• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've been carrying for years, & still get 'a feeling' when I'm carrying. I defintiely feel different when I'm carrying. What is it? It's knowing that (1.) I have a responsibility now, that is pretty important. That responsibilty is that I have the power to defend myself & my family & take somone's life in exchange for the safety of my family's lives. That is not a little thing. And (2.) It's a feeling of relief that if 6 drunk guys come up & want to mug me or hurt me for any reason, it's not going to happen, and if some crack addict feels I might have the $50.00 he needs for his next high, that's not going to happen either.

This explains it better:

"The Gun Is Civilization"
    By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat - it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal forcewatch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... And that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

THAT ROCKS!! :rockwoot:

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    PCC (poorly concealed carry) NO! I would say POC and I wasn't going to use the word "poorly" but it did start and end with the same letters...... OPEN CARRY!!! LOL

Just kidding you'll get used to it. The main thing is CARRY.........any time all the time!

As for "My wife thinks I'm nuts".......must be newly weds! Mine knows!
    Good job and keep it up!!!!

Oh, mine knows too. But we are newlyweds. Just over a year. She grew up in a very upscale environment, while I was but a peasant, who lived in the farming community. Lol. She likes shooting now, but still shakes her head when I clip the holster to my gym shorts and wear it around the house.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I too am getting used to carrying. I have only oc'd once but have cc'd many times. Just for curiosity, what do you call it when you wear a belt holster that sticks out below your shirt or jacket and is noticeably visible? OC, CC or PCC (poorly concealed carry).

I've started calling partial CC, as you describe CCing without caring if it shows, as hybrid carry. You're partially CCing, but if you show or print or your shirt hangs up behind it so you're now fully OCing, thus the hybrid.

I don't know that I coined it, but it's easier than saying semi-CCing or 50/50.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I've had my LTCH for 22 years, and really feel naked without it. I choose to cc, just my preferance. After a while you will find yourself planning vacations, road trips and everything else around carrying, checking local laws at your planned destinations. Telling your wife that you have to circumnavigate Illinois on your way to Kansas. Ok that may be a little extreme (i have done it though) but keep carrying, practice safe habits, after a while it well be second nature

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    What about the first time you drove a car? Bet you were nervous, excited, wondered if you were gonna make it home without incident. It's pretty much the same thing. Practice leads to confidence. It will pass, and probably sooner than you think.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    For some reason it always came naturally to me, but I'm a very tool-oriented sort. I finally found an IWB that I can CC well, and I leave it in even when I can't carry (work) but I didn't even feel funny the first time I carried to the grocery store.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I oc'd in the car, as usual, on my way home from work. When I got out of the car, I walked right past a neighbor and they didn't say a word about it. Didn't even take a second glance down, just smiled have me a nod and kept walking. It felt pretty good.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Around friends and family I oc, sometimes in the summer I mow the yard in a pair of gym shorts, no shirt and my 1911 riding in a paddle holster. But after leaving the house its always cc with my wifes snubby and a couple of speed loaders. Just glad cc season is finaly back in, hoodies and light button up jackets! I had on a insulated shirt with a t shirt over it this weekend and a real light button up lined carhart shirt and it didnt even print. I checked the draw a couple times it was a little bit slower moving the lined shirt out of the way but still fast enough to get the job done.:twocents:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I've tried to OC many times and just could never get used to it. I always felt everyone was noticing and staring at me. I always had the uneasy feeling that the inevitable confrontation was just around the next corner and after a few attempts I eventually switched back to 100% CC.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Do what you're comfortable with. You're the only one you have to live with.
    I OC I'd guess about 90% of the time when I'm out and about. It's second nature after about 1 1/2 years. I do feel comfortable with OC but there's times I want to CC depending on where and when I go somewhere I'm not comfortable with. I also carry a back up Keltec in my left rear pocket but I can't always get it out quick. I do realize I've taken a stand by OC and only once have I had anyone say anything negative about it. Young gal went into a rant about gun control and all kinds of dastardly deeds I must be associated with. I tipped my hat and told her to have a nice day. I feel as a gun owner I must portray a positive image.
    Situation awareness whether you OC, CC, or Don't C at all is important.

browncoat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    north indy
    I haven't been carrying long and still I feel a bit uncomfortable. I am mostly worried about unknowingly doing something illegal so I will scour the front of stores to make sure there is no "no firearms " signs. Hopefully it will become second nature soon.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I actually have been oc ing around the house. My wife thinks I'm nuts...
    My wife made a similar comment about me the other day when she felt my pocket, hand on my lap, and asked "what's that". I had a speedloader with 6 rounds of .357 in my pocket as a re-load for my 5-shot SP101...she thought I was silly(sugar coating it) for carrying that as well.

Apparently I found some sort of threshold...as if the rest of the crap I carry didn't cross it already in her mind (flashlight, knife, leatherman, phone, gun, holster, keys, wallet, reload ammo) :dunno:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I haven't been carrying long and still I feel a bit uncomfortable. I am mostly worried about unknowingly doing something illegal so I will scour the front of stores to make sure there is no "no firearms " signs. Hopefully it will become second nature soon.

Even if there are signs, you're not doing anything illegal. At best they can ask you to leave.

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    It is what the laws cause to people, they put the restrictions and you get used to, then when you are ok to do so you feel unconfortable doing what is right to do,at the beggining i guess we all feel unconfortable, later on is like a cell phone i feel disconected if i dont have any of my guns at the car or with me, i do take it out only when i go to the movies, police station, big stores and other areas that i know the people can get concerned if they see a mexican carring a gun, but fortunatly i am well known in the area and people know me for my job and not for my guns, but once yo get used to carry, it become natural like carring a phone it get you more confidence even when you are not carring.
    Tho ilustrate that confidence i was once in Harvey Il, washing my car in the car wash and a guy come over with the hand in the pocket of the jacket and told me that i should give him my money or he will shot me, for the size of the pocket it could be a 25 i tought, i smile to the guy and told him," that is nothing, do you want to see a real gun?" pull my jaket to the side and try to pull my .45 from my back but the guy was not able to see it because he start to run like crasy, then i notice that i was not carring my gun that day, but the bluff work anyway, in the other hand mi conficence was high and i did not freak out and keep it cool and this is what it give you to be confident with you gun, know how to use and have practice so when the time come you keep cool head and not start shooting like crasy, i never had to use my gun at nobody and i am not a hunter, i had pulled my gun in 3 ocations but never had to pull the triger, just the draw is suficient to get them on their way.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've had a LTCH for many years now, and I still feel a little uncomfortable some times. Mainly I'm concerned some looney Brady bunch member will see my gun barrel sticking out or see my "print" and Scream "OMG He has a gun!" Silly I know but maybe I'm just a little paranoid. :dunno:

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I've had a LTCH for many years now, and I still feel a little uncomfortable some times. Mainly I'm concerned some looney Brady bunch member will see my gun barrel sticking out or see my "print" and Scream "OMG He has a gun!" Silly I know but maybe I'm just a little paranoid. :dunno:

That's exactly it. And because I also don't oc a copy if the ic, or a badge, I might end up face down with my hands behind my back... Our worse.

Top Bottom