Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I will bring the lever action .22 then. I was thinking about throwing the gaunlet down on the way home this evening. It is on!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I get there before the match starts (yeah, laugh, but it could happen), I'll probably shoot my .22 bolt and .22 semi-auto rifles, plus single stack pistol.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Do you think it'll be OK for my 12-year old son to shoot the steel match? He's not very good yet but he is safe, and I'll hang close to him the whole time.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Do you think it'll be OK for my 12-year old son to shoot the steel match? He's not very good yet but he is safe, and I'll hang close to him the whole time.

If he is safe that is just fine. Being safe and having fun are the two things we are concerned about and we will not compromise one for the other.

Alyssa will not be shooting this match. Got herself in trouble.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    From the WVPPS website:

For those of you unfamiliar with the Steel Challenge event, it is a rapidly growing sport in the shooting community. Competitors, using pistols of all calibers or .22 rimfire rifles (ideally magazine fed to accommodate reloading between strings of fire), engage five steel targets in various configurations. Your time for hitting each of the five targets is your score. Each of the five targets must be hit during each string of fire and a designated stop plate will be hit last to stop the time. The competitor shoots each course of fire five times and the four fastest times count toward your score. Each match will consist of four or five course of fire. Total score for all stages will determine the match champion in each division.

Steel shooting is a great sport for beginner, junior and lady shooters, as well as those with more experience. Unlike some other action pistol sports, there is no movement and no need to reload (usually) during a course of fire. It is a great way for anyone to either begin competing or for the experienced shooter to hone his skills. For more information, visit the Steel Challenge website at: Welcome! : SCSA

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Centerfire pistols have to be non-magnum, straight walled pistol calibers only. Anything that goes too fast will damage the steel.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There are no rules about how many hands you can use, unless a specific stage requires that you shoot "strong hand only" or "weak hand only." This sport is different from what you've done because it balances accuracy and speed. The marksmanship challenge is not too difficult in most cases, but trying to do it as fast as you can safely hit them creates a completely different kind of challenge. You can't waste any time, but you also "can't miss fast enough to win."

The course of fire changes every match. The basic premise is that each stage will have (usually) five steel plates (sometimes less, but rarely more). When it's your turn, the range officer will direct you to make ready. After some more range commands, the timer will start and you shoot each target. All you have to do is hit them. You can shoot as much as you want, and any plates you don't hit are a 3 second time penalty. You will repeat this five times for each each stage, with your score determined by the sum of your four best times per stage. The longest time allowed per string of fire is 30 seconds, so if you exceed that, it won't count against you.

Minimum round count will be 25 rounds per stage if you don't miss. Targets are no closer than 10 yards and usually less than 15-20 yards, although a couple of months ago we had some a bit farther away.

Centerfire pistols usually start from the holster, but if you don't have experience with that, you can usually start from a low ready position, as is done with rimfire pistols and rimfire rifles.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Rhino thanks for the info, that sounds like a blast. I will make it a point to get to one before this month ends. I live in anderson, any matches with in 60 so miles of me? I practise drawing and shooting in the back yard but not at multiple targets I could use some off that. Ultimately it would be nice to use all my guns but I will shoot the first one with my M9 :D

Top Bottom