• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you only own the two handguns I would consider keeping it for the simple reason that 2 is 1 and 1 is none. A spare pistol is good to have if your primary goes down.

THIS^^^^ Before I had my Sig I had the extractor on my glock broke and was a few days with nothing at all.:ugh: For that reason I kept the glock after I bought the Sig.

This happened before I had the luxury of working at a range and being plugged in with local gunsmiths.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    I would have to say that if you cannot find a new role for it and there is no sentimental attachment to it, then you should sell it if you want. I personally do not believe in selling any of my guns, but at the same time there is not a single gun I own that does not get used regularly or that I don't have an attachment to. You would probably feel worse letting it sit unused and it possibly getting neglected than you would selling it to someone who is going to use it and take care of it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I traded one off in my forty years of gun ownership. That was about 18 years ago. I still that of that revoLver with regret. I would buy it back if I had the chance.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I would at least keep it until you know for sure you are satisfied with the new one.

I have known many people (myself included) that have purchased a carry gun and for one reason or another have not been satisfied with it. Whether it be reliability reasons, ergonomics, accuracy or for any one of many reasons.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I sell guns all the time. It all depends on you and what type of a gun person you are. I've come to the determination that I'm not a collector. There was a time when I had a dozen different handguns in the safe and shot all of them regularly. I figured out that this wasn't helping my proficiency and the muscle memory was slightly different with each one (different grip angle, controls, etc.). I've decided to stick with one platform and it works for me. I don't take issue with anyone who likes to collect all different kinds of guns but for me they are tools and I run them more efficiently by sticking to one platform. When I came to that determination I sold off most of what I had and upgraded the quality of what I was keeping.

Unless it has some sentimental value, if it sits in my safe unused for a year it goes on the chopping block. All I have are Glock pistols, an AR15 rifle and a couple of Rem700 bolt guns. It works for me.

This is my stance as well. Try to keep to a single platform, and train with it as much as you can,

To the OP, it might help a bit if you told us what it was and what you were getting.

For example, if you said, "I have a Glock 19, but want a 26, should I sell the 19?" I'd say no, keep the 19, and if you want a 26 add it to what you have. It's the same platform, can share mags, etc.

However, if you said, I have x brand/model of pistol and I want y brand/model of pistol and they were completely different platforms, not compatible for accessories, etc, I'd say sell it off once you know you are happy with the new one, and it meets your needs.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    So i am upgrading my carry pistol, and will have to get all new accessories to go with it: Holsters, mag carriers...and whatever else i run into.

My question is, should i keep my old pistol and accessories, or sell them?

The new pistol will replace the old in all activities, except to be a plinker at the range. And i don't plink that much...i choose to spend my range time with my primary carry for proficiency reasons.

Keep or sell?

Aside from my Taurus 605 I regret selling every gun I no longer count in my possession. Keep it.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Keep it for a year and if you don't want it at that point, sell it. It doesn't take up room and you don't have to feed it, so what's the problem with keeping it? If you want to get your wife a gun, just do it. Don't use this as the reason to now buy her a gun. If you must sell it to have the finances to get her a gun, then do it, but make sure she wants one. However, DO NOT trade your gun at the LGS! You will get the most out of it by selling it yourself.

Wise men give good advice. :yesway:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I will be going from the Taurus 24/7 to a glock 22 and 27

If you have both a Glock 22 & 27, then I would say you are good to go. Sell the Taurus and use the funds for your wife to pick out a gun for herself. Or sell it and buy yourself a couple of 9mm conversion barrels for the glocks.

CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    If you have both a Glock 22 & 27, then I would say you are good to go. Sell the Taurus and use the funds for your wife to pick out a gun for herself. Or sell it and buy yourself a couple of 9mm conversion barrels for the glocks.

I believe i will do both...i'm very interested in the .357 sig conversion,dont think i'll go 9mm (even though its cheap to shoot).

I'll also get the wife something she likes and handles well!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I believe i will do both...i'm very interested in the .357 sig conversion,dont think i'll go 9mm (even though its cheap to shoot).

I'll also get the wife something she likes and handles well!

Check out the Advantage Arms Conversion kits for the Glocks if you do decide you want something cheap to practice with. I have one for my 27 and one for my 23. Shoot cheaply with 22 LR and build your muscle memory, and train with your same frame/trigger, etc.

Top Bottom