Springfield LW Loaded Champion allergic to hollow points.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    So, after 4 years of painful regret for selling my first Loaded Champion, I finally "replaced" it with the lightweight version. After yesterday's outing with a few friends putting her through the paces, I still cannot coax her to feed my Speer Gold Dot HP's. After functioning absolutely flawlessly with a few boxes of ball, should I start considering a feed ramp and throat polish to remedy the apparent allergic reaction to HP's? I tried two different brands of HP's and both factory Springfield mags and Chip McCormick Power Mags with no success feeding the HP's. I never had a problem with my first Loaded Champion but this one seems a bit stubborn. Do the 1911 aficionados have any grand knowledge? Am I rushing it considering a low round count or should I go ahead and have the polish work done? Thanks!

Edit: Anyone have opinions about a smith I should use in the Fort Wayne or Busco area?

Last edited:

1911 nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    Nothwest In.
    The 4" 1911's require around 1000 rounds of ball before the run great . I have a Sprigfield Champion and a Kimber Rapator 4" they took 950 and 800 before they ran right.

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Did the hollow points leave nicks in the feed ramp? I have had issues running hollow points in n alloy frame Colt. Some will install a steel feed ramp in an alloy frame to stop the hollow points from digging in

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Ed Brown and Wilson mags will help a bit but getting the round count up will help more than anything else.
    I've got a LW Loaded Champion and it doesn't like HPs at all. I finally got some to run through it dependably but the accuracy over 15 yds is horrible. Only gun like this I own so I just run 230 ball in mine.
    Mine has the factory set trigger in it and I should replace it to get better accuracy out of it. It's not consistent like I would have hoped it would have been. Not a daily carry so no hurry fancying it up.

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    The feed ramp has no marring on it but I think the Armory Kote on the frame may be hanging the hp's up. Correct me if I'm wrong but the feed ramp is already steel as it is part of the barrell. As far as the trigger and barrell go, I have actually been quite impressed with the accuracy of this pistol. If I can get it to eat hp's like it does ball, it will be my primary EDC (my g19 just cried in the background). I considered getting Wilson mags to remedy the problem but I didn't want to spend money on mags if a polish would do the trick. Anyone know of a smith in the area that isn't tied up for months?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I didnt realise it had a ramped barrel. Yea the feed ramp is a non issue that way.
    Polish job and better mags is a good place to start.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Have the feed ramp polished.

My dad's old AMT 1911 back when I had it, had problems feeding JHP's, had the ramp polished and eliminated 99% of the feeding problems until I had about another 500 rounds through it, then it was good as gold.

I still miss selling that, should have never gotten rid of it.

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Looks like I'll have to purchase a few Wilson mags and get in line with a local smith. Even if they are busy for months, it still might be faster than finding 800 rounds of ball to run through :(

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Just buy one Wilson mag to start with.
    Your LWLC has the ramp made on the barrel and polishing is ok to hurry up the process.
    One great thing about the .45 is even in ball it's a very effective defence round.
    Unless you just have to run HPs in it I'd just let nature take it's course. Run another 50-100 rounds and try it again.
    Also...since you're jammin on the ramp make sure your ammo isn't getting the bullet seated back into the brass.
    Once the bullet jams deeper into the brass it magnifies the feeding issues.
    Stand up some rounds side by side to make sure you're not running into this.

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I hope it doesn't take 1000 rounds with this one! Considering availability of 45 ball, it will belong to my future kids by then! On a positive note, I guess I have an excuse for more range time. :rockwoot: :ar15:

As far as why I would buy a gun that required such an extensive break in period, I can still carry my Tupperware until then and the 1911 is much more enjoyable to shoot.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've had my stainless steel 'Loaded" Champion for about 12 years now. I ran 300 rds of 230 gr. ball and another 150 of Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shoks through it in the first week. I had two feeding hang-ups in the first 100 rds using the factory magazines, none with four inexpensive Chip McCormick "Shooting Star" ones. After the first 300 rds, there were no malfs with either, but I bought another four of the McCormicks before I took it to the Chapman Academy for a five-day Defensive Pistol class.

In that five days, I shot almost 2000 rds of CCI Blazer 230 gr. ball and another 300 rds of S&B through it with no malfs except those deliberately set up for clearance/emergency action drills. The pistol was cleaned and lightly relubed after each day's class.

IIWY, I'd call Springfield and talk with their CS folks. Tell them what's happening and I'd bet that they'll do whatever's necessary to make it run right for you. They have a well deserved reputation for standing behind their products.

FWIW, I bought a stainless "Loaded" full-sized 1911-A1 about a year later. It's run flawlessly, too.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The feed ramp has no marring on it but I think the Armory Kote on the frame may be hanging the hp's up. Correct me if I'm wrong but the feed ramp is already steel as it is part of the barrell. As far as the trigger and barrell go, I have actually been quite impressed with the accuracy of this pistol. If I can get it to eat hp's like it does ball, it will be my primary EDC (my g19 just cried in the background). I considered getting Wilson mags to remedy the problem but I didn't want to spend money on mags if a polish would do the trick. Anyone know of a smith in the area that isn't tied up for months?

Matt, come and see me! I'll lend you a WC to try before you buy anything else or let anybody start messing with your feed ramp.

Top Bottom