• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I don't know if this has been asked yet, but i was wondering if steel cased ammo(wolf,brown/silver bear) is hard on guns(SKS/CZ-82) I've heard people say it can wear the chamber. Is there any truth to this?

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Good question but for the love of god people, it wont hurt anything. The steel that they use for the chambers, barrels and receivers is harder than any steel used in the casings of ammo.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Thanks, didn't know. That's why i asked. Maybe there are other noobs like me that haven't read all the posts since the forum started. I don't know why you are on here, but i am here to learn, and maybe pass some info along.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    The issue isn't really the chamber, it's the extractor. Most "Western" firearms manufacturers design extractors around brass cased ammunition, and when you start firing steel case ammunition in those guns you can have extrator claws break due to the metal not being up to handling steel.

Robinson has designed the XCR to shoot both, that much I know. If you choose to shoot steel cased ammunition in a gun that isn't designed for it, be prepared to loose an extractor every once in a while.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    The issue isn't really the chamber, it's the extractor. Most "Western" firearms manufacturers design extractors around brass cased ammunition, and when you start firing steel case ammunition in those guns you can have extrator claws break due to the metal not being up to handling steel.

Robinson has designed the XCR to shoot both, that much I know. If you choose to shoot steel cased ammunition in a gun that isn't designed for it, be prepared to loose an extractor every once in a while.

Thank you, that was the informed polite response i was looking for. +1 Were the SKS and CZ-82 designed for steel cased ammo? I ask because alot of spam can ammo is steel.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Thank you, that was the informed polite response i was looking for. +1 Were the SKS and CZ-82 designed for steel cased ammo? I ask because alot of spam can ammo is steel.

The SKS is an "Eastern Bloc" weapon, and designed around steel cased ammunition. I know little about the CZ, but being that it's a Czech pistol, I'd have to think steel case will run just fine in it.

A lot of the steel case ammunition problems occured when folks were shooting lacquer coated Wolf 5.56 in AR15's. The lacquer would get hot in the chambers and melt, causing a serious gummy mess.

Steel case generally will "run" in most guns. The issue is the wear and tear on internal parts not designed for it, such as the extractors.

Kalshnikov intentionally designed the AK to run with the ammunition case made out of ANY metal. He did that with the thought in mind that during wartime brass might not be available. The rest of the Eastern Bloc manufacturers follow suit.

We, in the West, are a bit more cavalier about resources and wealth.

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    In a van, down by the river

I have a CZ and yes, they were designed to shoot the Eastern Bloc ammo that is prevelant today for the 9x18 Makarov pistols. You probably realize from having one, they are made like only the commie's could make a gun. Pistol, hammer, bottle opener, boat anchor; take your pick, it will do it all and still shoot straight as an arrow.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    SKSnut, iron the bunch out of those man panties. Take a breath and return. Input a bit of fleeting common sense and realize that if "western" firearms are not designed for steel cased ammo, it has to at least be more destructive to SKS's compared to softer brass cased stuff. I know of no one who can tell you exactly what an SKS was designed for and how they were all built, but I assure you they were not all built to the same standards. I assure you the barrel will be shot out long before you see any chamber problems.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Have only tried the wolf and haven't had any trouble other than it being a little dirty. Figured as much as I save by buying it, can replace a extractor every so often but havent seen any wear yet. Also, have had great results reloading .45 acp. Just use a little lube when resizing and the poly coating holds up well.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    SKSnut, iron the bunch out of those man panties. Take a breath and return. Input a bit of fleeting common sense and realize that if "western" firearms are not designed for steel cased ammo, it has to at least be more destructive to SKS's compared to softer brass cased stuff. I know of no one who can tell you exactly what an SKS was designed for and how they were all built, but I assure you they were not all built to the same standards. I assure you the barrel will be shot out long before you see any chamber problems.

I'm confused by this - if it's not a problem, could you clarify a bit? I just don't understand the direction, point - any of it - the way it's worded.

Thanks!

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Have only tried the wolf and haven't had any trouble other than it being a little dirty. Figured as much as I save by buying it, can replace a extractor every so often but havent seen any wear yet. Also, have had great results reloading .45 acp. Just use a little lube when resizing and the poly coating holds up well.

Extractors usually chip or break - it's not really a "wear" issue.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010

thanks for straighting me out, im such a stupid loser.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I'm confused by this - if it's not a problem, could you clarify a bit? I just don't understand the direction, point - any of it - the way it's worded.

Thanks!

OKAY? What's not to understand? We all know steel is harder and in most cases, more abraisive than brass. Therefore doesn't it stand to reason that steel cased ammo will cause more wear anyplace it comes into contact than brass would?

Extractors usually chip or break - it's not really a "wear" issue.

Really? Although I've had both happen I don't know which has taken place more often, breakage or wear.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    OKAY? What's not to understand? We all know steel is harder and in most cases, more abraisive than brass. Therefore doesn't it stand to reason that steel cased ammo will cause more wear anyplace it comes into contact than brass would?

Really? Although I've had both happen I don't know which has taken place more often, breakage or wear.

Speaking of abrasive...

...but I digress.

The original question was what type of damage, if any, can happen from shooting steel cased ammunition. My answer is simple: No damage will occur in guns that are designed to digest it, and in those that aren't, extractors seem to be what breaks most often, usually within a few thousand rounds.

What I didn't understand was anything you typed in that reply. It simply didn't makes sense to me - like, it didn't read like English, sense. Not, I don't understand your point, sense.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I shot probably 2-3K rds of Wolf 223 in my SIG556, AR15 and MSAR556 without any problems. I used to pay extra for brass but since I don't reload I really don't see the point of it anymore and just grab whatever is cheapest, usually Wolf.

davej48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    TN
    I have fired thousands of rounds of wolf ammo through all of my handguns with no problems. I don't see any difference in wear and tear.

Top Bottom