• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm buying a rock river AR15. Top of my list of things to get is ammo - lots of it. There is an obvious price difference between steel case and brass ammo. Since I have no intentions of ever reloading, would it be better to buy steel case? Is there a shelf life difference?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Is that the only real difference? Steel isn't harder on the rifle? My intent is to have ammo on hand for the just in case scenario. No plans on shooting the bulk of it.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Is that the only real difference? Steel isn't harder on the rifle? My intent is to have ammo on hand for the just in case scenario. No plans on shooting the bulk of it.

Depends who you talk to, :D the newer stuff has a better coating than the stuff back in the day, so ya, I think that's about it. Won't be "match" grade but should shoot fine.
    I shoot the steel through mine with a silencer (which makes it even dirtier because of the back pressure) and you can run hundreds if not 1000+ without problems if your gun is running right and lubed up.

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Brass seems to store better, I've noticed some of my some steel cased 7.62x39 is starting to show some light surface rust.

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    It's a mild steel and it usually has some sort of coating on it. I have used it with no ill effects. Like the man said though, brass is best..just more coin.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Even if you don't plan on reloading, I personally would go with brass.
    You can always police it up and give/trade with someone who does.
    I've seen many threads here that folks have posted they need brass.
    If I the rain ever stops and I can get my garage built, I'll be able to set up my equipment, then You'll probably see my name on one of those ".223 brass needed" posts :D

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    As has already been said, brass is usually a little cleaner then the cheaper steel ammo. That being said, they both get your gun filthy.

For what its worth I have shot over 6000 rounds of wolf ammo through my SBR and around 2000 brass. No signs of premature wear on any of the internal parts. The rifle chews through it all.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Even if you don't have plans to reload... You might consider getting brass, saving it, and giving Andrew at Profire a call to reload it for you...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    MFS ammo is zinc plated. I have ran 40 rounds through my Bushmaster, with no issue. Most of what you read is internet hype BS.

Watch this video, it was done by our own Full Auto.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3fi1wCSmM&feature=related[/ame]

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    For just plinking go with steel.
    It's cheap and it works.

Right now AIM has a pretty good deal if you buy a 1000 or even better deal if you buy 2000 of the WPA steel case stuff.

Top Bottom