• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    For cheap thrills I like to hang out and watch new riders take their endorsement tests. New riders with big bikes provide the most amusement on a tight obstacle course. I can't begin to count the amount of new shiny chrome I've seen scratched up as that new big bike goes siding across the pavement. On the other hand, the groups I generally see doing well are:
    1. Riders on light, maneuverable motocross or dirt bike style bikes.
    2. Riders on lighter weight, more maneuverable bikes of any type.
    3. Female riders.

I speculate that female riders do so well because they don't have a male ego that gets in the way by whispering in their ear, "I'm a man. I can do this." So they actually apply some common sense, train, and practice before they show up to take their endorsement test. And, they tend to ride machines they are ready to handle.

I think learning on a smaller bike is a smart idea. Buy something small and cheap and trade up when you are ready even if it's three months later.

~ from the Captain with 41 years in the saddle -- Harley Davidson Road King

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    FOR SURE get into a MSF course with Abate. Best money you can spend if you are NEW or rusty and want to ride.

My wife is under 5' tall and she started out on a 600 (sportbike). It's all in how you respect the bike. I would never personally get a 250 only due to the fact they get old (ie boring) quick. Sure they can go fast enough and get good mileage, but a decent 600cc sportbike or 650 sport touring would still be a great starter bike, IF YOU RESPECT YOUR SKILL LEVEL and respect the bike's power.

For cheap thrills I like to hang out and watch new riders take their endorsement tests. New riders with big bikes provide the most amusement on a tight obstacle course. I can't begin to count the amount of new shiny chrome I've seen scratched up as that new big bike goes siding across the pavement. On the other hand, the groups I generally see doing well are:
    3. Female riders.

I speculate that female riders do so well because they don't have a male ego that gets in the way by whispering in their ear, "I'm a man. I can do this." So they actually apply some common sense, train, and practice before they show up to take their endorsement test. And, they tend to ride machines they are ready to handle.

I think learning on a smaller bike is a smart idea. Buy something small and cheap and trade up when you are ready even if it's three months later.

Best one I've seen was a guy on a brand new Goldwing DELUXE model ($$$). He did the emergency braking part but forgot to put his feet down. So needless to say his brand new $25k+ bike just fell over while he sat on it, almost confused as to why.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    It's all in the riders head. I can drive a bmw 1000rr as slow as I wanted. It's not unheard of for someone to want a bigger motor soon after getting comfortable with the bike. Remember no matter how perfect and safe you drive , people don't see you. I always drove like I was invisible.

Meh, jump on a 1000cc machine and twist the throttle. You'll either learn how to ride very quickly or not at all.

But seriously the CBR 250 is a good starter bike. Go for it and definitely take the ABATE classes. 650 is a good all around cc range but you may or may not want to upgrade from that as well depending on what kind of riding you find you enjoy the most.

Be safe and have fun. That is what it is all about.

LOL, yes you are essentially invisible. Be careful. I rode a Honda 350 Four for years as my first bike. I got this one last season for under $2K, an '84 FJ100. It's a little bigger than I prefer (rode a 750 for decades) but it IS fun.
    84_yamaha_FJ1100_rhs.jpg

Last edited:

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I was told to ride "like everyone is out to kill you" so to speak. Assume everyone is going to pull out in front of you, so have an out if they do. VERY defensive driving skills needed.

Like I said before, any bike within reason is an ok starter bike. I GENERALLY tell everyone a 600cc sportbike or a 750cc cruiser are more starter bikes. The more powerful ones just get you into trouble faster (not meaning legally). All will be able to do more than the speed limit etc, some just make it easier to do so faster.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Oh, I forgot something. While riding my friends 1200 sportster with dual pipes that were loud, I learned loud pipes do not save lives. Got pulled in front of twice on it. Luckily I was paying attention and avoided an accident.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    By all means, take the ABATE class.
    I did and it was WELL worth it.

ALWAYS,
    ride like nobody sees you while at the same time doing everything you can do to BE seen,
    wear FULL protective gear that's highly visible (day glow yellow is the color easiest to see) for WHEN not IF you have an accident,
    and don't forget a good pair of gloves.

THAT SAID, I never bought into the idea of a "starter bike", as all bikes have throttles and each of us is given a brain if we have the SENSE to use it! :):

My "starter bike" was a 1984 Honda V65 Magna, 1100cc, DOHC water cooled V4, 116hp, shaft drive that I bought used in 1990 for a price I couldn't pass up.
    (A cruiser type bike with approx 11 second Quarter Mile capability)

In those days, I was 6'1", somewhat athletic, with above average physical strength.

