don't need idiot-proof tools. I didn't get to be debt free (including 200k+ mortgage paid off) before age 30 by blowing my money on expensive, extravagant tools. I choose wisely, carefully weighing cost vs. benefit and benefit vs. need. But you can do what you wish with your money...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After hearing my BIL sold off his tractor and spliters (he just turned 60 and has lost the desire to cut/split) I am now considering the real answer here is call someone with a truck load of wood for sale. That may be the real answer here. Sell the saws and pay to have a load delivered and stacked....:):

I am fast approaching 65 and I was not looking forward to the task of replenishing all the wood we used up last winter. Looks like another rough on is coming.

Top Bottom