• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMYoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Plainfield
    In this day of increased crime rates, increased unemployment, and increased political pressure gun purchases are up. It is my opinion that many buyers end up at big box stores and buy what looks "pretty," is cheap, and what the sales clerk wants to sell.

I am sure, based on this forum that those store owners who frequent this site are not like that. But I have not seen a forum that tells new or novice buyers how to protect themselves.

So, experienced sellers or experienced owners what are the steps to take to buy "the gun that is right for an individual?"

railbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Noblesville
    Some of the best advice I see here is to go to a range that rents guns and try some out. The other is what your real need is, are you going to use it for home protection or away from home protection. To me that make my options limited.

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I have found in just a short while that it is more than whats comfortable. I looked at about ten 7.62 but found I like the price of 5.54 rounds in the ak-74. I also have since started putting money back for a rock river ar-15 which I am in strong feeling with. I will buy a ak-47 by june but my heart is on ar-15. I bought a sks only to trade it for a laptop did not like it at all. Spend the time on this site and do some reading and I wish you the best of luck.

JMYoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Plainfield
    To be sure the intended use matters most, for some it can be argued it would be that which determines caliber. Then for comfort it seems an individual matter. But it is best to get some fingerprints on some guns at the local shop, like the ones that support here. Price is important, but quality is more so. Your life depends on it.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I have found that doing research on a particular gun helps a lot but it is only reseach. Finding the right gun for me comes down to many things. First is purpose (hunting, home defense, carry weapon, pleasure shooting). Second is comfort and portability (for hunting I perfer a lighter, easy to handle, but still extremely accurate gun). For home defense I like a simple and easy to use gun. For a carry weapon I go for function and speed, I want something that will not fail, and for pleasure it simply comes down to accuracy. Third is price, It does matter dont get me wrong but I will not buy something that I know I will not be happy with down the road. I hate to settle for something that I know is inferior to something else, unless the something else is crazy priced. Compare many firearms before a purchase. Know what your buying and if possible shoot the gun first, nothing is worse than saving up and buying a piece of crap that you are not happy with. Good luck with you guns guys.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I have found that doing research on a particular gun helps a lot but it is only reseach.

THIS.

For ever firearm I’ve purchased, I would say I’ve spend at least one week researching the firearm (mostly online) looking for opinions, problems, tips/tricks, prices, etc.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The problem is average people won't see this or other threads. They see the dumbass DonsGuns commercials and see Gander Mountain when they are out shopping. Also, too many people are bad consumers. They don't research and try to find a good price.

I wish more of the local gun shops would make commercials and put dumb Don out of business.

What we can do is spread the word and educate everyone that we can.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Do not be afraid to ask questions. If the shop you are at makes you feel bad for asking questions then you are at the wrong shop. If you are new to guns then dont be ashamed to admit it. Too many people dont want to admit they need training or just basic info about firearms. Do as much research as you can. Handle as many different makes and models as you can and if you have the chance to shoot different models take the time to do so. There is no such one best gun and everyone is different and has different needs so it is important to get what is best for you. And most important learn about gun safety!!! How to safely handle firearms, safely shoot, basic maintenance, and how to clean your weapon.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    The problem is average people won't see this or other threads. They see the dumbass DonsGuns commercials and see Gander Mountain when they are out shopping. Also, too many people are bad consumers. They don't research and try to find a good price.

I wish more of the local gun shops would make commercials and put dumb Don out of business.

What we can do is spread the word and educate everyone that we can.

Good points!

It may have a have alot to do with human nature, but too many people's choice of 'which' expensive item is swayed by their co-worker, friend, brother, brother-in-law, or other salesperson saying, "this is what you ought to get."

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    If you don't know much about guns, find a friend or buddy who will take you shooting, let you examine some guns, and explain some things to you.

Learn what these are:

Single/Double Action
    Internal Safety
    Bolt Action
    Pump Action
    Lever Action
    Semiautomatic
    Double/Single Stack
    Internal/External Hammer

Essentially, have someone explain how the action of firearms work. It will be of great use when deciding on what gun to purchase if you understand how it works.

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    Research, research, research. Read anything and everything you possibly can about a gun. While nothing compares to actually getting out and firing the gun of your desires, that is not always possible, particularly with new guns. I've bought guns in the past without firing them first, but that was after many long hours of research.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    For me I prefer to stay with brands that will hold or increase in value over time and with companies that have a stellar history of quality and that have excellent customer service. After considering those things I buy what fits my needs and I alway prefer stainless for ease of maintenance but i certainly own a few blues.

So for automatic handguns I like Beretta and Browning in any caliber and Ruger in 22
    For 1911s as a class I like Colt or Springfield and I am saving for one now.
    For revolvers I like pre-lock Smith & Wessons in stainless.

I think if you need to wait 6 months or a year to save up for something it is worth it in the long run - at least it is to me

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Buy, sell, trade, and buy. Repeat this step many times. Then count how many guns you have. Next, sell, buy, buy, buy. Lastly, buy some knives and then start looking into bows.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Or treat it like any other sensible purchase. Shop around an be an informed consumer. No different than buying a car, or candy bar. Find out what you like, what it should cost and then decide if you still want it. If you do, and can, then buy it.

I personally have found that shooting pistols one day or holding it doesn't really give me an accurate sense of how I'll like it long run, after I've had it a while then I decide. Still good advise to rent first. If it's really bad you know right away.

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    Buy, sell, trade, and buy. Repeat this step many times. Then count how many guns you have. Next, sell, buy, buy, buy. Lastly, buy some knives and then start looking into bows.

Brilliantly insightful. The cycle never ends. "I've got all the guns I need, except this one other one" and "I've got way too many guns; I should trade and sell a bunch of these" are two thoughts that are always on my mind.

guns_up

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Zionsville
    Use - first and foremost what are you gonna use it for. Carry, home defense, target, hunting, etc...
    next - wheel guns or automatics. age old question with a billion people having their own opinion.

REVOLVERS
    single action or double action
    caliber
    frame size
    barrel length
    capacity

SEMIAUTOS
    single action - like a 1911, double action like a beretta 92fs or double action only like a glock
    size - full size, compact or subcompact
    external safety or integrated
    caliber
    capacity

this is by no means exhaustive, but how I would start and then research and try to shoot all kinds of things. I know many would have more and better experience, this is just my humble:twocents:

Top Bottom