Before buying the V65 Magna, I'd only ridden a 125cc a couple of times as a kid, and a Honda 350 once over 10 years before.

ALL I did was begin by riding on less traveled country roads, while at the same time resisting ANY temptation to get "stupid" with the throttle.
    I rode and worked to improve my technique.
    The KEY was, I NEVER lost RESPECT for this bike that could get me into trouble quickly if I lost that RESPECT.

The only "mishap" I had with this bike was to once tip it over when doing a slow U-Turn on a crowned country road.

My personal experience says that if I can start out on, and learn to ride a powerful fast bike that had one of the highest death rates for it's time, then the "starter bike" philosophy isn't set in stone for everybody, and can turn out to be a big waste of money too.

I'm NOW riding a 2008 Yamaha FJR 1300 performance touring bike I bought new in 2008 and loving it!
    A fast, well handling touring bike suited to go across town or across the country that fits my needs perfectly!

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Cycling turned me into a High Vis freak, and that'll cross over nicely to motorcycling. :rockwoot:

Although it does seem harder to find high vis motorcycle gear than cycling gear, it seems most people on these things like the color black.

I already have the jacket and helmet, I'll have the pants and the gloves in the mail shortly. :D

IMG_20140328_125240_zps37130ece.jpg

2009_tour_master_venture_pants_hi-visibility_yellow_zpsf0ffd9fd.jpg

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Cycling turned me into a High Vis freak, and that'll cross over nicely to motorcycling. :rockwoot:

Although it does seem harder to find high vis motorcycle gear than cycling gear, it seems most people on these things like the color black.

I already have the jacket and helmet, I'll have the pants and the gloves in the mail shortly. :D

IMG_20140328_125240_zps37130ece.jpg

2009_tour_master_venture_pants_hi-visibility_yellow_zpsf0ffd9fd.jpg
    It seems you got your permit problem solved! What bike did you get?

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    My "starter" bike is the one I still ride, an '82 Goldwing GL 1100 Standard. I've been itching to get back out on the road.

Take the ABATE course, find some country roads to get familiar with the bike, and when you're comfortable operating it properly, get it out on the road.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Buy it. Ride it. Enjoy it. Buy another one.

The riding courses are great. I'm planning to take a refresher course this summer. As with most things, you can't get enough training.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    3. Female riders.

I waited four hours to take my riding test in Martinsville a dozen years ago or so. I learned a LOT about the testing procedures and the pass or fail decisions. Some guys just plain couldn't get their big cruisers to turn tight enough to pass the course. Also seen supposed "trick" sport bike riders have to put their foot down. Even with obviously experienced riders, some bikes are just tough to get through the tight course.

The fairly disappointing part of the testing was watching nearly ALL the women get passed regardless of weak performance. One woman simply was not qualified to be on her Shadow and a danger to all, passed anyway. Her hubby seemed to know a lot of riders there? Another (pretty) girl who seemed pretty awkward got passed also, on her scooter wearing flip flops.

The worst was a middle aged recently retired Marine. He was riding a a dual sport bike, perfect for the course. The problem was, it appeared that he had just jumped on any bike for the first time that morning. He had lots of trouble, but finished the course. The man in charge thanked him for his service and congratulated him on passing the test. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I was told to ride "like everyone is out to kill you" so to speak. Assume everyone is going to pull out in front of you, so have an out if they do. VERY defensive driving skills needed.

Like I said before, any bike within reason is an ok starter bike. I GENERALLY tell everyone a 600cc sportbike or a 750cc cruiser are more starter bikes. The more powerful ones just get you into trouble faster (not meaning legally). All will be able to do more than the speed limit etc, some just make it easier to do so faster.

I'd hope you aren't telling 100% inexperienced riders to hop on a modern 600cc sport bike. I've known some new riders that were told they could handle modern (at the time) 600cc sport bikes. One is in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, one mostly relaxes in a pine box these days, and a couple got scared off of riding from some high sides caused by inexperience, twitchy bikes, and too much confidence because they were told they could handle just about anything if they respected it. And even the old (late 80's/early 90's) 600cc sport bikes can get you in trouble quick if you're not a skilled rider.

Top Bottom