• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    What can anyone make of this? I'm not sure if the first digit is an 8 or a S.
    [/IMG]

If it's an "S", the guy might have been doing what I always do. In Basic Training we were told to use a laundry mark for everything we were sending to Quartermaster Laundry Service which was to consist of the initial of our last names and the last four digits of our service numbers. I engrave mine under the right grip panel on my pistols. Maybe that's what this is.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    would you mind if someone tagged your car with spray paint? the car would still work fine.

That's a bit different. I sure would mind if someone tagged my car. But if I were wanting to buy a car, and I found the perfect car that the current owner had engraved his SSN under the hood, I don't think it would bother me at all.

Those sure were different times. I remember back in basic training in 1982, the cool thing to do was to have your SSN tatoo'd on your forearm. SSN was then a public number that was used for a A&P license number, SN in the military and lots of other stuff that needed a unique ID. I don't know what kind of jack wad was dumb enough to feel that it could be used for a secure personal ID number. The fact that a bank can open an account and legally bind it to someone bases just on an SSN is ridiculous.

Kloutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    In the center of it all
    If it's an "S", the guy might have been doing what I always do. In Basic Training we were told to use a laundry mark for everything we were sending to Quartermaster Laundry Service which was to consist of the initial of our last names and the last four digits of our service numbers. I engrave mine under the right grip panel on my pistols. Maybe that's what this is.

Interesting bit of information--thanks.

Top Bottom