• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NumberCruncher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    I'm contemplating reloading, but I don't want to go overboard. I only anticipate reloading for my 9mm handgun. Probably about 100+ rounds every month or so. Nothing fancy, just target ammo.

Will a set like this work for those purposes?
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00162RM3E/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YQ0F625T37GTXA84P5A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846]Amazon.com: Lee Precision II Anniversary Challenger Kit (Red): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    JMHO, I think a Lee, will serve you well..... get a couple of reloading manuals, and READ !!!!! AND, ask questions here, there are several of us who have been loading for over 20-30 years.... AND Andrew, at Profire, is just an ENCYCLOPEDIA !!!!!!!! :yesway:

Johncandy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    I too would recommend a couple manuals and some quality time reading. After that, with the low amount of rounds you want to make, I'd recommend a Lee Loader. That, a scale, a rubber mallet, and perhaps a trickler, and your set. Just by the componets and your in business. It's a very slow and tedious way to learn, but I used it to make about a 1000 rounds over some time. It really teaches you something about the process, and something you can get started with for under $100.

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Craigslist is a good place to pick up a used press. Lee dies are cheep and work well.
    I like RCBS.
    Go for a single stage.
    You need a few other tools and a scale.

Read a lyman manual a few times then buy a press.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have been using the same press for almost two years now. Hardly takes up any space, and Lee's CS is exelent. I have upgraded some things that came in the kit over time. If you are not looking for high volume loading, it's a good kit to start with.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I have the same press kit. I had troubles with the priming system on the press not working, so I picked up a hand priming tool. Also picked up an RCBS digital scale because the one that came with my press wouldn't zero. Other than those 2 things, it's a great press. Like you, I don't shoot enough to get my money's worth out of a progressive or turret.

Enjoy it, but as many people said, ask questions if you have any. You should have some questions, but the kit is a great starter kit and I think you'll be happy with it.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If you think you will do it long term, look at the Lee Classic Turret, and then start by just using one station at a time. If I remember correctly, the Classic Turret has just about everything you need, you might want to get a cheap tumbler to go with it, and of course your dies. Either way, almost everyone will agree that everyone should have a single stage on their bench, so you cant go wrong either way.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The turret press also comes as a started set if this is what you are wanting. Personally, I wold pass on a started set and buy the press, a set or two of dies for the caliber(s) you want to load, the Lee & Lyman manuals, an extra turret for each set f dies and one of the Auto Disk powder droppers then depart from Lee and get either and RCBS 502 or 505 OR a Redding #2 Beam scale (I got the Redding). If you prefer an electronic scale, then seek advice form an electronic scale user. :)

As for brass cleaning, look at it this way, running dirty brass into and out of your dies regularly is like running sand paper into and out of them constantly. It won't damage them right away but it will long term so before too long you should start thinking seriously about cleaning your brass. I use all sorts of ways, I have a couple of small ultrasonic cleaners I use for small batches of brass and handguns, a rotary cleaner that doubles as a ball mill for making black powder and two vibratory tumblers, one I have two drums for so I can use one to moly coat cast bullets. I use the vibratory tumblers most because they are easiest and fastest. Combined they almost match the rotary in capacity as well. If I have just let it pile up, then I use the rotary and do all of it at once. If i am trying to stay on top of it I use the ultrasonics to do what I shot each day, therefore the ultrasonics get used the least. LOL

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have a lot of Lee stuff and I like there presses but there scale has a lot to be desired. I picked up the RCBS 502 and it works great. I have used it for over 15 years.

You will also need a case trimer. The one that Lee makes isn't adjustable and after using it for an hour it hurts the fingers and hurts the hand. I use a Forster case trimer. It works well and is easy to use and don't hurt the fingers or hand. For priming I use the Lee Ram Prime to prime cases.

The Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press kit goes for 117.39 at Midsouth Shooters supply. It comes with every thing you need but dies and case trimmer as far as tools go.

Challenger Press Kit-- $117.39
    RCBS scale 502 ----------74.63
    Forster Case Trimmer--- 82.09
    Lee carbide 9mm dies--- 39.48 Max price. They should be cheaper.
    total -----------------------$313.59

Prices came from Midsouth 2012 catalog.

It is better to buy the kit because you can still use every thing it comes with. You don't get a case trimmer with the kit. From Lee the case trimmer is caliber specific. They cost about $15 for the gage and cutter. I used them for years. Big mistake, the Forster is so much easer. It is worth every penny that it cost. That is it is to me. I can go through 100 cases using the Forster in one third the time it takes to do with the Lee.

Last edited:

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Number Cruncher, I have the lee 50th anniversary kit, which based on the pic in the link you provided is exactly the same.

I love it! However, I have found some down falls to the accessories.

The scale: I could never figure that thing out, I ended up getting a Hornady digital scale for like $32

The powder thrower: It is awesome until you start getting into the finer powders. I went from unique to Accurate no 7 and the #7 powder spills out of the mechanizm onto my reloading table.

Those are the only two faults I have found with it.. The scale might work great for you, but I just couldn't grasp the concept.

If you get the lee press that has a breech lock and the lee dies, one thing my uncle got me for Christmas was
    Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings I love them!!! no worry about cross threading, threading in, threading out etc and it is so much quicker to change out dies! They come 2 in a pack so for a set of dies you would need 2 packs.

While searching on midway, the press you listed is on back order but with shipping is a hell of a lot cheaper than amazon. Midway is expecting the press to be in on 2-22-13

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Tumble with a Cabelas tumbler. The starter kit comes with corn cob media and polish.
    Does anyone use walnut shells from Harbor Freight?

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Fine or course?

Fine

I let them tumble for about 6-8hrs I haven't tried any other media. I bought the 25lb case about 6yrs ago and still had about 20lbs left when I got into reloading 1 1/2yrs ago, thought I would give it a try in my dual drum tumbler from harbor freight and it worked so thats what I have been using.

Top Bottom