• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I got one about a year ago & love it. I am very skilled @ turning a very sharp knife into a butter knife, but I can actually get a good edge using this thing!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    The Sharpmaker with the Ceramic/aluminum whatever they are rods appear to sharpen the D2 steel on my knives..... but slowly. This is going to take a while.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    The Sharpmaker with the Ceramic/aluminum whatever they are rods appear to sharpen the D2 steel on my knives..... but slowly. This is going to take a while.

Try using the Razoredge system or similar medium/coarseer stones for the initial first step then finish up with the sharpmaker using the 30 setting.

If you do alot of reshaping order the extra 204d and then 204uf1 stones for the spyderco sharpmaker and get a wicked sharp shaver,

Personally I like to have a decent edge with the first half or so razor sharp and the back half more of a service 40 degree(longer lasting) but still sharp edge.

The Sharpmaker is a really great setup for us beginners:baby: lol

The great thing is if you dont get it right the first time the spyderco wont trash your blade while you learn.

Also make sure you rough up your stones against each other like the directions tell you. It makes a big difference IMHO in the results of your first attempts.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Does anyone use the Sharpmaker on kitchen knives?

My wife wants to send our kitchen knives out to get sharpened at Williams-Sonoma, but I could use that money on a Sharpmaker and then some!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Does anyone use the Sharpmaker on kitchen knives?

My wife wants to send our kitchen knives out to get sharpened at Williams-Sonoma, but I could use that money on a Sharpmaker and then some!

yeah you can do them on the sharpmaker. I'm curious, how much does WS charge?

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    yeah you can do them on the sharpmaker. I'm curious, how much does WS charge?

I think a sales person told me $25/blade about a year ago. Plus, they send them away for about a week. There is something unsettling about $500 worth of Henckels being in someone else's hands for that long.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I think a sales person told me $25/blade about a year ago. Plus, they send them away for about a week. There is something unsettling about $500 worth of Henckels being in someone else's hands for that long.

I'm a hell of a lot cheaper than that! wow I didn't know they were ripping people off like that, or I'm not charging enough.($1 per inch of blade)

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    I'm a hell of a lot cheaper than that! wow I didn't know they were ripping people off like that, or I'm not charging enough.($1 per inch of blade)

Yeh, I don't know about the flat rate per blade... 3" pruning knife costs the same as 8" chefs knife.......

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought mine years ago and I love it. I bought the diamond sticks for sharpening a D2 steel knife and it worked great. Best money I ever spent on a sharpener.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    How many blades would you say the stones are good for? Has anyone worn out a set of stones yet?

AND, has anyone seen the Sharpmaker anywhere cheaper than the $54 that Amazon has it for?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    My hones look like the day I got them, and I've sharpened on them several hundred times. It is an old school 203 Sharpmaker. I do use the diamond hones on hard alloy steel, but I still run them on the ceramic ones as well.

I think a guy would have to make a job of sharpening knives to wear them out.

Top Bottom