• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I bought their seconds, all the time, good bullets, for reloading ..... I miss that place .....

Yep me too, I love there 200 grain HP 45 auto, The HP is so big on the that bullet I push a LR primer in the HP and roll a Mag full out of one of my Ingram's at a dirt berm that's wet from the rain.. It's hilarious with a can on it..
    All you hear is thwak...thwak..thwak..thwak.. And it leaves holes big enough to put a milk jug in..

Tp222

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Laporte
    I still have a case of .38 wadcutters from when my father went to the academy in the early 70's. They have been reloaded a bunch but are still in great shape, I enjoy breaking out the boxes at ppc matches and see the old timers gawk

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Star and Super Vel (both with Hoosier connections) were tops, but went the way of the dodo. Just goes to show that some things of the 70's were good.

WEB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Carmel
    I still have a half box 158 gr wad cutters from star. It's funny I was just thinking of reloading them. I grew up shooting their ammo and always found it to be accurate and affordable.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    They were great to deal with. I am in the Trucking business and I hauled there stuff all over the country from 1981 into the early 90s. I know I have a box of their 38 somewhere. I saw it when we moved a couple of years ago! I hated that they went out of business.

RANGERRON72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2016
    Centennial
    I graduated from North Central HS in 1968 and used to shoot with Jim Russell, Fall Creek Gun Club at Ft Ben. I was a bullseye pistol shooter in 1966- and Jim had me out and I worked summers for $2 an hour. I was in heaven, since the press operators would run out the powder, and they had to take a whole coffee can of .38 WC and shoot it to find out which ones didn't have powder.....Mr. Russell (Jim's Dad and retired Indy PD) trusted me and would give me hundreds of rounds of 38 WC and tell me "bring back the brass." Worked their two or three summers, 69- 71 and was commissioned in the Army May of 72..........Had boxes of their bullets, was a bonus and going away gift......Fine people, fond memories...... swaged not cast, Jim designed a lot of the machines..
    If Jim Russell is on this, would love to hear from him.....I am 68 years old, he must be late 70's-80's Thanks for the memories..

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    My experience with their lead bullets is that they were pretty soft as they were swagged from lead rope and not cast. They were dirty as hell too because of the lube they used (molly coated maybe?) because they didn't have a lube groove (due to being swagged) and that lube got up in the dies and... well I stopped using them.

Anyway, they shot fine.
    That was my experience too. They did have a tendency to lead the barrel.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nothing wrong with those cartridges, I shot a lot of them back when they were in business.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    As a teenager I loaded thousands of Star lead 38 bullets for several local departments. My step-father was the dept instructor and on the pistol (revolver) team. They were dirty and they were soft too as they were cut and swaged from lead cable. I still have about 500 left that I need to shoot up. Back then lead was it, now all I use is plated for reloading.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I used a lot of Jim’s products back in the day. In Bullseye and PPC shooting. When running qualifications For some PD’s it was a go to for ammo. Met up with Jim when he lost everything and moved to Westfield with his grandson. He joined and shot at ACC with me developing some new loads with his Contender. I still have a few boxes of his ammo And was happy to know him. Sad story of the end of the business.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    When I first started shooting and had to go to a indoor range I would go to Don's Guns in Carmel. 1982ish If you bought there ammo thats what you would get.
    Star reloads.
    At that time I didn't know good from bad on many fronts...lol

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    When I first started shooting and had to go to a indoor range I would go to Don's Guns in Carmel. 1982ish If you bought there ammo thats what you would get.
    Star reloads.
    At that time I didn't know good from bad on many fronts...lol
    I still have a few boxes of star ammo too. I shot them a lot back in the day. They shot well and the price was great. Man, just think what they could be these days with the ammo shortages and high prices.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I was there when they were closing down, oh what deals and cases of ammo I got...…...all gone now, but I sure was a regular customer back in the day.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Pre 2003 I drove to a place that was called Star in Indianapolis and bought several kegs of powder. It was not really a store, more of an office. It was not even on a street of stores. I walked in and they sold me what I came for. I cannot remember the address. Seems like I bought some bullets too.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Shot them a lot. Still have a box or two of the 357. Probably shot them because they were the cheapest, price wise that is.

Top Bottom