• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you want a good source for info on the market I'd suggest the Motley Fool. They have a good track record for investment strategies and success. If interest rates weren't in the crapper I'd say drop the cash in CD and let it sit. Right now the return would be paltry.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If you want a good source for info on the market I'd suggest the Motley Fool. They have a good track record for investment strategies and success. If interest rates weren't in the crapper I'd say drop the cash in CD and let it sit. Right now the return would be paltry.

+1 on both counts.

Interest rates are low, which is good for those borrowing, but bad for those saving.

OP...tough call. It sounds like you may have some financial flexibility in that you have the $$ saved, and are willing to take some risk. You may want to put together at least one scenario like you did for your last trip, and plan to save the $$ by direct deposite. Worst case is you have some extra $$ as a result and can buy something else.

One option would be to invest in a mutual fun and see if you can get something in the 7-10% range. That would be the best way to mitigate risk.

Also, keep in mind the rule of 72. Simply put, if you invest a fixed amount, and then don't add to it, that amount will double in 72/apr. So, if you found a 12% investment, your initial $1000 would take 6 years to reach $2000.

So...unless you plan to add to the $1000, you're going to really need to hit it big on a penny stock or something else to grow it into 8-9k in 4 years.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @All, jblomenberg16

brought up a good point and one I did not mention in the beginning.
    This first 1K was wanted to see if it was better to invest in something other than just having it sit in savings. The other $8K I was just planning on doing what I did last time (actually already started) and just divide by number of paychecks and just save it that way.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A grand isn't much to invest in. You might almost be better off letting it sit in a good savings account for the next couple of years. It would certainly be safer, given the potential volatility of the market. If losing it, or a significant portion of it, wouldn't matter too much then go for it. Stick it in a money market or something.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have some stock experience. Ruger has been good to me since October :) A good bit of the stock market valuation is the fed printing money, and as I understand it, actually buying stocks. Bubble? If you look at the stock market as valued in gold, in fact its real value compared to the last peak is more in the 8000 range. I don't trust it; I wouldn't invest right now, and in fact I'm probably going to get mostly out of it pretty soon. Might buy a bugout down in Brown County or somesuch.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    :dunno:

That figure is for everything. From the moment we step out of the house to the moment we come back. Staying on a Disney resort is about 1K per person for 8 days, 7 nights for food, lodging, and transportation. When you are talking about 7 people it does add up.

fyi
    no vacation in 2013, 2014, or 2105 BTW

You don't have to explain anything to me. The monetary figure is just...huge (it's about 1/4 what I make in a year). Of course, taking seven people would add up quick.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You don't have to explain anything to me. The monetary figure is just...huge (it's about 1/4 what I make in a year). Of course, taking seven people would add up quick.

You can take larger groups on a smaller budget. Disney has value resorts for larger families as well and the rest of theackage is the same (ie. Meals, early access to parks, character dinning, etc.) The only thing different is the hotel room. Disney does chater to all levels of income. This next trip Iwas to try their top level resorts (the deluxe series) vs the moderates we have stayed at thus why the bigger price plus the longer time to save. It is possible to go every other year ob a budget but Ijust don't see the point as not much changes from year to year.

Plus like Isaid this will probably be the last trip as the smallest one will be 5 at the time and the others will be 'too old' for disney. They want to do universal, water parks, legoland, etc.

Family life.. =)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    with that small of amount, you are not going to do much better than a savings account because of the trade fees.. even at $10 trades, that is really $10 each way..
    you would have to do some rather risky stuff to get a return that covers the fees..
    if you had the whole $9k to invest now you might be able to get 10% return..

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well then looks like it will be a 12 month CD then and let's hope and pray the dollar is still the dollar in a year from now. Look what just occured in cyrpusus ??sp?? 10% tax on all bank accounts!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Well then looks like it will be a 12 month CD then and let's hope and pray the dollar is still the dollar in a year from now. Look what just occured in cyrpusus ??sp?? 10% tax on all bank accounts!

I believe the EU is forcing them to do it as a condition of further bailouts. Forcing them to convert deposits in a bank to stock shares of the failing bank to prop it up.

Would make me nervous to live in an EU country

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    We went last January trying to miss a lot of the crowd it wasn't to bad but enough to break me down after a couple of days. I was like kids were going to Epcot Daddy needs to visit Germany again.

:rofl:

We go in SEP (durning off season) **AFTER** the majority of the kids in the USA are back in school. So the lines are non existent, very few kids (mostly newborns or late teens), mostly newlyweds and retired folks at that time frame. Food is all inclusive in the package so we don't see the cost of it. This is the last one for a while in any case since our youngest will be 5 by then and I have taken each child at age 5 like my parents did before me.

But if I go to your place do I get a token to take home. ;)

Top Bottom