• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan Wilson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Monterey
    Well I went to the range the other day and was running my 1911 and "pop" I experienced a squib load (for the uninitiated, a cartridge that didn't get any powder loaded, just primer) and the bullet lodged in the barrel.
    My big concern with this is, this pistol is my primary carry gun, what would happen if that occurred when I needed to use my pistol? Well I, my wife, innocent bystander or whoever would be totally screwed.
    The ammo was Magtech that is a couple years old, anybody else have this problem with Magtech?

This whole thing brought on headaches beyond the one squib load, now I cant trusts ANY store bought ammo and currently I am not set up to reload 45acp. The resolution (until I get set up to reload) is to weigh all the ammo that gets loaded, that way I am assured that each cartridge has a powder charge.

I am going to drop MagTech a line and see what they have to say about it.

100_9207.jpg

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I've never had a problem with Magtech ammunition but, squibs do happen.

Ditto to the comment about Magtech ammo but it's a great reminder for everyone that if you sense something isn't right check your equipment before continuing. Many people think if it's "factory" ammo nothing can possibly go wrong and although it's rare it DOES happen.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I run magtech at times with no issues. I have had this happen with Federal once.

Never use ball round for your EDC. I run Hornady TAP or equivalent for the extra power.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    If the bullet made it to the end of the barrel there must have been some powder. I don't think a primer only would push it that far. You might want to weigh your ammo on a reloading scale, that will indicate any "Light" loads.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, definitely contact MagTech.

Hopefully you still have the packaging the ammo came in. Be prepared to give them the Lot # that's probably printed on one of the open/close flaps on the cardboard box.

Go through your entire stores of MagTech to locate all from the same lot #.

Chances are good that they'll pay shipping to have it returned to them. And you'll probably get the same amount of ammo in return for your inconvenience.

-J-

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Knock on wood but I've ran a lot of MagTech and never had a issue. I'm pretty sure that in shooting its a chance you take whether you do your reloading or not. Crap happens.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    That squib can be knocked out with a dowel rod approx the same size as the inside diameter of your barrel without fear of damage to the lands and grooves of your rifling. A brass rod works best but not as easy to find. Brownell's sells some specialty sqib rods and they are beyond a life saver.
    Yes,higher pressure chambers can result when firing a round behind that squib and cause unintentional damage to you,your surroundings and potentially cause irrepairable harm to your weapon.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Experience

I have fired somewhere around 250 rounds of Magtech 380 in my Bersa.
    I have had no issues. It is not a dirty round, but neither is it the cleanest I
    have ever used.
    Accuracy, about on par with most other econo brands.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Over the past couple of years, I have seen a half a dozen or so squibs from Magtech ammo, about the same number from ammo in the blue plastic boxes from the gun shows, and none that I can remember from any commercial manufacturers.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I haven't had the pleasure of shooting a squib load, and honestly it has me a bit freaked out. I don't feel that I'd be able to respond fast enough unless I know exactly what I'm expecting. I guess I could get a scale and weight everything before I shoot it until I could buy reloading equipment and load my own squib to get the feel. Sounds like a logical approach?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    That squib can be knocked out with a dowel rod approx the same size as the inside diameter of your barrel without fear of damage to the lands and grooves of your rifling. A brass rod works best but not as easy to find. Brownell's sells some specialty sqib rods and they are beyond a life saver.

Brass rods are easier to get than most people think. Just look up a small new steel or metal supply shop and give them a call. Most small metal sales shops carry brass rod of various sizes, and will sell you any length you want by the pound, which is way less than Brownell's sells them for. I have a set of 5 diameters from .15 up to .43 in both 6" and 12" that I have right at $25 in

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have had one squib each with Remington and Winchester factory ammo. If you take into consideration how many rounds I have purchased since 1976, that is a really good figure. I have had exactly two primers fail to light on my own reloads. One in a .38 and one in a shotshell. (I have had some too lightly loaded WIN 296 loads squib, but that was my fault for experimenting too far south of the factory data) My experience is not perfect but pretty close to it. I only buy American Made primers, mostly CCI and Winchester, so it is not like they were bargain basement junk. Of course a squib when you really, really need it would really be a bad thing. All you can do is do your best. Sometimes things are just stacked against you. You will never rule out EVERYTHING that can go wrong. You just have to stack the odds and trust that your maker will give you the grace when you need it.

Dan Wilson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Monterey
    The pistol is a bone stock plain jane 1911, the reason I use ball ammo is they are notoriously finicky about using anything else.

Got the bullet out easy enough with a brass drift and a couple of good whacks.

Yes a primer alone will drive the bullet that far, the problem comes when it happens in a rifle and you have to try and drive it out of a 24 inch barrel.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    ive never had a factory squib load, but i have loaded my own, ive had a winchester 9mm that didnt have a flash hole in the case, i still shoot winchester, and ill still shoot magtech, hopefully i dont see that in the magtechs ive already bought

Top Bottom