• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Is anybody else going to try and get a few squirrels before its over? Can anybody recommend there favorite 22 lr hunting load? I have a hard time finding any 22 rounds anywhere

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Yes, and best load is the one you can shoot within a 1/2-1" circle consistently. Pretty much any .22 round will put down a squirrel with a good head shot.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I'm not afraid to use any .22 load. But cci min mags are nice. 36 grain hollowpoimt. Winchester white box are the same grain etc also.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I tend to use whatever I have, which may be the bucket of bullets, CCI, Aquila, etc.

Should have been squirrel hunting this past week instead of waiting on one more doe to come through. I counted 7 of those tree rats within 35 yards of me at the same time. Yes, I may go out again this season.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I went out yesterday mainly because I didn't want to be in the house and had no reason to go to gun store. Stopped before I got soaked. I use subsonics but could get it done with any ammo.

Last edited:

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    We always go out a couple more times and sit in our tree stands and squirrel hunt. Best way to get them this time of year if your stand is in a good feeding spot. I use a S&W 15-22 and use Winchester M-22 in it. Heads shots are of course the best but I find myself shooting for those ribs out of habit I guess.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    So how long does it take you guys to clean squirrels? When my brothers hunted them, it seemed as though it took forever to get all of the hair out.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    So how long does it take you guys to clean squirrels? When my brothers hunted them, it seemed as though it took forever to get all of the hair out.

About two minutes, no hair. This is what works best for me. Be sure to skin back some and get a GOOD purchase with your boot. Don't just step on the tail, I'll break off. Waggle your foot right up under the back of the squirrel and put your weight on it.

[video=youtube;4c8OyexZ10E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c8OyexZ10E[/video]

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    Yep that's the same way we do it. We used to cut across the back and pull both ways but that was for young strong guys. Got smarter in my older age.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Im really considering using a 17, mainly just an excuse to get a new gun. I usually use an old glenfield model 60, im just having a hard time finding 22 ammo and see 17 ammo everywhere

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    I only use .22 CB Shorts. While I go for head shots if I hit body I know for a fact it destroys the least amount of meat over anything else I've tried (.17, 22LR, Mini mags). I'll grab a .410 but I hate picking shot out of meat so not something I do on the regular.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Is anybody else going to try and get a few squirrels before its over? Can anybody recommend there favorite 22 lr hunting load? I have a hard time finding any 22 rounds anywhere

Winchester 42 grain subsonic hp's. Good accuracy, giant hp. I'll be in Brown County next w/e. You want I should bring you a box? $7/50. Meet you at CVS on 135 @ Whiteland rd. Don't know when I'll be through though.;-)

The-Last-Round

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Brazil

I bought a 22 air rifle because I can't find ammo. I have some Winchester silver box but it doesn't do well out of my gun.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I may be able to meet you patience, I appreciate the offer. Im leaving for Arkansas this week for a duck hunt then going to look at rifles. What about a 17 mach 2, ive never shot one before and really dont know much about them

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    .17 mach 2 is death on small game! I don't think it destroys much meat either BUT finding ammo is a pain. They didn't catch on like the 17 hmr so no one carries it. If you buy one go on the internet and buy a case of boolits it will last a lifetime for a hunting rifle. Will make it easier to resell 5 years down the road also.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I haven't made my mind up on what to get yet, I know im getting a 17 wsm just for fun and may try more hunting with it. I might just get the mach 2 and hmr also just for the heck of it

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have 4 mach 2's currently. Wicked squirrel round. Headshots only, plz. Last 2 coyotes I killed were with the mach2.

Gonna be gutting the safe of most of my rimfires soon. Some excellent rifles will be on the block..

Top Bottom