Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    IC 35-47-2.5-14
    Providing handgun to ineligible purchaser; exemptions

<snip>

(b) A person who purchases a handgun with the intent to:
    (1) resell or otherwise provide the handgun to another person who the person knows or has reason to believe is ineligible for any reason to purchase or otherwise receive from a dealer a
    handgun; or
    (2) transport the handgun out of the state to be resold or otherwise provided to another
    person who the transferor knows is ineligible to purchase or otherwise receive a firearm;
    commits a Class D felony.
    (c) If the violation of this section involves a transfer of more than one (1) handgun, the offense
    is a Class C felony.
    As added by P.L.17-1997, SEC.8.
    IC 35-47-2.5-15
    Ineligible purchaser attempting to purchase handgun; violation
    Sec. 15. (a) A person who is ineligible to purchase or otherwise receive or possess a handgun
    in Indiana who knowingly or intentionally solicits, employs, or assists any person in violating
    section 14 of this chapter commits a Class D felony.
    (b) If the violation involves a transfer of more than one (1) handgun, the offense is a Class C
    felony.
    As added by P.L.17-1997, SEC.8.

Reading this, it appears a private sale to anyone under 21 is a crime, and the pistol must be gifted to the person by a guardian.

The key word here is "intent." However, the last bold type seems to, where it says "A person who is ineligible to purchase"... I just don't know if that means "inelligible to purchase from an FFL" or what.

This is a gray area, and one that needs to be more properly defined. I do not know what the spirit of the law is intended to be, but the way I read it, if you're not a guardian or authorized person to provide a handgun to someone under 21, then both people could find themselves in a heap of trouble.

I really wanted this to go the other way, but I think that this sale on the handgun I have going on now will have to go to someone 21+, and I'll keep long guns (if I sell any in the future, doubtful) to 18+.

I wonder if this was intentionally left ambiguous?

Josh <><

Upon my initial re-reading of the statute I was confused because...

IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.
    (b) It is unlawful for a person to sell, give, or in any manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun to another person who the person has reasonable cause to believe:
    (1) has been:
    (A) convicted of a felony; or
    (B) adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person seeking to obtain ownership or possession of the handgun is less than twenty-three (23) years of age;
    (2) is a drug abuser;
    (3) is an alcohol abuser; or
    (4) is mentally incompetent.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.33-1989, SEC.126; P.L.140-1994, SEC.8; P.L.269-1995, SEC.7.

...pretty clearly states that a handgun sale is not prohibited unless the person is under 18 (among other things not at issue here).

I then realized that the Statute you posted above was referring to "straw purchases". If you intentionally buy a gun for someone knowing that that they could not buy the same gun from a dealer for the sole purpose of transferring possession of that gun to them then that is illegal unless it is done under a parent-child/guardian-child relationship. If you didn't originally buy the gun for the sole purpose or reselling the gun to someone you know couldn't otherwise buy the gun from a dealer then it looks like you'll be fine.

IC 35-47-2-7 allows you to sell or give anyone over the age of 18 a handgun as long as they are not an otherwise prohibited person.

On another interesting note:

IC 35-47-2.5-1
    Applicability; conflicts
    Sec. 1. (a) This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) Transactions between persons who are licensed as firearms importers or collectors or firearms manufacturers or dealers under 18 U.S.C. 923.
    (2) Purchases by or sales to a law enforcement officer or agent of the United States, the state, or a county or local government.
    (3) Indiana residents licensed to carry handguns under IC 35-47-2-3.

The above chapter (IC 35-47-2.5) does not apply to LTCH holders.

Hmmm...

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Yeah, I saw that too...

Like I said, I believe it's intentionally ambiguous.

I was accused by another member when I gave him negative feedback about not knowing Indiana laws.

I can't find a cop and two lawyers who agree on what this all means.

I'm sure the fella must be an expert, so I'll defer to him.

Josh <><

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Hello all. This is my first post, so be gentle!

I have applied for my Indiana LTCH and will be hunting for my first handgun this weekend.

What I want to know is: I know you don't need a permit to buy a handgun in Indiana, but you do to carry it. So, what happens if I get pulled over on the way home from buying my gun? Obviously I will have it in the box, in the hatch (no trunk), not on me. Also, I know you do not need a permit to shoot at a gun range, correct? So is it legal for me to box the gun up, and go to a range while waiting for my permit?

