• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    CO would be an issue indoors, no? What kind of ventilation plans do you have?
    I had to cook with these for 6 days a few years back. I placed a carbon monoxide alarm directly below it with a PPM read out. It never left 0.

The one we used next to the Buddy propane heater would read a 07 or 08 as the heater would go out from running out of propane but zeroed out within a few minutes. It never reached dangerous levels.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I had to cook with these for 6 days a few years back. I placed a carbon monoxide alarm directly below it with a PPM read out. It never left 0.

The one we used next to the Buddy propane heater would read a 07 or 08 as the heater would go out from running out of propane but zeroed out within a few minutes. It never reached dangerous levels.

That right there may be some handy info. What type of meter did you use, store bought? Fire Department style? Gas company style? The home one I would take little stock in the other two are reliable the gas company one being the best of those two.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    For freeze dried foods, Mountain House is the only thing that I will purchase.

Be aware of the high sodium content of their foods. While not a issue for very short term usage, you'll run into major health problems long-term eating this. Backpackers Pantry and others make good quality freeze-dried food with a lot less sodium.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I agree about keeping your freezer full. Also have been buying vegs at 2/ $1, keeping spaghetti, ramen noodles, soup/chili, We use the propane BBQ all year long, outdoors of course. If snowing, I cook from indoor of the garage, and move grill under the overhang roof. No problem. My last portable tank-table grill rusted out, but am looking for a new one. Those are easy with the 1 # tanks to use. I keep spares.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Spaghetti, fettuccine, angel hair and vermicelli are all "economy of space" pastas that frequently go on sale. I keep a few stacks on hand and replenish when on sale.

In recent years I have switched to whole grain pastas that are supposedly healthier for you?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :) Some of the best comfort food on the planet:

- Home canned pint of beef (better yet bambi,) including broth.
    - Box of fettuccine broken once or twice, cooked
    - 1 or 2 cans condensed mushroom soup
    - milk added to desired consistency

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :) Some of the best comfort food on the planet:

- Home canned pint of beef (better yet bambi,) including broth.
    - Box of fettuccine broken once or twice, cooked
    - 1 or 2 cans condensed mushroom soup
    - milk added to desired consistency

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I do it in layers.

Regular pantry gets stocked with daily use stuff. We could live off that for 2 weeks or so.
    Survival pantry is the same stuff, but deeper, mostly canned goods, dried goods like pasta, beans and some rice, gravy mixes, whey powder etc. Gives us another 4 weeks. FIFO
    Supplemental rations are 6 cases of MRES and 4 cases of Mountain House
    Stalingrad rations are for SHTF and would probably get mixed with cat, rat, and crow meat. Five gallon gama sealed buckets with white rice, mixed beans, salt, sugar and cooking oil.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Stock what you eat. Eat what you stock.

If you have never tried the freeze dried / dehydrated foods check each company, get samples, some are free, try them. Don't want to stock stuff you wont eat.

Research how you can store your stock, each type of food can be stored different ways.

How much room you have will also be something to consider. There are ways to pack high calories in small spaces.

OH, and having a list of recipes and the components to make whatever food you make will he you decide how much of what to stock. Nothing like having pasta and nothing to put with it..

Top Bottom