• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scanaday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    I just went to Ohio this weekend. I called ahead to the State Patrol and told them that I was an Indiana permit holder and he told me that I could keep my firearm on me at all times while I was in Ohio, I just had to have my permit with me and present it immediately if I came into contact with an officer. I was quite shocked and asked several times to make sure I was understood. I did find an article about the law stated in a previous post in this thread. Didn't read too much of it because I had the "approval" of the State Patrol. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I just went to Ohio this weekend. I called ahead to the State Patrol and told them that I was an Indiana permit holder and he told me that I could keep my firearm on me at all times while I was in Ohio, I just had to have my permit with me and present it immediately if I came into contact with an officer. I was quite shocked and asked several times to make sure I was understood. I did find an article about the law stated in a previous post in this thread. Didn't read too much of it because I had the "approval" of the State Patrol. Just thought I'd share my experience.

I hope you didn't believe him...Unless Ohio has made a major move and loosened their laws (which I think it would be all over this forum if they did), then that trooper was telling you to break the law. And I think that would be a felony conviction.
    Go Here: Handgunlaw.us and click on Indiana. It will pop open another window telling you who recognizes IN LTCH, and Ohio ISN"T one of them.

I believe you can have it with you unloaded, but I'm not sure of the specifics. Loaded is definitely out.

scanaday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Unfortunately I did believe him because I stated that I did not believe that it was allowable and he assured me that it was. I spoke with a Sargent about this. I did some thorough research this morning and determined that there was a bill introduced in the Ohio House (HB495) this last session that would have granted reciprocity with all states that honor the Ohio permit. I have provided a link that talks about it all. Unfortunately the reciprocity provision was removed at the last minute to get a vote. Thankfully no harm was had this weekend due to my trusting the "authorities". I will be more thorough in the future. I have started the process of getting my UT permit but that has not arrived yet.

UPDATE: Senate & House pass amended HB495; Bill sent to Governor Kasich for signature

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This is an update to a previous post.
    One of our members, NIFT, messaged me with a few points of interest, things I had not made note of, such as that while Maine (among others) does not recognize non-resident permits from other states, they do issue their own, and that MD and NJ do likewise, though theirs are very difficult to obtain.

OK, so our LTCH covers us to carry according to the laws of the state we happen to be in in 29 states. How can we carry in the other 21 (if at all?)

AL - covered under LTCH.........................................MT - covered under LTCH
    AK - covered under LTCH, Constitutional Carry...................NE - *
    AZ - covered under LTCH, Constitutional Carry...................NV - *
    AR - covered under LTCH.........................................NH - covered under LTCH for IN residents
    CA - **........................................................NJ - *
    CO - covered under LTCH for IN residents........................NM - *
    CT - *.........................................................NY - **
    DE - *.........................................................NC - covered under LTCH
    FL - covered under LTCH for IN residents........................ND - covered under LTCH
    GA - covered under LTCH.........................................OH - *
    HI - **........................................................OK - covered under LTCH
    ID - covered under LTCH.........................................OR - *
    IL - ***.......................................................PA - covered under LTCH
    IN - covered under LTCH.........................................RI - *
    IA - covered under LTCH.........................................SC - *
    KS - *.........................................................SD - covered under LTCH
    KY - covered under LTCH.........................................TN - covered under LTCH
    LA - covered under LTCH.........................................TX - covered under LTCH
    ME - *.........................................................UT - covered under LTCH
    MD - *.........................................................VT - covered under LTCH, Constitutional Carry
    MA - *.........................................................VA - covered under LTCH
    MI - covered under LTCH for IN residents........................WA - *
    MN - *.........................................................WV - *
    MS - covered under LTCH.........................................WI - covered under LTCH
    MO - covered under LTCH.........................................WY - covered under LTCH, Constitutional Carry

