• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    Don't let all the 9mm fanboys convince you that you should start with a 9mm if YOU really want a .40.
    As I read your original question it appeared you were trying to decide between makes not calibers.
    I've owned glocks, Springfield xdms, and only shot SW MPs. Glocks are by FAR my favorite.
    I would consider a gen4 glock 23 in.40, it's large enough for range fun and compact enough to carry it concealed if you wish.
    1. Glock
    2. SW MP
    3. Springfield

Hoosierhunter97

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Don't let all the 9mm fanboys convince you that you should start with a 9mm if YOU really want a .40.
    As I read your original question it appeared you were trying to decide between makes not calibers.
    I've owned glocks, Springfield xdms, and only shot SW MPs. Glocks are by FAR my favorite.
    I would consider a gen4 glock 23 in.40, it's large enough for range fun and compact enough to carry it concealed if you wish.
    1. Glock
    2. SW MP
    3. Springfield

Good point! My collection started with a Hi-Point JCP and I have since added the H&K USP. From what I see now, the price of 9mm has quickly caught up with the 40 S&W. At one dollar a box difference, IMO, you definitely go with the .40

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have a glock, a full size xd, and an xds. Never shot a S&W. any of them will treat you well though. I prefer the xd line, but that's just me. My glock shoots great too! I personally feel most comfortable carrying an xd. Go and try to handle anything that looks nice and see what fits well. Best of luck!

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    1. Glock
    2. SW MP
    3. Springfield

Great advice, a G23 gen 3 or 4 is a gREAT gun! Of course i would never feel quite complete without my G27.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Thanks guys this is all good info to keep in mind.

I was wondring if anyone had any comments on my idea of conversion barrels to shoot multiple calibers do many people do this or what are your thoughts?

It depends on the "conversion." Converting a Glock 40 to .357 is essentially zero risk. It's as reliable as any stock Glock.

Converting a 10mm to shoot 40 and such is also pretty low risk.

Those are the only conversions I'd consider trusting my life to.

Converting a 40 to shoot 9 is a little riskier, but commonly done.

Converting to shoot .22LR is also popular, but I think it's a bad idea.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

This^^. .40 is plenty shootable. No need to start with 9mm if you want the bigger cartridge anyway.

There are loadings for .40 available that are as soft-shooting as many 9mm loads, so I wouldn't choose a 9 due to recoil considerations, but that's just me.

And I'm old and have bad tendonitis in both arms.

Indycobalt19

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    For me personally i have shot both a m&p 40 fs and a g23 side by side and honestly every time i shoot the m&p it feels like it has the same amount of recoil as a 9 mm. Im not really sure why it might have to do with the grip or grip angle but for me i just love shooting my m&p 40 fs. As for the glock 23 it felt just a bit snappy, it shot great just a little bit snappy.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Honestly, all 3 are good makes of guns.
    First rule is find one that fits your hand, if its not comfy for you, then don't buy it.
    Second, know how the gun feels when you shoot it. I've fired 40's that shot like 9's because they fit my hand.
    Finally know what you want to use the gun for. Carry, home defense, both, or just plinking around with.

I personally like the XD line, over the M&P followed by Glock.

BOLTGUN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    NE INDY
    HD = 45 for me...but this topic and its answers will go on as long as time...

Id start reloading both asap so you can save on cost and actually have tbe ammo when you need it...

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    Since you live in Goshen I would recommend you get over to Midwest Gun Range in Elkhart and rent a couple of these for your own test. It would be the best 10 bucks plus ammo per gun you could spend. I know they have at least the XDm and a Glock to rent. Any of the 3 would be good. Its all personal. I am going to purchase a XDm this summer when my cash flow is better. I like the feel of it. Good Luck

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I guess i should add primary reason for owning is learning techniques and carry as well as something fun to shoot.

In my experience the ONLY kind of gun that is not fun to shoot is one that just doesn't work properly. A relative gave me a Davis Industries P380 a while ago and it falls into this category. It won't fire 2 rounds without jamming up. I tinkered with it for a while but that really got old.

You mentioned Springfield, Glock, and S&W and all of these are well respected manufacturers who produce well made handguns. I doubt you could go wrong with any of them. I personally have a handgun by each of these makers and am very satisfied.

But none of the above are my favorites. My favorite brand is Beretta, I have 4 Beretta's and love them all. No doubt about it, my favorite is the 92F 9mm.

I sure there are plenty of INGO members who have many more handguns than I do (I am working on that!!) but for me the #1 consideration when looking at a potential purchase is HOW IT FEELS in your hand. Kinda like trying on shoes, you might want in them for a bit, but if they don't feel right to start with, no amount of walking will help. For me, at least, handguns are similar. When you pick one up, it just feels like it's a part of your hand.

Top Bottom