• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    First I didn't cut deep enough or enough I think. Once I cut a little more I got it to peel up but it was still tough. To get the bottom part off I really had to get my fingers in there.

There is a learning curve to keeping your meat hair free and getting the cuts right, even with the good videos. A few more in the fridge and you'll be doing your own squirrel cleaning vids. :)

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    If I figure out a trick I will definitely make a video. My wife just found something that said to "burn off any hair that is sticking" use a lighter? A torch? Rinse more? Any tips on getting the rest of the hair off?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Before I got decent at it, I used a tweezers. But I have a thing about hair. Id puke trying to eat it just knowing about it. Even if I couldn't see it. It's a very tedious job though.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If I figure out a trick I will definitely make a video. My wife just found something that said to "burn off any hair that is sticking" use a lighter? A torch? Rinse more? Any tips on getting the rest of the hair off?

That might work. You can scrub and scrub and scrub and it won't come off. And you will find it with the first bite you take.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    5. Are CCI Quiet 22's enough to bring down a squirrel? Or should I step up to the subs or standards? The quiet will, or at least in my experience, bounce off of a raccoons face. I want to make sure I take down the tree rats.

O yeah I take down rabbits and squirrels all day with CCI quiets! Head shots obviously ideal. I prefer to use minimags or stingers if I'm going to be shooting any real distance though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I've used a propane torch on deer to burn off the hair, never tried it on squirrel.
    As far as eating, a little hair is digestible if you can get by the idea of it.

As far as cleaning, take your time and pay attention to what leaves hair and doesn't. Any cuts to the hide and fur will release hair. Loose hair will stick to your hands and easily transfer back to the meat where it's difficult to remove. This is where the gloves shine, hair rinses right off. Again, after a few more squirrels this will all be second nature.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    SO...the next logical question is...how did you cook it? And...did you like it?

My 8 year old daughter thinks squirrel meat is a real treat, and she's been on me to go out and get a few now that season is open.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Soak it in salt water for a few days. Change the water daily. Rinse the squirell when you change the water. If you have finger nails (or the the wife) use them to scrape some of the hair off.

with the age/size of that one I would recommend boiling for hours or pressure cooking first. After that you can cook it any way you like. It will make it a little more tender.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I like to cook mine in the crock pot. You can shake the meat right off the bones when it's done. Add some bbq sauce and eat it on a bun. Just be sure to cut the ribs out before hand or they'll fall out and you'll never get them all out. Be careful for the little back bones too.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    +1 on the soaking. Soaking in salt water or milk and slow cooking or long boiling.

Last year I made a squirrel pot pie from scratch. It was great! Soaked the squirrels (3-5 of em) in the fridge in salt water. Boiled for a couple hours in a large stock pot with poultry seasonings. Shredded the meat off the bones and added to the gravy and vegetable mix I had going.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Might have to do the crock pot BBQ this year. I usually just debone and pan fry it. You can usually get 6-8 nice little "nuggets" of meat that are really yummy with some basic flour breading.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like to cook mine in the crock pot. You can shake the meat right off the bones when it's done. Add some bbq sauce and eat it on a bun. Just be sure to cut the ribs out before hand or they'll fall out and you'll never get them all out. Be careful for the little back bones too.

I do the crock pot thing too. When the meat comes off the bones get them out of there and the meat back in. In my case, I toss in egg noodles and make squirrel and noodles. Yum.

Pan fried squirrel is great, especially with gravy, but they are always a roll of the dice on how tough they might be. I've gotten to just pretty much erring on the side of squirrel and noodles every time.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    5. Are CCI Quiet 22's enough to bring down a squirrel? Or should I step up to the subs or standards? The quiet will, or at least in my experience, bounce off of a raccoons face. I want to make sure I take down the tree rats.

Subsonic hollow points until the leaves are off. RWS HVHP or .17hm2 after the leaves fall. CCI quiets will kill 'em but I much prefer the S/S stuff. SK or Eley are my favorites.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    1. Depending on where you hit the squirrel, I would say about 6 hrs before I would be hesitant on keeping one. I've skinned some that have been out in the sun for that long in a boat. Some squirrels smell worse than others depending on what they are eating i.e, soybeans.

2. Plenty of good videos on youtube and many different ways will do the trick. IMO 2 people can without a doubt clean them faster than 1. Hold the back legs up right, cut between the butt and tail, strip down an inch or two. Next make a cut along the ribcage only cutting the skin and not into the guts. After that just start pulling the tail end and the back legs and it should come undone. Peel the hide off the back and front legs and make a bone breaking cut on all four legs and the neck. Next just cut the genitals right between the legs and splice the skin down the stomach. Finally cut the ribs and pull the guts out all at once. Pretty simple once you get the hang of it. I like using a bench vise when I'm alone.

3. Once gutted and washed throuroughly a few times they can sit in the fridge for ~10 days. Periodically change the water if possible. Just like any other meat you can definitely freeze it.

4. I wouldn't advise saving the skin, but you can definitely save the tail for a certain period of time. I once knew a kid that saved every squirrel tail he could get a hold of. The tail itself was worth about 15cents to make a fly for fishing. He kept them in the freezer in a ziploc bag as they kept better that way.

5. I believe that those bullets would be plenty to take down a squirrel. Pellet guns bring them down so surely those could even though I have never used them personally. The best ammo that I have used is the 40 gr RN CCI mini mags. They shoot consistently and have ample knock down power.

Hopefully this can be of some help.

OK. If it takes 2 of you to clean squirrels you are doing it wrong. I can teach you to peel a squirrel in less than 45 seconds with one knife cut, and a pair of good kitchen shears will have them gutted and in 5 pieces in another 30 seconds.

I never keep them in the fridge over 2 days. Freeze them in a ziploc with water and a little salt. Squeeze the air out. No freezer burn that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcwuLF8fkMY

Top Bottom