Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    To those that don't understand this, change a word around:

"We no longer welcome women into our stores, but we'll still serve you."
    "We no longer welcome gays into our stores, but we'll still serve you."
    "We no longer welcome mexicans into our stores, but we'll still serve you."
    "We no longer welcome bicyclists into our stores, but we'll still serve you."
    "We no longer welcome firearms into our stores, but we'll still serve you."

If Starbucks said "We no longer welcome firearm OWNERS into our stores, but we'll still serve you." your point would be valid.

But that's not what they said, is it?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If Starbucks said "We no longer welcome firearm OWNERS into our stores, but we'll still serve you." your point would be valid.

They're separating the object from the person. That's removal of a right. My firearm is part of my person, it is where I am. If it isn't welcome, neither am I.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

They said my firearm is not welcome....if my firearm is on my hip, the firearm and I become one...to not welcome my firearm, is to not welcome me.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Trying to think through this from the other side....and come up with suitable comparisons....

Say for instance there was a subset of customers that were uncomfortable with short-shorts and expressed their displeasure to SB mgt and then SB came out with a similar "short-shorts" are no longer welcome in our stores. We will still serve you, but really wished you were a little more conservative in your dress when you come to visit us - thanks. Is that a fair comparison?

What if it were pocket knives? You can't take a pocket knife lots of places now like sports stadiums...could have just as easily been pocket knives.

I'm trying to think of an object that someone who's a bit more, shall we say, left leaning...how about political stickers on laptops? If your laptop has an Obama sticker on it, some of our customers are annoyed and don't feel comfortable and are prevented from enjoying the universal feeling of community in our coffee shops. Is that a fair comparison? I know I am annoyed when I see one...often making a Bill Engval "Here's Your Sign" comment.

What if it were bicycles? Bicycle/skate board helmets? Child-on-a-leash?

Here's one - what if it were backpacks? Hey, I am uncomfortable with backpacks especially in light of the recent Boston Bombings! What about a campaign by those with nothing to do against backpacks?! How would SB or any business respond? How should they respond?

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    This is rich. I guess they choose sides when the pressure got to be to much. Seems like everyone folds these days.

"Both sides of the issue have staged events at Starbucks, so our company has been characterized as pro and anti-gun, but we're neither'" insists Schultz. "Very few issues are as emotional or as polarizing as this."

No, you are one now. You've requested no guns in your stores so you're anti.

"For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where "open carry" is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel."

Even better. Kudos to the officers for still being able to get their coffee. I don't drink coffee
    personally, but this isn't comforting to me at all. Heaven forbade something go wrong and there aren't any officers on hand.

"As a result, Schultz says, Starbucks has heard from numerous customers who don't want guns in the stores. He declined to state how many. But, he says, "it got my attention."."

I'll bet the amount of emails you're about to get is going to get your attention.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I suppose this is really no different than their "terms of use" on the wireless network they provide. You can't use it to do a whole list of things, but plenty of folks do (and even use it for ILLEGAL activity). Starbucks just turns a blind eye.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    He seems like he really did not want to get in the middle of this. I dont understand why he didnt ask people who wish to carry to please conceal carry for the comfort of all customers.

docapos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    mooresville area
    He seems like he really did not want to get in the middle of this. I dont understand why he didnt ask people who wish to carry to please conceal carry for the comfort of all customers.

But that wouldn't be any better or any more in line with our rights. While living in Louisiana I had to wait a year before I could apply for a CCW permit but I could and did legally open carry, for me that was the only way but every time a decision like this is made it becomes a little bit more "normal" and accepted. Baby steps.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Well I'm guessing this has more to do with idiots open carrying rifles to their stores to " show support" for them being not anti gun.
    We stabbed this friend in the back.

Top Bottom