• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Which one should I get. I was thinking G26, 450 cash at any gun show, probably a little more for the xD.

Buds has the SR9c for 398 shipped right now

I defiantly want a compact 9mm and I don't want a keltec or taurus or anything over 500 dollars. I was hoping to walk out of a gun show with a gun, a box of fmj, a box of hollow points and a holster for about 550.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    The Glock 26 is just a tad bit smaller than the XDSC 9mm, not sure if it is enough to matter to you. I used to have a G26 but traded it for the XDSC 9mm just to try it out (haven't made it to the range you so I can't tell you which one I prefer). I can say that I liked the G26 and I'm sure I will get another one someday.

I haven't tried the Ruger so I have no idea about them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    The Glock 26 is just a tad bit smaller than the XDSC 9mm, not sure if it is enough to matter to you. I used to have a G26 but traded it for the XDSC 9mm just to try it out (haven't made it to the range you so I can't tell you which one I prefer). I can say that I liked the G26 and I'm sure I will get another one someday.

I haven't tried the Ruger so I have no idea about them.

I have bear claws for hands. When I hold my full size FNP 45 it looks smaller from perspective than my lcp looks in my girlfriends hands. I'd prefer something a little thicker but also I'm on the chunky side and IWB does not work super well.

Teach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have not shot the glock 26, but I did take my xd9 sc out before it got too cold. I loved it!! I was expecting a bite, but it never showed up. I shot very well for not being a sharpshooter. I carry it in a crossbreed IWB and it feels great. The only time I notice it is when sitting in the car. Good luck and have fun shopping!!

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I carry a Glock 26, This little gun just does everything right. I haven't had the chance to see the SR9c, but would like to try one out.

floatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    My dad has a G26, it's a pretty sweet little handgun. I like pretty much everything about it, but I have a M&P 9c, which is pretty similar in size, and fits my hand way better. Because they're still relatively new, you may not be able to walk out with all that for $550, but it'll be worth another fifty bucks or so. Mine is excellent.
    At least pick up and hold an M&P 9c, all my friends agree it feels more natural than a G26. With all that said, you definitely can't go wrong with a G26, just that an M&P might feel better.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My XD9sc was a great little gun. Reliable, accurate, soft shooting. Highly recommended.

I will say, though, that the full size wouldn't have been all that much harder to conceal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    My XD9sc was a great little gun. Reliable, accurate, soft shooting. Highly recommended.

I will say, though, that the full size wouldn't have been all that much harder to conceal.
    I find it impossible to conceal my FNP 45 unless I keep it at 04:00 and wear a long button up un buttoned and then it becomes obvious. And when I was eating dinner the other night the waitress bumped into the grip and almot pulled me off my chair. I perfer the FBI cant as it keeps the grip closer to my by body and I like open carrying I just find it innaporperiate in some instances. I forgot about the M&p c I'd like to shoot one first.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Just some numbers (taken from manufacturers' websites):

~ Height of G26: 4.17"
    ~ XDsc: 4.75" (A good .6" difference, and every bit counts. This is because of XDs' tall slides, like Sigs'.)
    ~ SR9c: 4.61" (Closer to XDsc, but...)

The Glock and the Ruger are both very thin; the XD is thicker (hard to see by the stats, since they only measure the widest part of each gun, but a side-by-side will show it). If you really want max concealment, the XD is definitely lagging behind the other two in both height and width.

Between the Ruger and the Glock, the SR9 is a bit taller than the G26, but its more rounded lines should compensate. Both are nice and thin.

But hey, if you happen to like XDs a lot more, you could certainly do worse.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

The Glock and the Ruger are both very thin; the XD is thicker (hard to see by the stats, since they only measure the widest part of each gun, but a side-by-side will show it). If you really want max concealment, the XD is definitely lagging behind the other two in both height and width.

Between the Ruger and the Glock, the SR9 is a bit taller than the G26, but its more rounded lines should compensate. Both are nice and thin.

But hey, if you happen to like XDs a lot more, you could certainly do worse.

That was what I found with my XD9sc. The slide is so tall and blocky, and the grip relatively thick, that it really wouldn't have been that much harder to conceal the XD Service, and the bigger gun would be slightly easier to shoot to boot. I often carried the full size mag in my XD9sc because the extra grip length didn't make all that much difference, with the other factors considered. Still, in a Kholster I was able to carry the XD9sc to work every day under just a tucked in dress shirt, and no one ever noticed.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    One thing to keep in mind with the XD subcompact is that it only has a 3" barrel. At some point a barrel becomes so short you might as well be shooting 380 fmj (if you can find it). I'm not saying the XD 3" is that short, but it's short enough that you should carefully select your load for it. There isn't a lot of ballistic data available for 9mm barrels that short, so you should carefully select and test the ammunition you use in it to verify the performance you desire. This is not as much the case for the 3.5"-ish and longer barreled guns, since there's more data out there for those that you can use. See, "barrel length implications" on this page:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

To quote: "Please be aware that if you venture into guns with a barrel length of less than 3.5", you're in uncharted territory."

I'd go with the G26 due to the longer barrel and compact size. The G26 is only 0.04" longer overall than the XD 3", but it has a barrel that's almost half an inch longer (3.46"). The XD 3" is virtually as big with an unnecessarily short barrel (imho) that hampers its ballistic capability more than necessary.

The SR9c is larger than either of the others, larger than a G19.

I'd avoid the SR9c due to the manual "safety" lever and magazine disconnect (both "features" I don't care for). If you don't mind the size of the SR9c, or the "safety" features, then it's a viable choice, but then so would be the G19 (and the G19 would be smaller).

In this sense, the SR9c is the oddball out here. Like, "which one of these things doesn't belong." The SR9c isn't in the same size class as either the G26 or XD 3".

Last edited:

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I gave my G26 to my wife and picked up a XD9sc for me. I never messed with XD's and figured I'd give one a shot. If I could get her to trade me I would. G26 is easier to carry. I hold a tighter group with the 26 over the xd9sc. I don't like that big bulky slide on the XD (too late now I know) It's a tank when compared to the 26. Plus I like the fact that you can carry G17 mag for back up, and Glock mags seem to be easier to find and a tad cheaper

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I have found nothing I like better than my M&P 9c for EDC and I have tried MANY. I would like to get my hands on one of those SR9c's to check it out, looks like a nice pistol.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I gave my G26 to my wife and picked up a XD9sc for me. I never messed with XD's and figured I'd give one a shot. If I could get her to trade me I would. G26 is easier to carry. I hold a tighter group with the 26 over the xd9sc. I don't like that big bulky slide on the XD (too late now I know) It's a tank when compared to the 26. Plus I like the fact that you can carry G17 mag for back up, and Glock mags seem to be easier to find and a tad cheaper

All is not lost, you can carry the full size XD mags as a back up for your XD9sc, with or without the extension. More comfy with the extension, gives you the grip of a full size XD, but a little harder to conceal the mag.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom