• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I am thinking about trying out squirrel hunting for the first time this year. I have a couple people I know who own some property and are willing to let me take care of their "nuisance" squirrel's, they are getting into their garden. I was wondering if somebody could tell me the law about hunting squirrel on private property out of season. I am assuming I would still need a permit but would it be ok to wipe out some of these critters any time of year? Also have the same question regarding rabbits. I looked on the DNR site and could not find this question specifically addressed.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I read though this: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-upland_smallgame_guide.pdf

I couldnt find your answer though. It doesnt mention anything about out-of-season, but if they're being a nuisance to the land owner I would think it to be ok to remove them. Its probably something you would want to contact the DNR on. Here's their number: 317-232-4200. They may be able to give you answer if you call them.

Hope it helps.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    off your property,to take them out of season you need a wildlife control permit.
    I think you can only kill them.. no harvesting..

May have to turn them over to the C/O. Seems sill to waste them. State's property. State rules.

Rabbits in the beans? Squirrels eating the seeds you planted? You're feeding them but you can't eat them til August 15 on the Squirrels and later in the year on the rabbits.:rolleyes:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I would rather not shoot them if I just had to let them rot or turn them over to be trashed. If it is ok for me to shoot them it should be ok for me to do whatever I want with them. I was hoping it may be like coyote's and if they are being a nuisance you can kill them and do with as you please.

Just to make sure I was clear it is not my property. I know an elderly couple who have been having a problem with them. They used to shoot them on a regular basis but cannot see well enough anymore. They own about 20 acres that backs to a river and have a lot of squirrel.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    From DNR: Do I need a permit?

Raccoons, skunks, opossums, beavers, muskrats, red foxes, gray foxes, mink, long-tailed weasels, gray squirrels and fox squirrels

A resident landowner or tenant can legally capture these species of wild animals without a permit if the animal is discovered damaging their own property and the animal is on the property that he/she owns or rents. The landowner or tenant who takes the animal must release it on land in the county where it was captured only with permission of the landowner or property manager or euthanize the animal within 24 hours of capture. These nuisance animals cannot be possessed for more than 24 hours and cannot be sold, traded, bartered or gifted.

Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    From DNR: Do I need a permit?

Raccoons, skunks, opossums, beavers, muskrats, red foxes, gray foxes, mink, long-tailed weasels, gray squirrels and fox squirrels
    A resident landowner or tenant can legally capture these species of wild animals without a permit if the animal is discovered damaging their own property and the animal is on the property that he/she owns or rents. The landowner or tenant who takes the animal must release it on land in the county where it was captured only with permission of the landowner or property manager or euthanize the animal within 24 hours of capture. These nuisance animals cannot be possessed for more than 24 hours and cannot be sold, traded, bartered or gifted.
    Hmmm! Don't say you can't eat them.:twocents:

Top Bottom