• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    this is awesome , now i would much prefer to have a state rifle that i could buy, heck i'd just like to have one to hang on the wall and say "yeh thats are state rifle" , granted i would love to have Arizona's as well (peacemaker) but dont see that happening anytime soon

indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Jeff and I will be down in Friendship on Saturday to see the Grouseland Rifle up close. I'll ask about any plans to create replicas of this historic rifle, and will report back.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    J10... the authority on John Small is my friend, Jeff Jaeger, who coauthored the book John Small of Vincennes: Gunsmith on the Western Frontier, along with the late Jim Dresslar. (RE Davis Company | John Small of Vincennes: Gunsmith on the Western Frontier by Jim Dresslar & Jeff Jaeger

Mr. Dresslar had an extensive collection of Western Frontier artifacts, which included many items crafted by John Small (two rifles, a pistol, a silver-mounted powder horn, and a pipe tomahawk). Dresslar's collection now resides in the Indiana State Museum in Indianapolis.

Dresslar and Jaeger's book is available at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indiana and Western Art. I know that Jeff sometimes sells copies of the book at Friendship during shoots, and often has them available at gatherings of the Indiana Antique Arms Collectors Association. I think he said it's also available at the NMLRA in Friendship and at Harrison's Grouseland estate in Vincennes.

He has been considering making the book more widely available through Amazon (and I'm sure he'll be grateful to know that people are interested in learning more about John Small). If you like, send me a PM with your contact e-mail, and I'll forward that along to Jeff.

I'm assuming that would be the Jim Dresslar from Bargersville?! A friend of mine used to work for him. Dresslar had an outstanding collection!

indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    I'm assuming that would be the Jim Dresslar from Bargersville?! A friend of mine used to work for him. Dresslar had an outstanding collection!

Yessir, that's the Jim Dresslar. His collection, which includes John Small firearms (two rifles or a rifle and pistol... I'd have to ask Jeff Jaeger) now resides at the Indiana State Museum. Of the "James Girty Flintlock" from John Small's hand, the museum's website notes:

This is a fullstock Kentucky-style long rifle. It has brass in-lay in and around the patch-box. John Small's trademark diamond is in-laid at the side of the wrist with the trademark fleur-de-lis in-lay on top of the stock behind the hammer. The original flintlock is still present. The rifle is a .48 caliber. The ramrod is a replacement.

Indiana, Knox County, Vincennes; Johnson County, Bargersville. Scholars have long assumed that Captain William Clark’s references to the “small rifle” he carried on the historic Lewis and Clark Expedition referred to a small-caliber weapon. Research, however, suggests that while Clark’s gun was physically small, and therefore easier to carry on his arduous journey, Clark was also likely referring to the weapon’s maker, the renowned Indiana gunsmith John Small (1759-1823).

Settling in Vincennes in 1785, Small became the proprietor of a mill and a ferry on the Wabash River. Sessions of the Indiana Territorial Legislature in which he served were held at his tavern. That structure also doubled as Knox County’s first courthouse (1790- 1794), during which time Small became the first sheriff of Knox County and a colonel in the Indiana militia.

The brother of Simon Girty (the "White Savage"), James Girty had loyalties to the Native Americans with whom he grew up and to the Americans dominated the region in which he lived. Though he eventually settled in Canada, James maintained close ties to American traders, including those around Vincennes. It is through this branch of the family that the Girty rifle made by John Small descended.

The Jim and Carolyn Dresslar Collection is one of the most significant compilations of American frontier artifacts circa 1770-1820. The complete collection, of which this material is the Indiana component, is known worldwide and includes hundreds of firearms and firearm components, engraved powder horns, knives, pipe-tomahawks, and war clubs.

Many objects are associated with key historical figures and events from an era when Indiana defined America’s frontier. Jim Dresslar began uncovering Native American points and tools while working the family farm near Bargersville in the 1930s. Additional caches were discovered along the White River on his grandfather’s Morgan County farm.

Such experiences engendered a curiosity about the people who produced these artifacts and a love of history in general, and Dresslar soon established a reputation as a noted collector, knowledgeable writer, amateur historian, and archaeologist. The rifle cleaning rods in the collection were discoved by Dresslar at the site of Fort Ouaitenon, and in Johnson and Morgan Counties.

http://tinyurl.com/6msj9ag

Mr. Dresslar passed away late last year at his home in Bargersville.
    Daily Journal - Obituary: James Edward Dresslar

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Yessir, that's the Jim Dresslar. His collection, which includes John Small firearms (two rifles or a rifle and pistol... I'd have to ask Jeff Jaeger) now resides at the Indiana State Museum. Of the "James Girty Flintlock" from John Small's hand, the museum's website notes:

Mr. Dresslar passed away late last year at his home in Bargersville.
    Daily Journal - Obituary: James Edward Dresslar

Indiana Joe,

A good friend of mine Jay Kell portrayed James Girty (I portrayed Matthew Elliott after getting permission from Glen McClain!) at various reenactments around the state. Jay has a photo of himself holding Girty's rifle in Dresslar's "vault". The grin on his face is huge. Thanks for this post. Many folks may not realize it but Mr. Dressler played the part of "Old Daniel Boone" at the end of the NativeSun's production of "Boone and Crockett, the Hunter Heroes" that ran on the History Channel a couple of years ago. (Remember when the History Channel used to do documentaries on History???:rolleyes:) Man those were the days. Thanks for rekindling some memories of stale sweat and rotten egg smell that permeates my reenacting memories. I havn't seen Glen in years and I no longer have one of his blades. At one time I had his "Culloden Dagger" that he copied off of a dagger that was found in the throat of a British horse after Culloden. He had went to Scotland and got the specs off of the actual dagger. His only concession was Walrus tusk instead of elephant ivory. I carried it in a quilled neck knife sheath that Ralph Heath had made for me. I still got the sheath, but alas, the dagger is gone. Again, thanks for the great post and the memories.

iniducky

indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    indiucky... sounds like you must have some good stories tucked away there. Don't be shy about telling them. I had read of Jim Dresslar's acting career.

rugertoter... thanks for the comment.

Top Bottom