• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I was wondering how long it would be before the it's all your fault crew jumped in. You guys do INGO proud. Thanks for not letting us down.

Ok now lets move on to people that actually have positive suggestions instead of opinions that nobody asked for. Thank you CM, SP and Ghitch for the positive suggestions. You guys never let us down.

So, the OP gave his opinion of how he felt Springfield CS treated him unfairly as he felt it was a warranty issue. He opined that this was poor customer service. Isn't it just as valid for others to point out that perhaps his view of their CS may be unfounded (as well as anyone else that might read and think at first blush that the OP got the shaft), as jacking up the bushing threads was his fault, not theirs?

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    So, the OP gave his opinion of how he felt Springfield CS treated him unfairly as he felt it was a warranty issue. He opined that this was poor customer service. Isn't it just as valid for others to point out that perhaps his view of their CS may be unfounded (as well as anyone else that might read and think at first blush that the OP got the shaft), as jacking up the bushing threads was his fault, not theirs?

The bushings came out with the screws. It is not suppose to do that.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

This isn't a post about who is right, Springfield Armory or me. Its about what their stand is on the issue in case it ever happens to someone else. Others have posted great tips and given great advice on what to do if it happens or ways to prevent it from happening. So if you have something positive to add then I look forward to reading your post. If you are looking for a finger pointing contest then this isn't the thread for you.

The bushings came out with the screws. It is not suppose to do that.

You are correct SERparacord. Thank You for yet another positive post. I have to say that I'm glad that you and Churchmouse have contributed a lot to this thread, since its both your faults for getting me hooked on the 1911's. :draw:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The proper way of bushing retention is to stake the bushing. The first pair is easy as a punch can go through the holes on the opposite side. The last two need a special made punch that is built with a "C" shape to get around the grip. (Brownells sell them) I have purchased two springfields where the bushings were not staked. Once properly staked (as in the armorer's manual) they never are a problem again. That is the first level of problem.

The second level applies to any pistol with replacable grips. Way to many people hamfist those little screws like they are tightening the head bolts on a John Deere. Rotate the screws until they have no play, and tweek it just enough more that they do not vibrate out. If the grips are still loose, you have another problem, that is not related to the screws. More than one pistol has tried to be traded in after an owner stripped out the holes for the grip screws.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The proper way of bushing retention is to stake the bushing. The first pair is easy as a punch can go through the holes on the opposite side. The last two need a special made punch that is built with a "C" shape to get around the grip. (Brownells sell them) I have purchased two springfields where the bushings were not staked. Once properly staked (as in the armorer's manual) they never are a problem again. That is the first level of problem.

The second level applies to any pistol with replacable grips. Way to many people hamfist those little screws like they are tightening the head bolts on a John Deere. Rotate the screws until they have no play, and tweek it just enough more that they do not vibrate out. If the grips are still loose, you have another problem, that is not related to the screws. More than one pistol has tried to be traded in after an owner stripped out the holes for the grip screws.

Can the bushings be removed once they have been staked? If so how is that completed?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    With staking there is a chance you will damage the threads. it is best just to use blue loctitie on them. especially if you may want then out in the future.

Thanks, that makes sense. Has anybody ever stripped the bushing threads where the grip screw, screws in? Do different grips of varying thickness require different bushings? In other words do they require shorter or longer shoulders on the bushings? If so would this be the only two reasons to change out the bushings?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks, that makes sense. Has anybody ever stripped the bushing threads where the grip screw, screws in? Do different grips of varying thickness require different bushings? In other words do they require shorter or longer shoulders on the bushings? If so would this be the only two reasons to change out the bushings?

I bought a Colt that 2 of the bushings were stripped. They had been staked and were a bit of a biatch to get out. Blue loc-tite can be heated with a heat gun and it will release. Most thread locking agents will do the same.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm a little partial to Permatex. It is an ITW company. ITW is the Mother Ship of the Company I work for. Need to help support the 401K ya know.

They own more companies than I can keep tack of.
    Here are some.
    Miller Welding
    Hobart Welding
    Hobart Food Equipment
    Paslode
    Signode
    Duo-Fast
    Sunbeam Electronics
    Devon
    Plexus
    DeVillbiss
    49% of Wilsonart
    and about 800 more brand names.

http://www.devcon.com/prodfiles/pdfs/fam_tds_350.pdf

Sm0keydaBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    United States
    This reminds me of an airsoft (yes I know not a real gun) pistol that was a replica basically of the 1911. I disassembled it once for an unknown reason, and it stayed that way.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I had a box full of stuff like that as a kid growing up. My Mom always asked when I was going to get rid of that box of junk in my closet. "JUNK" I would say. "Thats is my good stuff.

I would spend hours in my room building stuff and learning the mechanics of how things work. Some were just amazing like the Town I built out of cardboard with heliport, streets with streetlights and working electric garage doors. Well kind of working garage doors. The time spent doing that paved the way for a career in maintenance that evolved into technical sales.

All from a box of "junk" as Mom called it. I spend a lot of time working with my grandkids teaching them how to work on stuff. Probably best picture of all was my three year old Grandson helping me change the exhaust system on the Harley.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

Only 2 thicknesses of grips, standard and thin. You do need different bushings and screws for the thin ones.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a box full of stuff like that as a kid growing up. My Mom always asked when I was going to get rid of that box of junk in my closet. "JUNK" I would say. "Thats is my good stuff.

I would spend hours in my room building stuff and learning the mechanics of how things work. Some were just amazing like the Town I built out of cardboard with heliport, streets with streetlights and working electric garage doors. Well kind of working garage doors. The time spent doing that paved the way for a career in maintenance that evolved into technical sales.

All from a box of "junk" as Mom called it. I spend a lot of time working with my grandkids teaching them how to work on stuff. Probably best picture of all was my three year old Grandson helping me change the exhaust system on the Harley.

We called those things "Erector sets".....I had 10 complete sets at 1 time. All the drive motors and gear. Buddys would get them for "B" day or Christmas, loose interest and I would trade them out of them.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    We called those things "Erector sets".....I had 10 complete sets at 1 time. All the drive motors and gear. Buddys would get them for "B" day or Christmas, loose interest and I would trade them out of them.

i have 2 sets that where my dads motors and all.....one in red box and one in blue box.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i have 2 sets that where my dads motors and all.....one in red box and one in blue box.....

My darling mother (:() gave all mine away when they cleaned out the overhead in the garage. I was saving them for my boys. Would have made for some great Sunday afternoons.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    man that is to bad!!!!!.......mine are still in the attic at my moms.......i made so fun stuff when i was a kid......should drag them out some day....

Top Bottom