• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Indiana should not honor any states permit that does not honor ours.

I agree with this. As it stands, residents of those states have no reason to pressure their regulators to provide reciprocity. If they had to put their guns away, like we do, perhaps they'd get a little more motivated.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    :laugh:

Does anyone know why states choose to deny some states but not others? Is it training related?

I have a cousin who married a Ohio state trooper and he told me the reason Ohio will not honor Indiana LTCH is because Indiana does not require any training to obtain the LTCH.
    Then he went into the typical spill I would have expected out of an Ohio LEO , about civilians have no reason or need to carry a handgun , and there is nothing we have (money, car or property) that would be worth anyone losing their life for (i.e. the bad guy) , he said to just cooperate and give the bad guy what he wants ???????
    Where did he learn this thought process at ?
    So I guess in Ohio the OLEA teaches that only law enforcement has the right to carry a firearm , and that the 2nd amendment does not exist in the communist republic of Ohio.
    I'm so glad my parents moved to Indiana before I was born:D

LEO IN TRAINING

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    wheatfield, indiana
    thanks for the info, i believe that IL will come around and offer a carry law for both IN and IL. As one of the Representives said if we had a carry law maybe the criminals would think twice about acting out any criminal offense against a civilian...

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    And it looks like it's O.K. to make the trip to Florida with your CCW. As far as i can tell all the states between here and there are Indiana friendly.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    avoid IL

I try to avoid Il as much as possible, but my daughter lives in Colorado,so.. have to drive through the "Peoples Republic of Illinois" Kansas doesn't bother me as much, they seem more gun friendly and odds are the cop who pulls you over might understand, Illinois fugetaboutit

prtrrssll

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    So if you have a permit for Indiana an you are driving west to hunt and you have to thru illinois do you have to put your gun in trunk or safe or do you have to go around that state

1LuvGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Anderson, IN
    I have a cousin who married a Ohio state trooper and he told me the reason Ohio will not honor Indiana LTCH is because Indiana does not require any training to obtain the LTCH.
    Then he went into the typical spill I would have expected out of an Ohio LEO , about civilians have no reason or need to carry a handgun , and there is nothing we have (money, car or property) that would be worth anyone losing their life for (i.e. the bad guy) , he said to just cooperate and give the bad guy what he wants ???????
    Where did he learn this thought process at ?
    So I guess in Ohio the OLEA teaches that only law enforcement has the right to carry a firearm , and that the 2nd amendment does not exist in the communist republic of Ohio.
    I'm so glad my parents moved to Indiana before I was born:D

And for that reason (and a few others) is why I moved out of Ohio... :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I heard west virginia was going to honor our permit does anyone know anything about that.Cause last time i checked they didnt yet.

I talked to their AGs office several months ago and they said it was being worked on. So far as I know, it hasn't happened yet :(

Arieas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Indianapois
    Thank you very much for this info. I was looking for something like this, i have a friend who is working up in Michigan this month and was wondering if he could bring his gun. Also useful since ill be taking a trip to Florida in July.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    As of April 5th 2008....

Honors Indiana Permit:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wyoming

Indiana Permit Not Honored:
    California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, District of Columbia

Indiana Resident Permits Only:
    Colorado, Florida, Michigan, New Hampshire

source- Handgunlaw.us

Thank You for this it was very informative but I have a question, what happens if you are carrying a weapon in a car traveling from Indiana to Kentucky and happen to get stopped in that small part of Ohio where you can be in 3 states with 5 minutes (74 East) and should you dismantle your weapon before entering Ohio? or would that matter?

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    what if you are traveling threw the states,how do you transport your weapon ?

When travelling THROUGH other states you may carry according to the "Safe Journey Law" of the Federal Statutes which states something like this:

[SIZE=+1]Transporting Firearms During Travel[/SIZE]
    A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.
    Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

You must be traveling through the state with no extended (overnight?) stops.

You can read the NRA posting of this law and other Fed laws here: NRA-ILA ::

Hope that helps.

AB

thompbarn

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Is there a site that explains restrictions/limitations on where and when you can carry? For example, even if you are legal to carry in Indiana, you can't carry in a variety of places (schools, etc.). Are Indiana permits treated the same as in-state permits in these states?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Is there a site that explains restrictions/limitations on where and when you can carry? For example, even if you are legal to carry in Indiana, you can't carry in a variety of places (schools, etc.). Are Indiana permits treated the same as in-state permits in these states?

This is a good start:
    Handgunlaw.us

Top Bottom