• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I have never owned, but I have shot 1911's before. I am on the other hand, am looking at the above mentioned gun. I was wanting some feed back, likes, dislikes, suggestions on upgrades, etc, etc. thanks......ironjaw

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    The only thing I can recommend is more ammo!

DSCF9054-1.jpg

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    My favorite of the 1911 makers,great pistol out of the box & leaves lots of room for upgrades if wanted . I have 3 SA's of my own & wouldnt give them up for nothing . As far as upgrades the skies the limit ,I prefer a wider beavertail,long target trigger & commander style hammer but its all up to the user.Only bad thing to me is that they are addicting and they do command a certain amount of respect .

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Springfield, fantastic maker of 1911's. Instead of the GI 45 maybe look at the Mil-Spec. Seems to me its is the same gun but already has some of the upgrade/modifications.

From their website description for the Mil-Spec;

Springfield Armory

Just a thought on another possible option.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Go for it.

You will not be disappointed. I have two SA 1911's and have zero problems with over 2000 rounds through them. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    I say do it. But the GI sights blow, and i hated the loop on the bottom. I sent mine out and did some of the work my self. It started out like the lower pistol in WIZZO499 photo and then became this:

IMAG0119.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice. I polished everything that is shiny, and they look much better in person. Especially the hammer. And i had the lanyard loop taken off.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    The GI's are great guns, and I personally like the low profile sights for carrying, but they are alittle difficult to get use to (to me).

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I have owned the gi and the mil-spec and agree with the others, nice guns. The gi has 2 things that need replaced/modified IMO. As breas1 mentioned, the sight are very bad and the ejection port needs some relief to help with stovepipes but no matter what you do to it it's still a springer and that is a good thing

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    if you're interested in modding it you might as well pick up the mil-spec, no lanyard hole, already has a widened port, throated barrel with a polished ramp, sights are a bit better than gi. doubt you'll be disappointed with either. budsgunshop.com is a great place to pick one up if they have them in stock. i got my mil-spec for 581 from them

right2arms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    I have been wanting to buy a mil-spec SA 1911. I understand it is good witih FMJ but how does it handle varioys JHP, and how sharp are the sights.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I truly appreciate all the feedback. I am gonna get one, and the only upgrades that were suggested that I will probably do is the oversized beavertail. I also want to get the trigger down to 3.5-4 lbs. The sights and barrel suit me for now but there is always room for upgrades on down the road....thanks again to all......

Top Bottom