• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Im considering this as my first purchase but I have 2 concerns.

1) this whole recall thing worries me. I realize it wasnt this particular model but Ive been reading some horror stories about having the repairs completed. bad customer service or what?
    2) the grip safety. has anyone that ever fired this weapon had difficulty with this? if Im being attacked and in panic mode will I not be able to fire this thing? is it difficult to compress? how much leeway do I have of being off?

am I worrying needlessly over these issues?

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I have had mine for over three years, 4-5000 rounds and I have had zereo issues.

Great platform, no worries.

I trust it enough to have it as my bedsise gun with a TLR-3 mounted on it and some TruGlo night sights, with 155grn Gold Dots.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Great gun, no issues. Springfield CS is normally great until this recall issue....which I have no doubt was run by the lawyers and trying to CYA.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I had a problem with the machining finish on the inside of the slide. sent it in and they fixed it in 3 days. they paid Fedex 2-day shipping for both ways. I'd buy it again.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    No worries about the grip safety, that technology has been around for over 100 years. It is naturally depressed when you hold the pistol and doesn't require any effort over and above what you would exert to control the gun itself.

XD's and XDm's are fine platforms. I have an XD9 Compact and an XDm 40 full size. Both are great guns with many, many rounds down range. The 40 is on my nightstand and the 9 is either on my wife's, in her purse, or on her person.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I have the .40 XDm in the 4.5" version and it has been flawless for me ever since I bought it. No hiccups, no problems, just a lot of lead downrange. Nicely accurate and almost boring in its reliability (which is a good thing in this case!). Great pistol

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    Same here , have teh 4.5" as well and its a tack driver , no issues wtih any ammo I have put in it. Its my bedside gun. Lots of ways to make it better as well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Tippecanoe County
    Mine (XDm 3.8 .40) has been flawless. It has also happily fired any of the numerous brands of ammo I've run through it, and several others who have shot it commented on how much more easily/naturally they hit their target when shooting it.

Great firearm, I'm very pleased with my decision.

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Excellent! Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear this. Hoping to get one in my hand so I can see what it feels like, soon. Having a hard time finding one, even online.

could you guys list:
    -the range ammo and carry ammo that you use?
    -carry holsters? looking for the "hip" kind. (lol) I know that cant be what theyre called
    -sites
    -triggers

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    I have had mine for over three years, 4-5000 rounds and I have had zereo issues.

Great platform, no worries.

I trust it enough to have it as my bedsise gun with a TLR-3 mounted on it and some TruGlo night sights, with 155grn Gold Dots.

can you elaborate on a few things..
    -the 155 grn...have you tried others? why have you settled on this? is this for range ammo or protection ammo or both? thank you!
    -i assume a gunsmith would have to install the sites?

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Excellent! Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear this. Hoping to get one in my hand so I can see what it feels like, soon. Having a hard time finding one, even online.

could you guys list:
    -carry holsters? looking for the "hip" kind. (lol) I know that cant be what theyre called
    -sites
    -triggers

Mine's a 45 but the answers all still apply:
    - I reload, so I use my own stuff for range ammo. 230gr truncated cone bullets. Carry ammo is currently Winchester SXZ.
    - Crossbreed Supertuck (horsehide) and a Crossbreed belt.
    - TruGlo TFO sights, green/yellow
    - stock trigger

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Mine's a 45 but the answers all still apply:
    - I reload, so I use my own stuff for range ammo. 230gr truncated cone bullets. Carry ammo is currently Winchester SXZ.
    - Crossbreed Supertuck (horsehide) and a Crossbreed belt.
    - TruGlo TFO sights, green/yellow
    - stock trigger

thanks!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

could you guys list:
    -sites
    -triggers

can you elaborate on a few things..
    -the 155 grn...have you tried others? why have you settled on this? is this for range ammo or protection ammo or both? thank you!
    -i assume a gunsmith would have to install the sites?

I know you are very new to all this BlkBrd, so its kind of like drinking from the fire hose.
    The xxx gr statement refer to the projectile weight, the round or cartridge consists of the brass/steel case, the powder, primer and the bullet (or boolit) Most folks shoot Full metal Jacket (FMJ), rounds for practice, they are generally cheaper, but use Jacketed Hollow Points (JHP) for their self defense ammo (more potential for a stopping wound and less potential for a through and through shot I injuring others) However, you should always try different brands and weights to see what shoots accurately and cycles the pistols action (loading and ejecting) This will vary a little from firearm to firearm.
    The XDs, Glocks, M&Ps, etc (most of the modern pistols) were all designed with commoly used ammunition in mind, so you won't have much of a problem with any of the major brands.
    9mm is less expensive than .40 which is marginally cheaper than .45 so if you are looking to have something you are going to shoot a lot to begin with and are budget minded, 9mm is probably your best option. Plus, IIRC in your intro, you were interested in something your spouse would enjoy also. If she hasn't been exposed to shooting handguns, the 9mm is also a great place to start.

As far as sights/trigger and other mods go, again the pistols above will be more than adequate for you as a beginner. I usually caution against mods until someone learns and becomes proficient in the basics. All the bells and whistles won't make someone magically a good shot if they can't master the basics.

YMMV as I'm no 'expert', just a guy with a little experience trying to lend a hand.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Tippecanoe County
    I shoot whatever inexpensive 180gr FMJ ammo I can find for target practice. The rest of the time my firearm is loaded with 180gr Federal HST. I generally carry using a Crossbreed Supertuck (combat cut), but occasionally wear a cheap shoulder rig for my more outdoorsy endeavors. I still shoot the stock sights, but will eventually upgrade to the TruGlo TFO sights and I have already installed a Powder River Precision drop in trigger.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom