• patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Mach 2

Looking to get a squirrel gun for christmas. yeah kinda late....i know...i know. Anyhow what are your guys and gals thoughts. .17 or .22
    .17 HM2 if you can find one. .22lr will do the job, tho. Mach 2 just lets you reach out with a little more confidence and no hold over out to about 90 yds when the leaves are off. Fewer crawl offs with the Mach 2 as well.
    Whittakers Gunshop down in KY is s'posed to be getting some CZ 452 americans in HM2 in January.

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    no much need for a tactical 22 that have become popular other than its weights less. top three in order would be a 10/22 with steel trigger, marlin 917, then a remigiton or mossberg. the 10/22 are practically ready to go right out the box. I use 32grain high velocity type bullet

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Take a look on rimfire central, I've read a few stories of 17 HMR not leaving any squirrel left after a good hit; now it's what I've read on the interwebs, so I'm sure it was embellished, but if it is to be the primary purpose I'd think it's work investigating. I'm building my 10/22 and I'd like to eventually take it squirrel hunting, but that will by no means be it's primary role.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    the 10/22 are practically ready to go right out the box.

OMG!!:laugh: You didn't really just say that, did you? :bash: :ugh:

Unless you're planning on :spend: for improvements there are a lot of better options for someone looking to hunt squirrels successfully.

I own several 10/22's and I'd never handicap a beginner with one right off the bat. The plastic trigger group ones will never darken my doorstep again. Even the rcvr was crap on that one.:xmad:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    .22 air rifle. It won't scare away the other targets. Otherwise, a 10/22.

Most of the time a .17 hm2 won't scare away the other targets if you sit still and don't go chasin the one you knocked out of the tree. And if you hit him in the head with the mach 2 there will be no need to chase him. Pellet gun gives much less room for error in shot placement. I'd take boiler room shots with a pellet rifle. Little bigger vital area to hit. I'd have to be supremely confident in my presented shot and my equipment to hunt eith a pellet rifle. They'll do the job but you need to be better/ more selective on shots you will and won't take. If you're off by a little with the .17 you'll probably still kill the squirrel. Same goes for HV/HP .22 lr ammo. Causes enough shock and damage to keep 'em on the ground.

GM_Geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    My fav is a 10/22. Rebarreled with a GM heavy sportster $75. A few other mods cheap to free and I can pick which eye to put the shot in. Check out rimfirecentral. Those guys can get a ruger running.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've killed them with both the .17 HMR and .22, but opt for the tried and true .22. I usually use my 20 yr. old marlin 60, and have never had a problem. This one is on my shortlist, though! CZ 452 FS
    1d2b02c39472a92afd9cd108111bf13a.png

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    OMG!!:laugh: You didn't really just say that, did you? :bash: :ugh:

Unless you're planning on :spend: for improvements there are a lot of better options for someone looking to hunt squirrels successfully.

I own several 10/22's and I'd never handicap a beginner with one right off the bat. The plastic trigger group ones will never darken my doorstep again. Even the rcvr was crap on that one.:xmad:

that is why i said the one with steel triggers.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Always liked the savage bolt .22 like mkII and such in 17 they will reach out and touch a bushy tail if you are a good shot because as stated head shots only or junked a good meal.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    You guys really like to complicate things. I've killed many squirrels with a simple Marlin Model 60 .22lr.

Just about any .22 with a scope will kill a squirrel.

Top Bottom