• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    A lady in our church had a heart attack on Monday night, and was recovering at St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in Mishawaka. I went to visit her on Tuesday, and as I approached the door, I saw a sign that stated "State Law Prohibits Carrying A Handgun On These Premises". I was appalled that they would assume that their own policies would constitute state law. I went ahead and emailed them the following letter.

To Whom It May Concern,

I recently visited the Mishawaka campus of SJRMC to see a friend who had fallen ill. As I approached the entrance to the building, a sign posted on the door caught my eye. This particular sign stated "State Law Prohibits Carrying A Handgun On These Premises". I realize that SJRMC is a private business, and can establish its own policies. However, stating that the policies of SJRMC constitute State Law is blatantly false. I would encourage you to read Indiana Code Title 35, Article 47 which deals with the sale, possession, and regulation of firearms. You will find that State law only prohibits carrying firearms on school property (including Head Start, preschool, and licensed daycare facilities), and into the secure areas of an airport. Federal law regulates the possession of firearms on federal property.

I understand that this may have been an oversight on your part, and may not have been an intentional misleading of the general public. For this reason, I am notifying you that your signs are incorrect. State law does not prohibit carrying of handguns on your property. If you wish to continue with your policy of prohibiting handguns on your property, you should change your signs to reflect the fact that it is not State law, but your own policy that prohibits firearms.

Sincerely,

(Name Redacted)

0607112038.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That is pretty odd. But, there's no law that says they have to tell the truth in their signage, either.

Interesting graphic and language. So... you could bring a shotgun? An EBR? Just not a revolver?

sinisterright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I only have a problem with these signs when my kids are with me.
    "Hey daddy! That sign says that you can't bring a gun in here. You have a gun don't you daddy." Why did we ever teach them to read.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I only have a problem with these signs when my kids are with me.
    "Hey daddy! That sign says that you can't bring a gun in here. You have a gun don't you daddy." Why did we ever teach them to read.

Along with teaching them to read, teach them to not tell everybody everything.

On another note, I would bring a shotgun. Conceal it in a duffel bag. Or buy a Serbu Super Shorty or similar sized AOW.

NovemberKilo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    IIRC, because this is a Catholic hospital, they refuse to provide emergency contraception to rape victims.

This was a big controversy in a Poli Sci class I took at IUSB circa 2006... Not sure if they have changed their policy or not.

But that alone made me decide to avoid them at all costs.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    IIRC, because this is a Catholic hospital, they refuse to provide emergency contraception to rape victims.

This was a big controversy in a Poli Sci class I took at IUSB circa 2006... Not sure if they have changed their policy or not.

yeah, i hate those "all life is sacred, even babies who had no say in how they were conceived" types. damn them all.

and yes, emergency contraception does not actually prevent conception in so much as it prevents implantation.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Good on you, Hoosierdood. I for one will not frequent that hospital. Of course I live on the other end of the state, but still....

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    yeah, i hate those "all life is sacred, even babies who had no say in how they were conceived" types. damn them all.

and yes, emergency contraception does not actually prevent conception in so much as it prevents implantation.

I'm gonna have to wait till I reload before I can rep you! :yesway:

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana

:yesway: Thanks for saying what I was thinking. I repped you for that one.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i'm not saying what i would do in that situation. i honestly have no idea.. but if the catholic church is anything, they are unashamedly pro-life. and sometimes sticking to your guns ain't easy.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    NovemberKilo;1938397[B said:
    ]IIRC, because this is a Catholic hospital, they refuse to provide emergency contraception to rape victims.[/B]

Good.

So you believe that a private institution should be forced to kill human life against their will?

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North

As opposed to the sacred life of the poor rape victim who might not want to carry around and raise half a rapist? Babies aren't the only people who have rights. I don't think women should be forced to perpetuate the life of rapists against their will.

Top Bottom