• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Plan on poppin a few this year with the suppressed bolt action .22LR but I'll wait til its cooler. Let the skeeters calm down a bit and let the warbles get out of the squirrels.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Warbles, like marbles?? , seriously though i was taught that to go after the first frost.. did anyway as a kid. But a old timer said that a parasite lived in them and the meat would taste funny if you took one before the frost... any thoughts??
    I have tons running around and the pineys were in my garage and chicken coop.. WERE...... When they would run around my wife and play some kind of game where they liked to hear here scream..then they had to go. You could almost touch them and they would run around squeaking.. I thought it was amusing. Wife did not. I think they died from lead poisoning.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Tippecanoe County
    But a old timer said that a parasite lived in them and the meat would taste funny if you took one before the frost... any thoughts??

I've heard the same thing about rabbits, and I think its all a bunch of BS. If cold killed the "parasite" the animal would have to be dead and frozen. I think that all got started by someone who didn't take care of their animal after they shot it and got sick -- and were too dumb or ignorant to take the blame themselves.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My experience with warbles is that they did not get into the meat, living between the skin and meat. Not a pleasant thing to see while skinning, but not worth discarding the kill for.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I supposed to have a friend and his grandson coming over and they are using HI powered pellet rifles, I dont get a chance to hunt out there but others have:
    We moved into our place not long ago and the first year there I had to run a group of guys out that were squirrel hunting with dogs and I heard shots and they had walked about a quarter mile around the back side of our property to get in without being seen.. first time dealing with trespassers and hopefully the last. Anyone else had similar issues??

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I'm ready to get out this year. Only hunted a hand full if times last year but this year I have vacation starting Saturday.

I've always started early in the season and I've never noticed the meat tasting differently.

On a side note, I've been looking into some high powered pellet rifles. Think I may enjoy that challenge!

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Anybody hunt across the river from FS trail the check in station is just off of 500 N. (mississenewa lake)? I might shoot up there tonight to check it out and then hunt there in the am if i see anything. Also is there anything against carrying two guns? I didn't see anything. I am thinking about carrying a .22 slung and a shot gun in my hands.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Anybody hunt across the river from FS trail the check in station is just off of 500 N. (mississenewa lake)? I might shoot up there tonight to check it out and then hunt there in the am if i see anything. Also is there anything against carrying two guns? I didn't see anything. I am thinking about carrying a .22 slung and a shot gun in my hands.

Nope, two guns are fine as long as they are legal for the season or is a personal protection handgun.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Cool i might carry a .22 for the longer shots and a shotgun for the medium stuff. Hopefully i can go in the am but nobody wants to cooperate when it comes to vehicles so not sure if it will work out.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Anybody get anything? I didn't get to go this morning. If i go anywhere tonight I'm gonna take the field barrel shotgun instead of the 20" just in case i can sneak off into the woods.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'm waiting til my boy gets out of school to head out. I'm going to our deer location to do some scouting. Also going to sit in the stand and pretend to deer hunt. That means I'm guaranteed to see squirrel at least :)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Got one this morning, saw lots more including one that nearly crawled onto my lap by accident. I guess I was sitting a little too still lol. Didn't get many shots with a rifle, could have bagged a few more with a shotgun. There was just too much cover and they were moving around instead of sitting and cutting.

The most exciting thing was happening upon two eastern box turtles getting freaky in the woods, snapped a pic too... :wrongdoor: :shady:

Top Bottom