• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikeh53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012

Dehydrated spuds

Hi group, I gota great buy on potato’s the other day on a roadside stand… bought 200 lb.

I went online and looked for how to dehydrate potatoesand then gave some of the info a try. Several worked… sorta…

What I found worked best for me so far was…

Oil the potatoes good with oil, and bake till almost soft… pealing is easy once potatoes are baked.

I tried cutting the baked potatoes in small pieces… andputting in our Excalibur… beingpre-cooked they spuds dry FAST! The onlyproblem was… it takes a long time to rehydrate the pieces.

Then I tried mashing up the potatoes by hand (sortalike a chunky mashed potato) and spreading on the trays and dehydrating… workedmuch better, not as long to re-hydrate…(water and butter in a bowl with spuds and 3 min in the MW.

Tasted great like fresh baked potato’s !

Still… it took too long to rehydrated. And the pieces take up a lot of room… tostore.

Then I took some of the pieces from the first two experimentsand placed um about a cup at a time in my wife’s Vita Mix blinder… and whipped up a coursepowder… (about 10 Sec burst)

Success!

2 tbs of the potato Powder

2 Tbs Hamburger rocks

2 TBS dehydrated frozen Vegiies…

1 ½ cups water

A dollop of butter

Microwaved for 1 Min, let set for 5 min in theMicrowave , microwaved another quick min.

I had a BIG Bowlof completely rehydrated (not sure what to call it) food. Was not soupy and tasted great (I added salt and pepper and of course ground chilipepper) and was a more than filling lunch for a big guy! Me.

You could use this potato powder in a lot of ways! Just sayin

Umm did I mention I bought 200 lb? My wife was NOT happy with me! :rolleyes: I have a lotof spuds to go!... will take days to do most of them up!
    but with the other stuff... we will not go hungry!

mikeh53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    As long as you have power you will be good.

After reading your post... I tried just adding h20. and have to admit... Ilike it hot better than cold but... the entire list of items reconstituted justfine,

my home wood stove (In the winter we heat with wood), camp stove, alcohol burner in myBOB, or a camp fire, would take care of heating or I could eat them cold…all still taist good and are nurishing

Remember the spuds, veggies, and hamburger rocks are all cooked already.

I understand the ideal would be to just buy some of those pre-made #10 cansof emergency food from one of the suppliers… but I doubt that they would tastebetter or last longer than my Mylar packed home made provisions… Besides… I amhaving fun experimenting…

Mike

Top Bottom