• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I do not own a Colt, but I own a handful of AR's. Some I built, only one that was bought complete. My go to is the DPMS that was purchased as a complete rifle. It's not exactly stock, but it has proven itself to be the most reliable. From what I have heard, read, and experienced, anything DPMS is hit or miss. I guess I got a good one, I wouldn't trade it for a brand new Colt YMMV.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not own a Colt, but I own a handful of AR's. Some I built, only one that was bought complete. My go to is the DPMS that was purchased as a complete rifle. It's not exactly stock, but it has proven itself to be the most reliable. From what I have heard, read, and experienced, anything DPMS is hit or miss. I guess I got a good one, I wouldn't trade it for a brand new Colt YMMV.

My friend first owned a DPMS. He was just not happy with it. So he went with a Olympic Arms and have been very happy.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    For a longer ranged AR, maybe give a thought to a 20" instead of the 16" everyone wants to shove down everyone's throats. One can do very well in home with a 20" if they know how to hold the rifle, but for longer shots, the longer sight radius helps out big time, not to mention the slightly increased velocity (keep the fragmentation range out a little more, not 200 yards, but further than a 16" swirl tube :D ).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    IMO, the Spikes M4 or Spikes Mid-Length.

ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

ST-15 Mid-Length LE Carbine [STR5LE2] - $809.95 : Spikes Tactical

They have almost all of the mil-spec features of a Colt, with a substantially smaller price tag. Other rifles in this price range may be good rifles, but they lack some of the standard features of the Spikes (most notably the more-desirable 1:7" barrel twist).

I just found out from Aszerigan at Profire Arms & Supply - INGunOwners that he is selling the Spikes M4 for 10% off during the month of September. Even with sales tax and transfer fee, you're looking at $780 out-the-door.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...es_tactical_-_september_sale.html#post1321636

You will NOT find a rifle with those specs for that cheap ANYWHERE.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I think I'm going to stick with a S&W M&P 15 AR style rifle...they are basic, simple, reliable, accurate, etc...plus, they have a 5 free magazine deal going on right now.

Unless...as a friend suggested, what about the Remington 7615 rifle in .223?

car06281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Near Richmond
    Bushmaster and RRA

I own 2 bushmasters and they are good quality and were reasonably priced. I also own a RRA but haven't shot it yet. Both brands are good value for the money

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I think I'm going to stick with a S&W M&P 15 AR style rifle...they are basic, simple, reliable, accurate, etc...plus, they have a 5 free magazine deal going on right now.

This is what I use. It's easy to modify, has great accuracy, and has unmatched value IMO. I also use the MP 15-22 and haven't had any issues yet. :rockwoot:

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    The best value for the money is to get a stripped lower and a kit from one of the volume dealers like Model 1 Sales, JT, etc. Around $550 all told. If you don't relish the idea of assembling the lower parts, you can get an assembled lower for maybe $250 and the upper for $450. I can't speak to these brands holding value, but I've yet to see an AR of any brand for less than the cost of assembling one, new or used.
    My AR is one I assembled and it works great. Admittedly I'm not a competitive shooter or in the military or law enforcement, but I do a lot of shooting and its been accurate and reliable.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    i got a dpms a3 lite and love it, nice tight groups out of the box @ 100yds with a nikon prostaff, hasn't malfunctioned yet after 500 rounds down the pipe, but i only use domestic ammo and clean my gun religiously.

1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a dmps ap4 (m4) that I have shot a lot this summer and have had no problems with it. I have ran several different mag types in it and all of them fed through the dpms with no miss feeds. I would prefer a colt but when your on a budget the dpms works great.

wilbur352

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    I am not a Mini-14 fan, they do not hold there value very well. I would no tconsider buying one for more than $300, simply if you ever wanted to trade it on something else.

I have owned a couple of Bushmasters and shot several of my buddies(colts, RR,Olympic). I think that for straight out of the box it is hard to beat the Bushmaster Varminter 24" barrel and adjustable trigger with a flat top.

Top Bottom