• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsalien

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Bainbridge, Indiana
    I have owned guns for years but have recently decided to take it serious. Not only as a hobby, but for sport and protection. I have two young boys showing a great deal of interest and a wife that is 100% for gun ownership.

What I have so far is:
    - Taurus SW40 PT-140
    - Taurus Stainless, Hammerless .357/.38
    - Winchester 12ga Defender
    - Saiga 7.62x39

What would longtime collectors recommend for rounding out my collection?

rcuhljr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Carmel
    AR15 while you can :P I'm a fan of 1911's, everyone should try a glock once. For young boys a 10/22 is just amazing.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Your collection sounds pretty rounded out already. If your'e serious about getting your boys into it, maybe a .22lr for target practice/small game hunting when food prices quintuple.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Can't go wrong with WWII weapons as a way to teach your kids history and their value is a hell of a lot more stable then the stock market!!!

Besides that, I would agree with XL that a .22 rifle is an American "must have" and maybe a smaller shotgun in a more hunting type configuration like a 20ga Remington 870.

I think a 20ga 870 is one of the most well rounded guns anyone could ever have. Good to teach women, kids, hunt with and defend your home.

Last edited:

tsalien

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Bainbridge, Indiana
    Thanks to everyone that responded for your feedback. I have been eyeing a Ruger 10/22 but was also considering a .22 cricket. Are the crickets any good?

Also, my brother boughts his boy a Rossi 410/22 matched pair, how do those rate in quality and reliability?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Crickets are just plain fun, for kids and adults. It's always fun for a kid to see Dad or Mom crammed up on one :D. They are cheap, so if it breaks, boo hoo.

All in All: I would go with the Ruger. Dont cheap out on a "kids first gun" situation. That gun will forever be etched in their minds. 150-200 bucks for a damned good 10/22 beats a cheap ol'cricket that may not last one generation. A Ruger is built to last, is superbly accurate and fun. Things get boring for kids when they have to work an action all the time.:)

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    the crickets are good rifles, but will soon be outgrown. I really like the peep sight set up of the cricket. being an instructor, i have found that is easier to teach kids to shoot with a peep than other open sights. I have two in my safe right now, one that my nephew has outgrown and will keep to give to his kids, and one for my two year old. savage also makes a youth bolt action .22 that is a little bigger than the cricket. a 10/22 can't be beat as far as a gun to grow with

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    One thing to consider is the size and strength of the child the rifle is for. My daughter ahd been after me to get her a gun and she is not strong enough to hold a 10/22. She can manage a cricket. (She got hit with a piece of flying brass on one outing however and now is afraid to shoot.)

Just something to consider.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My daughter is 11 and doesn't like shooting my 10/22. :dunno: I can't keep her off my AR15, especially if the Holosight it attached. :cool:

Top Bottom