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ that addressed this issue, so if it was there, sorry!

I figured I would thread hack here since it is so close in subject to my question, rather than start a new thread.

Thanks, and great Forum you have here BTW, I am learning stuff here already!

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hello all. This is my first post, so be gentle!

I have applied for my Indiana LTCH and will be hunting for my first handgun this weekend.

What I want to know is: I know you don't need a permit to buy a handgun in Indiana, but you do to carry it. So, what happens if I get pulled over on the way home from buying my gun? Obviously I will have it in the box, in the hatch (no trunk), not on me. Also, I know you do not need a permit to shoot at a gun range, correct? So is it legal for me to box the gun up, and go to a range while waiting for my permit?

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ that addressed this issue, so if it was there, sorry!

I figured I would thread hack here since it is so close in subject to my question, rather than start a new thread.

Thanks, and great Forum you have here BTW, I am learning stuff here already!

Hi and :welcome: to INGO!

You are legal, per IN statute, to transport your firearm unloaded and in a "secure wrapper" to or from the place of purchase, to or from a place of repair, with the other end of that journey being your home or your business. You may also transport your firearm to a new place of residence in this manner, if moving to a new home.

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

FYI, no, you may not transport to or from a range legally, unless the range is also a place of repair. Hope that helps.

Blessings,
    Bill

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Hi and :welcome: to INGO!

You are legal, per IN statute, to transport your firearm unloaded and in a "secure wrapper" to or from the place of purchase, to or from a place of repair, with the other end of that journey being your home or your business. You may also transport your firearm to a new place of residence in this manner, if moving to a new home.

I think it's IC 35-47-9-2 that permits that. If not, I'll amend this post.

FYI, no, you may not transport to or from a range legally, unless the range is also a place of repair. Hope that helps.

Blessings,
    Bill

Wow! Thanks for the welcome, and the quick reply! I will keep that IC for reference, thanks again!

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    After reading through this thread, I'm still kinda confused...

I'm under 21 (20 Y.O.) and have a lifetime LTCH. Earlier posts in this thread indicated that I can legally buy a handgun through private sale, but can't from an FFL because Indiana state law requires 18+ for a purchase, but Federal law requires 21+, IIRC.
    So my question is, given my circumstances, can I legally buy a handgun through private sale? Or is Josh Smith right when he says the issue is ambiguous? Can anyone give any more clarity? :dunno:

I'm hoping CarmelHP is correct when he posted this:
    Indiana State law allows 18 year olds to purchase handguns, however, federal law bars FFL's from selling to anyone under 21, so it would have to be a private sale. Federal law allows possession of handguns by anyone 18 and older as long as it is not barred by the law of the state of residence.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    After reading through this thread, I'm still kinda confused...

I'm under 21 (20 Y.O.) and have a lifetime LTCH. Earlier posts in this thread indicated that I can legally buy a handgun through private sale, but can't from an FFL because Indiana state law requires 18+ for a purchase, but Federal law requires 21+, IIRC.
    So my question is, given my circumstances, can I legally buy a handgun through private sale? Or is Josh Smith right when he says the issue is ambiguous? Can anyone give any more clarity? :dunno:

I'm hoping CarmelHP is correct when he posted this:

The Federal law only pertains to FFLs. You can still purchase face-to-face from another Indiana resident.

Louis LeDuc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Just joined and don't know how to see how old those post is but how are laws in Indiana/Indianapolis about owning a semi-automatic rifle. little different from handguns but i have my eye on the DSA SA58 rifle (pretty much a FAL) and i want to know if i can purchase one

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Just joined and don't know how to see how old those post is but how are laws in Indiana/Indianapolis about owning a semi-automatic rifle. little different from handguns but i have my eye on the DSA SA58 rifle (pretty much a FAL) and i want to know if i can purchase one

This thread was last posted to in 2009. Indiana does not restrict the purchase of semi-auto rifles and local firearms ordinances are preempted by state law.

As long as you are not a person prohibited from owning firearms, you are fine.

Welcome to INGO. :yesway:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Louis,

If you look at the far left section of the post above the name of the person making the post is a date. that is the date that it was posted.

Example: the post just above yours was posted by xamsx on 07-24-2009.

Top Bottom