*CT - honors no other state's permit/license, but issues their own non-res (5yrs/$70)
    *DE - Non-res AZ, FL, or UT are recognized
    *KS - Non-res AZ and FL recognized
    *ME - honors no other state's non-res, but issues their own (4yrs/$60)
    *MD - honors no other state's permit/license, but issues their own non-res (difficult to obtain)
    *MA - honors no other state's permit/license, but issues their own non-res (difficult to obtain)
    *MN - Non-res UT is recognized
    *NE - Non-res AZ, FL, or UT are recognized
    *NV - Non-res AZ is recognized
    *NJ - honors no other state's permit/license, but issues their own non-res (difficult to obtain)
    *NM - Non-res AZ and FL are is recognized
    *OH - Non-res
    [STRIKE]AZ,[/STRIKE] FL, or UT are recognized
    *OR - Must own property in OR to obtain "qualified non-resident" permit from OR
    *RI - honors no other state's permit/license, but issues their own non-res
    *SC - Must own property in SC to obtain "qualified non-resident" permit from SC
    *WA - Non-res FL and UT are recognized
    *WV - Non-res AZ, FL, or UT are recognized

.**CA - No means in place.
    .**HI - No means in place.
    ***IL - No one other than LE may carry here legally.
    .**NY - No means in place.

Do remember that to carry a firearm in these other jurisdictions, their local laws apply. Some forbid carry in places that, to us, seem counterintuitive and even idiotic. Their laws do not have to make sense to us, any more than our own do, we still must follow them or risk fines, imprisonment, and loss of the future ability to lawfully possess firearms.

My thanks to Bob for his bringing this information out.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

RGR12

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    I had trouble with a LEO in Georgia not knowing that his state recognized my Indiana permit. I would suggest if traveling you print out the which states recognize your states permit. I was held up for over an hour until his supervisor showed him the law in writing.

Freezeup

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Eastern Greene County
    Oops, I guess I should have checked before my trip to SC. Regardless I have drove through Ill several times with a hand gun under the seat, unloaded but I did the speed limit the whole time and made sure that the registration was not near the gun incase I was pulled over. I carry for protection for myself and my family. There is no better time to do this than when traveling away from home. So I am willing to take the risk.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Oops, I guess I should have checked before my trip to SC. Regardless I have drove through Ill several times with a hand gun under the seat, unloaded but I did the speed limit the whole time and made sure that the registration was not near the gun incase I was pulled over. I carry for protection for myself and my family. There is no better time to do this than when traveling away from home. So I am willing to take the risk.

You may be willing but do us all a favor and don't write a bout it on the internet...

:facepalm:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

You may be willing but do us all a favor and don't write a bout it on the internet...

:facepalm:

This^^
    You essentially just admitted to a felony. I know, I know, better tried by 12 than carried by 6, but better to drive a metric crap-ton of miles out of the way than to spend a year or three in an Illinois PMITA prison.

Blessings,
    Bill

Duck slayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Why can't it be that u get a liecense in Ur resident state and be able to carry in all states it would make life a lot easier

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Who Honors IN

Here is a map if you guys want it. You can edit it with Microsoft paint. I would not change the size of it as when I do it loses quality. If you let me know I will update it for you if/when there is a change.

INGunOwers_zps8bf9ebf8.png

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Forgot to say, It belongs to Indiana Gun Owners. Handgunlaw.us gives you all rights to it. This is not the same map on the IN Page at Handgunlaw.us It is one I created just for this site. You can remove or add anything you like. It is yours.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Forgot to say, It belongs to Indiana Gun Owners. Handgunlaw.us gives you all rights to it. This is not the same map on the IN Page at Handgunlaw.us It is one I created just for this site. You can remove or add anything you like. It is yours.

As always, great work. Thanks for what you do.

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    TyanGSams is Correct in his post about magazines must be unloaded in Ohio. Beginning MARCH 27, 2013 A new Ohio Law takes effect concerning What it considers a Loaded Firearm. Here is the new Law.

AGAIN THIS NEW LAW DOES NOT GO INTO EFFECT UNTIL March 27, 2013

Sec. 2923.16. (K)

[FONT=&quot](5)(a) "Unloaded" means with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question and one of the following applies: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](b) For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a "container that provides complete and separate enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader; [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](c) For the purposes of divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](6) "Unloaded" means, with respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan. [/FONT]

Top Bottom