• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    A class above the LCP, yes. A class above Ruger in general? No.

I have owned both and I will say this: Do not think that because the M&P is more expensive that somehow it is better quality than the Ruger because it is not. Get the one that works better for you, and if you save a few bucks by getting the SR9c great, but don't get the M&P because you think you are getting a higher quality firearm because you are not. In fact, I feel the SR9c's stock trigger is world's beyond the M&P.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Thanks for the info. The C's looked smaller so I was curious if they would bite like a S&W 380 Bodyguard (which I hate). I'm looking for something solid but smaller / thinner than my Ruger Sp101 357 to carry. Something I may be able to conceal better IWB.

No, they don't bite anything like the Bodyguard.
    Ruger also makes the LC9, which is a little smaller yet than the Ruger c's.

I REALLY like the feel and handling of my 9c. I used the full sized SR9 for IDPA mainly.

Prices on the Ruger 9 and 9c are in the $400 range.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    M&P9C is easy as heck to conceal, you just need the right holster to make it comfortable. I have the Galco King Tuc IWB. My hands are too big for a Shield probably, but the 9c is as accurate as any full size pistol for me. I have an LCP for extreme cases, but I picked the M&P9C as my EDC, and the one gun to trust for nearly all situations. I could honestly do without the LCP, it is more of a novelty, and is not accurate enough to boost my confidence.

IMO the M&P is in a class above Rugers, and can be had for less, so for me it is a no brainer.

Class is in the eye of the beholder.
    The Rugers can be purchased for approx $400 give or take a couple of bucks all day long. Personally I've Never seen an M&P near that price point. :twocents:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    A class above the LCP, yes. A class above Ruger in general? No.

I have owned both and I will say this: Do not think that because the M&P is more expensive that somehow it is better quality than the Ruger because it is not. Get the one that works better for you, and if you save a few bucks by getting the SR9c great, but don't get the M&P because you think you are getting a higher quality firearm because you are not. In fact, I feel the SR9c's stock trigger is world's beyond the M&P.

+1

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Love my Sr9c. 1000 rounds through it with no problems.
    I shoot it better than the Smith.
    Shoot both to see which you like.
    If you shop with a little effort you can easily find the Sr9c for approx $400 or less new.

Where are you finding new SR9C's in the $400 range. Around here they want $465 for used ones. Which to me seems high since they retail for $529 new on the Ruger website.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Class is in the eye of the beholder.
    The Rugers can be purchased for approx $400 give or take a couple of bucks all day long. Personally I've Never seen an M&P near that price point. :twocents:

Your both wrong, M&P's are not significantly more expensive at all. PSA has M&P's for $399, and I got one with Trijicon night sights elsewhere for $399. But I admit the more common price is $450. Anyways, my point s that the price is so close that price is a mute issue. So it comes down to the quality of the gun. M&P is finished in Melonite, and has excellent overall quality. I haven't held a SR9, but I know that every Ruger I own has plastic and finish that are not in the same class as M&P.

Last edited:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Your both wrong. PSA has M&P's for $399, and I got one with Trijicon night sigts for $399. But I admit the more common price is $450. Anyways, my point s that the price is so close that price is a mute issue. So it comes down to the quality of the gun. M&P is finished in Melanite, and has excellent overall quality. I haven't held a SR9, but I know that every Ruger I own has plastic and finish that are not in the same class as M&P.

psa has been out of stock on M&P's for 2 weeks. at least the ones priced at which you are referring. i kicked myself in the butt for missing out. :(

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Your both wrong, M&P's are not significantly more expensive at all. PSA has M&P's for $399, and I got one with Trijicon night sights elsewhere for $399. But I admit the more common price is $450. Anyways, my point s that the price is so close that price is a mute issue. So it comes down to the quality of the gun. M&P is finished in Melonite, and has excellent overall quality. I haven't held a SR9, but I know that every Ruger I own has plastic and finish that are not in the same class as M&P.

No it's not in the same class. Appears to be better. Friend with a couple of M&P's is having rust issues with them. Even though they are cleaned and protected properly. Even sent the slide back twice because of it.

My Rugers, nope nada.

It's all opinion. I don't think one is really any better or worse than the other. SR9's have a better trigger. Especially the 9c. I shoot the SR9's better as well as other folks I've seen shoot both. YMMV

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    No it's not in the same class. Appears to be better. Friend with a couple of M&P's is having rust issues with them. Even though they are cleaned and protected properly. Even sent the slide back twice because of it.

My Rugers, nope nada.

It's all opinion. I don't think one is really any better or worse than the other. SR9's have a better trigger. Especially the 9c. I shoot the SR9's better as well as other folks I've seen shoot both. YMMV

Personally I think Rugers are more solid than some of the other guns that have been mentioned. I like the way they feel in my hands better than other brands. I like Rugers because they look and feel like real guns.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    M&P is finished in Melonite, and has excellent overall quality. I haven't held a SR9, but I know that every Ruger I own has plastic and finish that are not in the same class as M&P.

This hasn't been my experience, personally. I have an M&P9 and a SR9c. Had a SR9 for quite awhile too. All of them have been great. The Rugers' finishes have held up better than the M&P in my experience. The M&P seems to show holster wear more readily than either SR I have owned. The SRs have probably even been drawn from holsters more times. I do give a slight nod to the M&P in the fit and finish department; it just seems to be a little "slicker." having said that, my SR9c probably has a better out of the box trigger than the M&P, but with Apex's help, it now exceeds the SR.

Top Bottom