• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I am a sauce guy too. Yeah, we get good steaks. I know how to cook them properly. I know how to season them. I like to rotate flavors I guess. Sometimes, no sauce, sometimes, A-1, Heinz 57, L&P. Just a little something different from time to time.

Yeah, I'm with you Expat. I used to be a "No Sauce, NO WAY" guy also. But as I'm getting older, the taste buds change and I like to mix it up. I don't slather the sauce on, but like to have a little puddle for dipping. There are a million BarBQ sauces out there, just not too much variety in steak sauce.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    First of all, if you're going to throw a steak on a charcoal grill that still has flames, you're doing it wrong. Go slap yourself with a slab of ribs repeatedly and say ten Hail Bacons. You want coals, offset in your grill for indirect grilling of your meat. You only put it over the hot coals for the last minute or two at most.

LOL, who taught you how to cook a steak?

Please, show me one professional chef (or just a guy that knows what he's doing) that would sear the steak at the end...I'll wait.

Just kidding, I'm not going to wait for something that won't happen.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    LOL, who taught you how to cook a steak?

Please, show me one professional chef (or just a guy that knows what he's doing) that would sear the steak at the end...I'll wait.

Just kidding, I'm not going to wait for something that won't happen.

True on the searing. But he was right that you shouldn't put the steaks on the coals until the flameis gone and there is grey ash starting on the charcoal. If you use lighter fluid anyway.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I didn't say to sear it at the end. I said put it over the coals for the last minute or two at most to finalize cooking the meat and to get those great grill marks. If you're leaving it on long enough to sear the meat at that point, you're ruining it.

Also, you should only turn the steak over once, but rotate it one-quarter turn to get the cross-hatch grill marks.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    A 1 Sauce was developed in 1831 in England. Long before the invention of refrigeration. Probably to cover the taste of rotting meat.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Grill marks go on first. Then, if you're of a mind to, you could do some indirect cooking to finish the meat. Doing it backwards gives you gray meat, not a nice maillard reaction.

A good steak is only going to be on the grill over the coals for a max of 10 minutes, if it's reasonably thick. Even a bit less if you're using lump charcoal or gas.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    This thread reminded me of the bottle of A1 in the fridge. So I fired up the grill tonight and cooked up some meat. Yep. A1 tastes good.... On chicken! :)

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I'm not going to belittle anyone for how they cook or where they learned to grill meat. If you like how your grill turns out it's meat, then grill on.

I never have complaints about my grilling or my steaks.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Properly marinated steaks don't necessarily need a sauce.

Having said that, just because they don't need one, doesn't mean they aren't delicious :)

I also like Country Bob's, but I usually add some hot sauce to it.

I agree. Other than a little preperation (garlic salt), I feel the flavor of some meats should be able to stand alone. No A-1 or ketchup here. I can grill the best ribeye you can imagine. As far a burger, I toast the bun, cheddar cheese and a fresh slice of tomato.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I just took low-grade top blades and turned them into succulent dishes fit to serve to the King of Cows himself. MMMM. Full stick of pure butter, salt, pepper.
    The perfect tendernesss, the perfect moisture, the perfect flavor.
    Third-best steaks I've ever made in my life. On cast-iron.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I agree. Other than a little preperation (garlic salt), I feel the flavor of some meats should be able to stand alone. No A-1 or ketchup here. I can grill the best ribeye you can imagine. As far a burger, I toast the bun, cheddar cheese and a fresh slice of tomato.

The only salt touching my steak is Kosher...I also like adding some garlic powder (it's called powder, but it's granules).

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    Kosher salt and fresh pepper is all a steak needs. I get the meat out, season it, and let it sit out for an hour before cooking. I prefer mine medium rare or medium but whatever makes you happy. After it's cooked, let it rest for a bit.

Next time you're at a steak place, tell the server to have them back off on the seasoning they put on there. You'll be pleasantly surprised how much better it is imo.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I usually don't use steak sauce, but when I do I like Pickapeppa Sauce, you can find it at Krogers. It's kind of like A1 with a little kick.
    pickapeppa_original-4.jpg

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you really must use a sauce on steak then try this South African favourite. I've made it and used it on a number of meats off the grill. It's killer good. You can use any vinegar in it, I like red wine vinegar usually. And I like Major Grey's Chutney.
    Monkey Gland Sauce

African Olympic Food Series – Monkey Gland Steak Recipe | Wandering Gourmet

There are loads of variations on this recipe available via the web. I picked this one, since it's closer to the one I use from my South African cookbook.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The only salt touching my steak is Kosher...I also like adding some garlic powder (it's called powder, but it's granules).

I'll do the same thing. Sometimes I'll use Montreal steak seasoning, but usually just coarse salt, cracked peppercorns on each side and a light dust of garlic powder on one side. Let it sit until it hits room temp and throw it on a hot grill.

Not knocking how anyone cooks their steak, but the indirect heat thing isn't for us when it comes to steaks. Brisket is the cut of beef that gets indirect heat at our house.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Can't do any grilling cause I let the wife try to grill some pork chops while I was finishing some yard work and she had one hell of a grease fire that she couldn't put out and I ended up putting it out with a garden hose.
    Not sure if my $600 Weber grill is ruined or not but both LP hoses melted, 3 control knobs melted, the entire igniter melted, melted the cabinet door hing guides, warped the cast aluminum grill box, broke the slide tracks for the bottom tray.
    Hoping to get all the parts by this weekend and see if it works.

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Can't do any grilling cause I let the wife try to grill some pork chops while I was finishing some yard work and she had one hell of a grease fire that she couldn't put out and I ended up putting it out with a garden hose.
    Not sure if my $600 Weber grill is ruined or not but both LP hoses melted, 3 control knobs melted, the entire igniter melted, melted the cabinet door hing guides, warped the cast aluminum grill box, broke the slide tracks for the bottom tray.
    Hoping to get all the parts by this weekend and see if it works.

:(

Top Bottom