• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Can any INGO'ers direct me to a breeder in Indiana/Kentucky of Feist Dogs or another breed of Squirrel dog? I have never owned a squirrel dog before. I have had a few pointers in my day but this will be my first foray into treeing dogs...The older I get the more I am getting into the things I enjoyed as a young man and squirrel hunting is one of those things. If I can get a good family pet along with a hunting companion I would be a happy man.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I get flamed all the time for recommending JRT's, but they have a nose on them for finding, and treeing squirrels if not already there. I get my daily limit with one dog, all the time every time and he's a traveling fool. Loves to ride in the truck and the sweetest house companion a man can have, albeit feisty and full of energy.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I get flamed all the time for recommending JRT's, but they have a nose on them for finding, and treeing squirrels if not already there. I get my daily limit with one dog, all the time every time and he's a traveling fool.

I have heard of many folks using JRT's for squirrels...I would have thought squirrel hunting would be devoid of dog snobs but I would be wrong..To me a Feist looks like a JRT and I can not imagine there being that much a difference genetically but as I said I am new to looking for a squirrel dog. Thanks for your speedy reply...

gcoop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Another possibility would be a Mountain Cur breed. From what I have read and witnessed they are very good hunting dogs and great pets for the home.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Um, I hate to tell you this, but you can't breed dogs with squirrels. It just wont work, so PLEASE don't try it.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    7-si-with-new-dog.jpg

(purple implied)

bowhunter1984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    greenfield
    Another possibility would be a Mountain Cur breed. From what I have read and witnessed they are very good hunting dogs and great pets for the home.

Yes they are..also they can be trained to hunt squirrels during the day and raccoons at night very good kids and easy to train all around great dogs

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I have a mountain Cur. Best hunting do I have ever owned. He works great to fetch doves to. I originally bought him for coyotes and he is a very good decoy dog.
    The only real American dog. Once used by the Indians. Has no quirks like Black Labs do.

roy.jpg

Last edited:

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I don't know how much squirrel dog breeding this guy still does, but I've hunted over his dogs before and was very impressed. I'm sure he could at least point you in the right direction, if he doesn't have in any pups right now. He runs a mountain cur I believe.

Jim Heasley
    Marion, IN

Heasley's Keystone Beagles

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    JRT hands down my favorite. Just understand that true Jacks are NOT the pet store pudding dogs people often see, get a hunting bred one from real using stock and never look back.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you want smaller dogs the fiest breeds are excellent tree rat dogs. Like the JRT or the Rat Terrier they are really stubborn a d need a real good training routine. Even shorter legged is the type b rat terrier or teddy Roosevelt terrier. More likely to stay and hunt close to the handler and like a Bassett hound nose is at ground level and eyes still in front. I prefer the smaller sized teddies as the woods that I hunt seem to be getting smaller over time.

Nothing at all wrong with any of the others mentioned. I hunted twice behind a teddy named pilot from Indiana and he was one fine teddy tree ratting machine. He was a taller teddy About 22 inches high.

All terriers can be rather one family/ one person dogs. Good guards dogs they are. They can have a stubborn streak and can be very owner protective if not well trained.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It took a while and I have no pics to post but.......I do have little Bella (or as my brother called her when he posted this on youtube for me "Belle") clip of her in action in the backyard going after a squirrel.....This is my first time training one and she has the passion and come August we will know more....Thanks to INGO for your interest in my little cur and all of your alls suggestions....So without further adieu here is my 30 lb wonder dawg.....

[video=youtube;nipMlyz9YMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nipMlyz9YMw[/video]

Video was from my cell phone so please excuse the lack of hi def but trust me when I say she is beautiful....:):

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nice. Have you seen the tubes that allow the dog to chase the tree rat around. Looks like he wants that rat bad.

love the blue tick coloring.

Thanks, She was the only one of the litter that had the 'ticking" and she looks like a James Bond villian turned his "incredible shrinking ray" on a full size Bluetick Coon dog andd shrunk her to half the size but kept the attitude...Here is a pic of her granddad and a link about his background.....

The Ultimate Squirrel Dog Club Registry

Tobias

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I have two Feist. Fun little dogs. My little female is out of the Boggs Creek bloodline and my male is out of Jason Harris' kennel (Good time mountain Feist). I have hunted with a lot of really good Curs but I personally like Feist better. But then again......as long as they will put a squirrel up a tree who cares what they are!

Tobias

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    It took a while and I have no pics to post but.......I do have little Bella (or as my brother called her when he posted this on youtube for me "Belle") clip of her in action in the backyard going after a squirrel.....This is my first time training one and she has the passion and come August we will know more....Thanks to INGO for your interest in my little cur and all of your alls suggestions....So without further adieu here is my 30 lb wonder dawg.....

[video=youtube;nipMlyz9YMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nipMlyz9YMw[/video]

Video was from my cell phone so please excuse the lack of hi def but trust me when I say she is beautiful....:):

Lookin good!!! It's gonna be a fun fall for you guys!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom