• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dominicandemon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I am new to handguns and I decided to go with the XD series from Springfield.

After a lot of research, mainly just reading forums, I decided to get the XDm 3.8", but then I went to a gun shop and saw a 3" XD and almost changed my mind.

Price for XD9 "3 inch is $489 vs XDm 3.8" $599. Is is worth the difference?
    I don't want to carry initially, but I would in the future and that is why I liked the smaller XD.

Also, after I get my 15th post I will be looking at the marketplace.

Thanks for any input.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I really have no dog in the 9mm fight. Nor have I done more then held the 9mms. If it were the 40 I would justify based on 9 rounds XD and 11 XDM.

If you carry with the sub compact magazine, I don't see much difference. However, if you ever want to use it as a full size grip. Say when you KNOW you are going to the bad part of town. 19+1 is more then 16+1.

Also a little more barrel never hurts accuracy. Being realistic, I'm sure you won't be in a defensive gun fight past 10 yards, so It may be a moot point.

I am not a professional handgun fighter and these are just my opinions. I feel like you can't go wrong with either you choose.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have the XD40 subcompact and love it. I often say that if someone breaks into my house I don't think they will care one way or the other with which gun they are shot. My point being get what you feel most comfortable.

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    I used to own the xd9sc it was a good gun,ran flawlessly/ but I fell in love with 1911's. From what I hear xdm has improved on some things the xd was lacking. I think it all depends on what you want to spend my xd was a great gun. I think there is an xd9sc for sale here in the marketplace.

qualitytym

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Porter County
    The XDM has a match grade barrel and will hold 19 round with large mag. I have full size in 9mm and the trigger pull is unmatched, shoots like butter. I would love to get a standard XD sub compact though. I believe ot would be more than fine for carry.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Comp, I just checked the specs on the XDm Compact, and you can get up to 19/16 rounds with the extension. I was not aware of that detail.

So, I am back to XDm. LOL.

Yeah. Most people carry it subcompact grip length and keeps the bigger full size mag in their pocket. Just some thing to think about. 20 rounds of 9mm without a reload is some hella fire power in my opinion and I'm not even a 9mm guy.

dominicandemon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I used to own the xd9sc it was a good gun,ran flawlessly/ but I fell in love with 1911's. From what I hear xdm has improved on some things the xd was lacking. I think it all depends on what you want to spend my xd was a great gun. I think there is an xd9sc for sale here in the marketplace.

Although I am new to handguns I have an older 1911 Para, but the sights are old school and .45s are expensive to shoot. I would keep it if I could cheaply upgrade the front sights.

That is the whole reason why I am looking at a bit more modern firearms like the XD/XDm.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Comp, I just checked the specs on the XDm Compact, and you can get up to 19/16 rounds with the extension. I was not aware of that detail.

So, I am back to XDm. LOL.

This is a wise choice. The extra barrel length won't effect how well the gun conceals but it will make it easier to shoot. The extra capacity is a plus but you really just want the most shootable gun that fits your intended purpose.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Don't worry OP. Some people don't follow their own rules about the QUALITY posting. I'm sure you'll get to 50 in no time.

:ingo:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I own an XD9 Sub Compact. I love mine. Picked it up at Plainfield Shooting Supplies at a great price too! You might need to consider a few options with the Sub Compact though.

I initially had a problem with the short clip not being long enough for my hand, so I went with the 16 round extended clip. Problem there was, it was difficult to conceal. I ended up getting a Pearce extension for my short clip and it fits my hand quite nicely. It helps maintain accuracy and concealment too.

There is this whole issue surrounding the velocity of the 9mm round too. I use the Hornady Critical Defense round for personal protection, but I use those in my S&W Mod 12 38 Spec as well as my wife's S&W 442. They are a very effective round for personal protection.

Hope this helps!

dominicandemon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Do gun shops let you haggle a price? I have called a few shops for pricing, two of them had almost identical pricing and 1 has $30 to $40 more.

So far the XDm pricing is about $600 for the XDM 9mm compact and XD9 is about $490.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Do gun shops let you haggle a price? I have called a few shops for pricing, two of them had almost identical pricing and 1 has $30 to $40 more.

So far the XDm pricing is about $600 for the XDM 9mm compact and XD9 is about $490.

You can usually haggle a bit, but those are pretty average prices you quoted. You would be getting a heck of a deal if you found them for much less than that.

sb6pak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    I just got a springfield xdm40 4.5 and love it. I had the chance to shoot a glock a sig and springfield xd and xdm. Before spending that much cash i wanted to make sure i got the gun that fit me and felt comfortable. And that was the xdm.

Top Bottom