• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I believe it helps because it reduces the risk of a run on banks. IF people think all their money is safe they are less likely to run and pull it out.

Economics has as much to do with emotion as it does actual spending needs.

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, it is not, just that it may(?) help reduce worry.

Regards,

Doug
    I’m taking my money and buying a car. That way the banks can’t lose it for me and I get a new car. Win:win.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I’m taking my money and buying a car. That way the banks can’t lose it for me and I get a new car. Win:win.
    My thoughts exactly. Do you have a big doghouse that I can use when Mrs. oze sees my new Charger Hellcat in the driveway? Yeah, when I see "Hellcat", I'm thinking Dodge, not Springfield. :)

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My thoughts exactly. Do you have a big doghouse that I can use when Mrs. oze sees my new Charger Hellcat in the driveway? Yeah, when I see "Hellcat", I'm thinking Dodge, not Springfield. :)
    My wife actually talked me into it. Right after we went from having 3 running and driving trouble free cars to one overnight.

No domestics for me. Fwd turbo car with 3 pedals for me from the Asian country with the hottest…. Cabbage

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Bitcoin is on fire right now as people move their money out of banks into assets.

After seeing what can happen in the crypto market recently, I think that anyone who views bitcoin as an "asset" is delusional.

Bitcoin was useful when it was used as it was intended: as a digital currency. But then, people though it could be used as an investment, susceptible to market fluctuations, which was backed by nothing other than convincing people it would be worth more than they paid for it.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Credit Unions are a safer bet imho. But I still don’t trust mine. Keep just enough $ to pay bills each month. Grandparents I’m told lost all their $ back in the day. I decided why not learn from them?

When my grandparents passed away in the 70s, I was helping clear out the house they had bought in the early teens. We found money hidden away EVERYWHERE. In the pockets of clothes hanging in the closet, under paper liners in all of the kitchen cabinets, in furniture cushions, in his WWI uniform, etc.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    When my grandparents passed away in the 70s, I was helping clear out the house they had bought in the early teens. We found money hidden away EVERYWHERE. In the pockets of clothes hanging in the closet, under paper liners in all of the kitchen cabinets, in furniture cushions, in his WWI uniform, etc.
    "Cash", not gold or silver?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    They had quite a bit of that too, but the number of bills hidden everywhere was amazing.
    My grandma did upholstery work as a small side business. My grandpa smoked decent cigars that came in glass tubes. When grandma dies and we were cleaning out the house, dad went around with his pocket knife and cut open the seams on the bottom of all the curtains. Dumped out glass tube after glass tube full of rolled up cash. I was only 14 or so and have no idea how much money was there, but there was a lot! They were depressions era kids too, and only had limited trust of the banks.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My grandma did upholstery work as a small side business. My grandpa smoked decent cigars that came in glass tubes. When grandma dies and we were cleaning out the house, dad went around with his pocket knife and cut open the seams on the bottom of all the curtains. Dumped out glass tube after glass tube full of rolled up cash. I was only 14 or so and have no idea how much money was there, but there was a lot! They were depressions era kids too, and only had limited trust of the banks.
    My grandma worked at bank during the depression. She saw it all up close and firsthand.

When stock in banks was selling for fractions of pennies, her and her little brother bought all of it they could afford. This was a pretty insightful and very ballsy move for what were really just kids, in their early 20s.

Grandma and grandpa cashed most of theirs out in the 1940s for a decent return and bought the land that would be their farm. Her brother told them this was a dumb move. It would be smarter to borrow the money to buy land and hold that stock.

Grandma's brother held onto his. Worked as butcher until he was in his 60s. As those small banks he owned stock in got gobbled up by bigger and bigger banks, he eventually owned stock in several of the mega-banks. He was worth millions when died.

Top Bottom