• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I just received a e mail from a friend that has never owened a gun before asking about a mannlicher 9mm pistol. I have never heard of it. Googling I think it is a Steyr which I have also have never heard about. He lives in Cook County Il. I don't know how he came on these to inquire about. He is mainly looking to own just one gun to protect his family if TSHTF some day. Before I tell him he would be better off with a Glock, S&W M&P, or SA XDM, Does anyone own a Mannlicher Steyr? Maybe I just don't get out enough and these are the best option???

PaxRomana

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    I am guessing it is a Steyr M9-A1 that he is talking about. I handled one in the gun shop awhile back and it felt nice in the hand. Reviews have been pretty good although I have seen a few mention feeding problems with certain ammo. They are certainly not the best choice if one is looking for a pistol with much aftermarket parts or accessory support. For a first time buyer I would point him elsewhere. There are just too many proven designs out there with better support....

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    Steyr currently makes 3 versions of basically the same pistol (C-A1, S-A1 and M-A1).They are 9mm but can be purchased with a 40 cal conversion. They are about as ugly as they come, but are reliable, well made and accurate. Steyr has been making pistols since 1912 in Austria. Most of their weapons were way ahead of their time, offering features few others had. look up the Steyr AUG; looks like something out of Star Wars, and it's already been on the market for decades. I've never heard anything derogitory about Steyr products.
    :twocents:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There ARE some older Steyr pistols that are indeed chambered in 9mm Steyer.

If the gun is more modern, such as the all metal Steyr GB, there will probably be a "9x19" engraved on the slide or on the barrel hood.

If it's an even more modern polymer pistol - then it's in 9x19. The modern Steyr polymer pistols are excellent firearms and it's a darned shame that they've had so much trouble breaking into the US market in a bigger way than they have.

Get a pic or two from your friend, OP.

-J-

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    I just received a e mail from a friend that has never owened a gun before asking about a mannlicher 9mm pistol. I have never heard of it. Googling I think it is a Steyr which I have also have never heard about. He lives in Cook County Il. I don't know how he came on these to inquire about. He is mainly looking to own just one gun to protect his family if TSHTF some day. Before I tell him he would be better off with a Glock, S&W M&P, or SA XDM, Does anyone own a Mannlicher Steyr? Maybe I just don't get out enough and these are the best option???

I owned one of the older versions (M9 before the it became the A1) and have to say it was one solid and well-made gun. It had trapezoid sites that I thoroughly enjoyed. Recoil was pretty light.

A few years ago I needed some cash and sold it. I regret it pretty bad. I have been pondering the idea of trying to get another one. I am not a gun guru but I would recommend one. However, as was mentioned- aftermarket parts are next to impossible to find.

Steve

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom