• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    Hey all, my first question to the forum, I will soon be build a long range precision Savage Model 10 and I wondering if a stock would be better vs. a chassis system? I want to put great components into the rifle regardless of price. been looking at the McMillan A5 but also been looking at some chassis systems. Anyone with some knowledge and know how on the subject please feel free to chime in. Thanks

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am no expert on the tacticool stuff, but the better chassis systems do actually work pretty well. I spent 8 years shooting Palma and Long range matches at Camp Perry and Oak Ridge. Almost everyone had a stock. There were a few chassis guns like the TUBB 2000. Things may have changed since 2003. The newer Stocks had internal Chassis (full length bedding blocks) built inside of them. I do know, with powerfull rounds, the Composite stocks have a sharper recoil feel than a heavy walnut stock. I have fired a TUBB 2000, but it was a smaller caliber round that does not recoil much anyway, so it would not be a good comparison.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    I have a couple AICS and a McCree chassis as well as many stocks from both Manners and McMillan. My biggest complaint when it comes to chassis stocks is weight. Most of them are heavier than a standard prone/tactical stock like the T4's, A5 and A3's that I have. Another dislike is metal gets cold to hold on too in the winter... depending on your use and the type of chassis you are looking at this may be an issue. All that said they do offer a lot of adjustability as well as other features that may make them cheaper in the long run than a conventional stock depending on what you are wanting. But in the end it all comes down to personal preference and how the rifle/stock fits you. For me I love Manners T4's and really like AICS 2.0's (just wish they were about 2 pounds lighter, LOL).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    It won't be built for work as I am not in law enforcement or military but just looking to build a great rifle with great components. I want a rifle that's shoots great groups at distance. So far I'm really liking the Mcmillan A5 but with the options I want is almost $1000 but you get what you pay for. Any suggestions or help Thanks

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It won't be built for work as I am not in law enforcement or military but just looking to build a great rifle with great components. I want a rifle that's shoots great groups at distance. So far I'm really liking the Mcmillan A5 but with the options I want is almost $1000 but you get what you pay for. Any suggestions or help Thanks

I put together a few match rifles with the H&S precision stocks. They have the aluminum bedding block and the forearm is thick enough to mill for the installation of an Anshutz style sling/handstop rail. They were a little less than the McMillians, and I saw no problem with them.

Top Bottom