• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    This might not be the right section but my question entails the handgunsi iv run accross so? But feel free to move it need it be......anyways......so over the past couple years iv been collecting s&w revolvers and iv bought a couple and when Iv removed the grips to clean them well I have run into 4 guns that have had a series of numbers in the format of xxx-xx-xxxx jst like a social security number pattern engraved into the frame of the butt they have no numerical connection to the serial number of the gun just a Random set of numbers in that pattern so im wondering was that the thing to do back in the day? doesn't seem smart nowadays .......also Keep in mind I have only seen this on s&w revolver.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    don't know how common, but I was interested in buying a coworker's Smith, until I saw he had engraved a number on it. he said it was his drivers license number when he bought the gun. haha. I passsed.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It wasn't that long ago that it was rather common for folks to engrave their personal info. in to the firearm / grips as a means of ID should they become lost or stolen.

If it's on the inside of a grip panel... Who cares. Heck, even on the outside of a grip panel is no biggie; as grips can be replaced.

Etched into the metal can certainly be a deal-breaker on a collectible, but on a shooter-condition firearm, probably still not a big deal. I'd take my grandfather's formerly owned 1911 pistol back even if it had his # on every single part (grandma and pappaw got rid of it when I was quite small, fearing that my nosey self would find it and hurt myself... so, instead of securing it, they sold it. Along with 1 or 2 Japanese swords he brought back after his service in WWII)

-J-

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Engraving your SSN onto all your household items was highly recommended in the 70's. Buy an electric engraving pen at Sears for $5.95 and have at it. Your insurance agent and even 6:00 news recommended the practice. I have probably run across 100 firearms with numbers on them. As stated, they ruin some collector value but are fine for shooters.

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    Engraving your SSN onto all your household items was highly recommended in the 70's. Buy an electric engraving pen at Sears for $5.95 and have at it. Your insurance agent and even 6:00 news recommended the practice. I have probably run across 100 firearms with numbers on them. As stated, they ruin some collector value but are fine for shooters.

Thanks this is what I was curious too I assumed it was a trend for a certin era

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I remember when the insurance companies were really pushing engraving everything. Some even made you get numbers embossed on your car windows. It did nothing to prevent theft, but it did make used auto glass worth less.

cotero82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Actually, engraving your DL # is smart. It's the only number than can be easily tracked by every law enforcemt agency in the country.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    don't know how common, but I was interested in buying a coworker's Smith, until I saw he had engraved a number on it. he said it was his drivers license number when he bought the gun. haha. I passsed.

did that engraving make the gun not work?

This sounds like the whole "idiot scratch" on 1911s. Like I would turn down a deal on a TRP because of a scratch. To each their own.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Citizens were not the only ones using engraving pens in the 70's. I have a Colt Officers Model Match .38 that was fairly heavily marked up by the Anderson PD in April, 1974. Has case #, Property room officer's initials, etc on it. But it was obviously never shot much at all and I bought it fairly cheaply as a shooter and have never regretted it. All of those revolvers are really accurate. They represented the colt name in match shooting all over the world, in their day....John

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    Citizens were not the only ones using engraving pens in the 70's. I have a Colt Officers Model Match .38 that was fairly heavily marked up by the Anderson PD in April, 1974. Has case #, Property room officer's initials, etc on it. But it was obviously never shot much at all and I bought it fairly cheaply as a shooter and have never regretted it. All of those revolvers are really accurate. They represented the colt name in match shooting all over the world, in their day....John

Wow sweet gun you have there! Lol but ya its never stopped me from buying a quality gun ............but dang people went at it with there engraving pens too even engrave a window is extreme I understand the gun thing cause alot of people when they buy a gun don't intend to sell it

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    We have several tools at work that were handmade and engraved with SSN. As my boss says, it was a different time back then.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    did that engraving make the gun not work?

This sounds like the whole "idiot scratch" on 1911s. Like I would turn down a deal on a TRP because of a scratch. To each their own.

it was a disfigurement, a distraction, and might make proving ownership more difficult for me.

would you mind if someone tagged your car with spray paint? the car would still work fine.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    What about a 5 digit number etched into the top of the slide directly behind the rear site on a S&W 1076?

A little late to the thread, but a 5 digit could be a birth date. 11746 for example, 11-7-46 or 1-17-46

I bought an old Smith and Wesson Model 10 a while back, took the grips off, had a guy's name, date he got it, and a social security number on it. Figured if I ever needed a spare identity, even if the age is WAY off...

Seen a fairly nice first seires Colt Woodsman pretty much ruined from a collector stand point because the original owner engraved his SSN on the front strap.

Different times back then, much different times now

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Actually, engraving your DL # is smart. It's the only number than can be easily tracked by every law enforcemt agency in the country.

So can the serial number that's already on the gun as long as you report it stolen. So what if I can run your driver's license? That doesn't tell me if its stolen, sold, or any information at all. Do you think we'll hold the gun while we look up your phone number and call you? Especially if its out of state?

No, just keep your serial numbers. If the gun is stolen, report it stolen and the local police will put it in NCIC. Then if the S/N is ran anywhere in the nation it will show the gun is stolen and the owner's information.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    would you mind if someone tagged your car with spray paint? the car would still work fine.

Strange as it may sound. No that wouldn't bother me.t I am strange about vehicles. Just a way to get from point A to point B and even in my youth I could care less as long as the truck ran good.

I remember back in the 70's I told my dad that the police said we should put his Social Security number on our guns and that they would come by and do it for you. He looked at me and said "I don't think so son, that's the dumbest thing I have ever heard..."The 70's were not all about free love and liesure suits. Apparently it was also about engraving stuff.:rolleyes:

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    when i was a youngter i had a 22 pistol that i removed the grips and put my ssn on a piece of paper then put inside the frame of the gun then put the grips back on thinking if it were stolen or lost i could identify it. after forgeting i had done that i sold the gun. Many years later was at a garage sale and there was a pistol just like it. i ask the people if i could look and see if it was still there they said sure so i did there it was! i removed it and said thanks for letting me do that. i dont think that was a good idea then or now but its a different world now in my opinion

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    The first 22 rifle I got as a teen had someones name engraved on the side. Very poorly done I might add. I didn't care I was happy to have it

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    when i was a youngter i had a 22 pistol that i removed the grips and put my ssn on a piece of paper then put inside the frame of the gun then put the grips back on thinking if it were stolen or lost i could identify it. after forgeting i had done that i sold the gun. Many years later was at a garage sale and there was a pistol just like it. i ask the people if i could look and see if it was still there they said sure so i did there it was! i removed it and said thanks for letting me do that. i dont think that was a good idea then or now but its a different world now in my opinion

And you didn't buy it back? That might have been too cool to pass up.

Top Bottom