Stippling a Glock - good or bad for resale?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I 'd say just consider a EDC gun as a tool, YOUR tool and do whatever you want to it to make it work the best for you.
    Don't consider resale because it's not an investment.
    It's a gun. YOUR gun.
    If you do decide to sell it, just take what you get an call it just icing on the cake - the benefit of a tool that served it's owner well.
    Personally, I will have nothting to do with a gun that someone has jacked around with. Just me.

Mikeshep1462

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Sweetser
    In my mind, I would say it is bad for resale. I think it would make a much smaller pool of potential buyers, and I personally wouldn't buy one that was stippled. I have often wondered if stippling causes stress to be induced into the frame. I don't really see how it wouldn't honestly.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When I worked in the shop, we would not even take them on trade. It eliminates most customers, and some people remove a lot of material making people suspicious about structural integrity.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Stipling...is all about personal taste! If you want it and like it...then do it! However, don't expect the next guy to like it if/when you decided you want to sell said gun!

Personally, I don't like it! However, if I were to do it, I would have it done professionally...and mildly, not 'all out' like some I've seen!

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I wouldn't want a stippled Glock. Permanent changes reduce the pool of potential buyers. I wouldn't pay as much for something that had been permanently altered because it would be harder to sell if I changed my mind. Even in the case of reversible changes it is best to keep the original parts.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    If you're needs change that often, I'd wouldn't do a thing to it. If you're concerned with resell over fit/function, then it's probably not the gun that you want to train with or carry. I had the grip on my M&P stippled without a thought - I wanted a more positive grip so I went for it. YMMV

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Im sure most buyers will not be kool with it. They may see it as a negative. If you are inti changing guns every so often, Id say dont do it.
    I did my 9c and really dont care about resale value. Its a tool.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I bought one today that I found out at the time of buy its stippled, but it was done very well and in the places that I would want it the most like an RTF2 frame. If it fits my needs, I am personally fine with it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I would say that it hurts the value. I stippled the grips on my M&P9c, but they are interchangeable, so it may not affect the value of my gun; however, I would never purchase a gun that has been stippled on a piece that is not interchangeable. just my 2 cents.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    One mans masterpiece is to another man a P O S. Its your Glock do as you wish, but a lot of times, these modifications make it onto the market and IMHO get sold to someone who has no clue, or could be likes the modefications. I like my car but I dont take a ball peen hammer to it and then someday try and get some $$$ out of it. But thats me I do add trijicon Night sights, a NY-1 trigger spring, and extended slide stop to all mine. Purist I guess.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    If you are planning on keeping it over the long term, then by all means customize it to your liking. But if you want to get top $$ from someone like me, then it needs to be stock. I've bought a number of used guns but I don't buy guns that have been modified or customized for a couple of reasons. First, I don't know the quality of the work since I didn't pick the person who did it. So I'm left only with your word. Second, many mods are very personal in nature and what works for you may be all wrong for me. So I usually just stay away. A stock used gun that has been well cared for is every bit as good, perhaps better than a new one because it's less expensive.

If this Glock is your EDC, you're going to want it to be "yours" in every sense. While I have a few handguns that I sometimes carry, my EDC is "E" because I take it almost exclusively.

On the other hand if the specific mod (stippling) in this case is EXACTLY what someone is looking for in a Glock and your price is right (i.e. they want the stippling but don't want to pay extra for it) then you might find a quick buyer. But usually it doesn't work that way.

I guess the only exceptions would be guns that are almost universally customized like 1911's or AR-15's and you have some very popular mods. But stippling on a Glock? No way IMHO.

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    It's your gun. But since you want opinions. I would not consider the purchase of a stippled pistol unless it had been deeply discounted. I personally don't like the look, glocks are not a pretty gun anyway. I like my glock's because they are dependable and built well. Grip sleeve is my choice but it's your pistol.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I compare it to putting in a pool at your house. Is definitely going to reduce the number of willing buyers but, if done well the stippling won't make it unappealing to everyone.

Ill put my two cents in here about grip sleeves. We had a local police officer killed several years ago. The suspect was able to get his hands on the officers pistol and they ended up fighting over the gun. The officer lost the weapon and the suspect shot and killed him with it. When they found the officer the grip sleeve he'd had on the pistol was torn off and laying near him. No oe can say if the torn grip sleeve was responsible for the officer losing that battle but it certainly didn't help; I'd never put one on a pistol myself.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I always purchase a gun for a specific need. I never purchase a gun with the intent to sell. If I'm going to alter a gun I know up front that the money spent will be for my enjoyment not necessarily someone else's enjoyment. It works the same for my Harley. I upgraded the motor a bit to assist in rider enjoyment (twist the throttle instead of down shifting). I realize that the money spent will more than likely never be recouped. If stippling works for you and gives you a greater comfort level then stipple away because comfort for a life saving device has a value.

Top Bottom