• ...and so much more!
  • hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    First Match of the Year - April 14.

Setup is at 0700. Sign up at 0800. Match Starts at 0900.

Its a great first match for new shooters. If you are a new shooter please arrive early and check in with the Match Director.

Pretty sure there will be a rimfire division. I'll get clairification. (Confirmed with MD - rimfire every month except for the annual 33 rnd monster stage match)

Match fee is $10

Welcome to NPCCC Steel Plates

Last edited:

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    Lots of views for this post. This match is a great way to get started in Action Pistol Shooting. No movement, rimfire division is available, and its lots of fun. $10 is hard to beat. If you have questions please post them. I'll do my best to answer.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    Looks like the weather will be pretty decent on April. High of 79 chance of showers. We'll put up the canopies for overhead cover.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    Got the match announcement today. And food will be available for purchase from the Hot Diggity Dawg Gourmet Hot Dog Wagon.

The announcement:

Hey Gals and Guys Welcome back to NPCCC Steel Challenge!!!!

It’s that time again to come out to NPCCC and satisfy that trigger finger after a long Mild Winter!….

The Steel Challenge happens on Saturday April 14, 2012….

Set up is at 7:00 am & Match starts at 9:00 am. If you can help with set-up we sure would appreciate it.

The Steel Challenge will allow you to shoot 2 guns. 1 Center fire Pistol & 1 .22 Rim fire Pistol. This is the only combination allowed. $10 per gun

This match will host the Hot Diggity Dawg Gourmet Hot Dog Wagon owned and operated by Kim & Mike Morganelli. They have a great lunch menu and will be back if we show our support. So bring some extra change for a great lunch while shooting.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Couple questions on Rimfire division...

1. Does .22 Pistol start from low ready, or work from a holster as the other divisions do?

2. Is .22 Rifle lumped in with .22 Pistol, are they a seperate division, or are .22 Rifles not allowed?

also, guess maybe its none of my business, but if you are allowed 2 entries, why must it be only the one combination?

Thanks for the help!

RePete68

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lowell, IN
    22 Pistol starts from the low ready. There is only one division for 22 pistol, irons & optics are all lumped together. There is no division for 22 rifle. Maybe the MD would consider adding a 22 rifle and / or pistol caliber carbine division? Hint Hint! I know I would like to shoot that! Not sure of the reason why you are only allowed one centerfire & one rimfire, but I'm sure it has something to do with keeping the match moving along quickly & smoothly.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Thanks for the heads up. I think .22 rifle is a way overlooked division that would interest everyone and expand to include new and younger shooters, also wouldn't add time due to gear changing. Wasn't sure how different 2 gun combinations would add time until it occurred that some people would hold up the line while switching holsters and gear and all that. Hopin to be here as long as work allows.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    Newbomb and Mike -

Each stage is shot three times. We'll help you out. There is always someone that will reload mags. I put my extra mags in my pocket. No mag carrier needed.

Most people who shoot two pistols will have one from a holster (centerfire) and a rimfire shot from the low ready. Its really helpful to have a dedicated case(pistol rug) for the rimfire to meet safety requirements (no handling firearms during match unless directed to do so). Its actually pretty fast. I've seen RePete shoot both in less time than someone shooting only one pistol.

If you are able to make the match be sure to let Bud or Bill know you are newer to competition shooting. They will hook you up with an RO to guide you through the steps.

With regard to .22 rifle and pistol shoots. NPCCC has a robust smallbore program. Match is the first Saturday of the month. Next is May 5. Most matches use both rifle and pistol. Targets vary from paper, steel, and anything else Jeff dreams up.

North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton, Indiana

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    Great Match today. 72 shooters and match was complete by 1330ish. The predicted rain never came, just a few drops here and there. Overall a really good day.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I have to chime in here. I was in the squad being RO'd by Hueycrew. Big +1 to Hueycrew.

What could have been a challenging day was handled very smoothly by Huey. There were plenty of brand new shooters (to competition) and even a junior girl. Huey was able to manage all the equipment issues as well as provide minor coaching and guidance without breaking stride once in his RO duties.

Unfortunately, I've seen other RO's with smaller squads and a single new shooter, crack under the strain and lose their bearing (start yelling and become impatient). With a larger than normal squad, it was a masterful performance on Huey's part. Must be that Army training.

Good job, sir!

Top Bottom